logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Adria07  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 3:19:20 AM(UTC)
Adria07

Groups: Registered
Germany

Hi, I've been experiencing some audio issues with my live production regarding 1 Host in Studio with Speakers on (he doesn't want to use in-ear headphones) and callers via vMix (advanced vMixCall).
I've watched a lot of tutorials and have browsed through this and other forums but I can't get rid of the tiny little echo that some callers experience while talking.

My studio setup:
-Host Mic: Rodelink connected to channel 1 (Rodecaster Pro)
-vMix Caller: Audio through USB channel (Rodecaster Pro)
--> I've activated the Audio processing feature: USB Mix-Minus
-The host hears the caller through speakers.

vMix settings:
-Host Mic added as an Audio Input. The mic is always "on" and in the Audio Mixer settings of the input I deactivated the headphone symbol. The audio is send to Master.
-vMix caller: Access through the advanced vmixcall browser link. The caller uses headphones and he deactivated the option "echo cancellation". We also tried it out while activating the option but the echo was still there. (I heard that this option should only be activated if the caller has no headphones on). In the Audio Mixer settings of the input the headphone symbol is activated (green). The return Audio Source is Master. The audio is send to Master and the mic is always on.
-General Settings -> Audio -> Automatically Mix Audio is "on" (activated)
The main audio that we record and stream is through Master.

General liveshow setting: The host and the callers should be able to be heard all the time, even when they're not shown in the production window (f.ex. video is being played but audience can still hear the host talking).

With this setup I described before some callers hear themselves while talking as a very low echo. As a secondary option I've tried to enable Bus A as a return feed for the caller (host mic and caller are both activated in Bus A) but the echo is still there.

Is the echo problem linked to the speakers we use in the Studio or am I missing to activate or deactivate an option?
If anyone could help me out it would be so much appreciated! Thank you!
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 4:28:07 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Adria07 Go to Quoted Post
Is the echo problem linked to the speakers we use in the Studio or am I missing to activate or deactivate an option?

I'd say "Probably". To find out, do a test with exactly the same setup but substitute headphones for the speakers. If there's no echo with headphones but it returns when the speakers are live, then you have your answer.

The only thing I have found that helps to make speakers usable is to heavily treat the studio to give very "dead" acoustics which can minimise any resonant peaks in the frequency response. Otherwise, persuade the host to use an earpiece like most professional broadcasters do.
mavik  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2021 6:12:19 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 147 post(s)
I would suggest using a seperate bus and not the master to be send to the callers. Even if there is no difference in the audio it makes jst more sense for controlling everything. If the only option is with speakers on, you want to keep the soundlevel as low as possible, thus lowering the mic pick-up of the speaker sound. Another approach is to minimize the audio pick-up by changing position or the mic characteristic. From omni to cardiod for example.
Adria07  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 9, 2021 7:31:41 PM(UTC)
Adria07

Germany

Thank you very much for the answers, Zenvideo and Mavik. I'll try out both options and see how it goes!
fideba  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2021 6:43:09 PM(UTC)
fideba

Belgium

Originally Posted by: Adria07 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you very much for the answers, Zenvideo and Mavik. I'll try out both options and see how it goes!

Hi, did you have time to try this out ? I have exactly the same setup, and exactly the same issue
WaltG12  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2022 12:57:40 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
vMix Call, as I'm sure everyone reading this knows, doesn't know the echo cancellation features of programs like Zoom, as it can lead to a reduction in audio quality (among other issues), which is the last thing you want in a solution designed to provide higher quality audio.

However, if you use a separate bus for the vMix Call return audio to the Caller (which best practices would say you should do anyway), there are third party options you can use for your callers' QOL.

I wouldn't recommend using it on any bus that you're recording/broadcasting, but, as far as what the Callers themselves hear, how crisp the audio is isn't as much of a concern vs how comfortable they are.
ladoual  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2022 1:44:35 PM(UTC)
ladoual

Canada

Hello,

I'm trying to make a video call with vmix, but I'm having some difficulty managing the audio.

The caller audio is good and clean for me, but he hears a doubling of his voice like an echo.
About me, I'm using a rodecaster pro and microphone wireless pro go 2 .

My guest hears an echo of his voice.
we have tried to make a video call with headphones but the problem is still the same.

How can we resolve this issue?

Thanks.
mgrayeb  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2022 7:12:21 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I've recently started using a VST3 plugin in vMix called WT Automixer. It automatically "ducks" any mics that are not being used at any given moment during the show. I think it costs around $160 but I've found it helps and I think they have a free 7 day trial.
WaltG12  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2022 7:52:41 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ladoual Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I'm trying to make a video call with vmix, but I'm having some difficulty managing the audio.

The caller audio is good and clean for me, but he hears a doubling of his voice like an echo.
About me, I'm using a rodecaster pro and microphone wireless pro go 2 .

My guest hears an echo of his voice.
we have tried to make a video call with headphones but the problem is still the same.

How can we resolve this issue?

Thanks.

That'd depend on what's causing the issue.

You said you tried headphones, so that's not it.

Did you try setting the caller's audio & yours on separate buses?

Is it happening with every caller or just that one? If it's just that one, it could be an issue with completely unrelated settings on their end.

Adria07  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2022 10:06:21 PM(UTC)
Adria07

Germany

Originally Posted by: fideba Go to Quoted Post

Hi, did you have time to try this out ? I have exactly the same setup, and exactly the same issue

Hi fideba! In my case the problem lies definitely in the Speakers. I used a separate Bus for the return feed but the guests would still listen to their echo due to the speakers+host mic. The problem did NOT occur when the host (and guest) used headphones. I even wrote to vMix Support and they told me that there'll be echo as long as we use speakers.
Atm I'm lowering a bit the guests volume so he/she doesn't hear it that loud.