logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anders  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 8:53:34 AM(UTC)
Anders

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi,

I'm playing with the idea to include an Osmo Mobile 2 with its tracking features as an automatic followcam in my productions.
However, to use the tracking features, you are limited to the DJI app, and this leaves you with limited options for output.
The app does however have a streaming feature where you can stream directly to the major platforms like Youtube, but also to a custom RTMP server.
So the question is: What would be the easiest way to get this rtmp stream in to my vMix production?
It would be on the same LAN most likely, so it would be nice to not have to go to an wowza server located somewhere else or something like that.

Any idea how this could be done with the least amount of fuss and latency? I know Livestream Studio has a built in RTMP server which would be a very neat feature to have!

PS: I don't have an Osmo Mobile yet, but I assume it would work the same as any ios rtmp streamer.

Thanks!
pm  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:29:29 AM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

Check this thread: https://forums.vmix.com/...aspx?g=posts&t=12185

nginx or mistserver are two options.

Regards,
Patrick
thanks 1 user thanked pm for this useful post.
Anders on 8/9/2018(UTC)
Anders  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:11:29 AM(UTC)
Anders

pm wrote:
Hi

Check this thread: https://forums.vmix.com/...aspx?g=posts&t=12185

nginx or mistserver are two options.

Regards,
Patrick

Thanks!
I got it working with the DJI Go app and nginx with 2-3 seconds delay in vmix. However, the quality wasn't the greatest with the DJI app only streaming at ~1Mbit.
I can't see any settings for streaming quality except resolution in the DJI app, so this might not work good enough to use in a production.

Thanks anyway!
Yannick  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:42:24 AM(UTC)
Yannick

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hello Anders,

Have you thought about using an android tablet with an hdmi output to run the dji go app on.
Then you can just sample the hdmi signal with a sample card. This avoids the high latency and low quality of the WiFi stream.
I´m planning to do the same with the video feed of my mavic pro.
Unfortunately I do not have a tablet with hdmi out available at the moment to test it out.

DJI also offers their own tablet with hdmi output that should be perfect for what you need, however it´s rather pricey...
DJI Crystal Sky
thanks 1 user thanked Yannick for this useful post.
Anders on 8/9/2018(UTC)
Anders  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:24:18 AM(UTC)
Anders

Yannick wrote:
Hello Anders,

Have you thought about using an android tablet with an hdmi output to run the dji go app on.
Then you can just sample the hdmi signal with a sample card. This avoids the high latency and low quality of the WiFi stream.
I´m planning to do the same with the video feed of my mavic pro.
Unfortunately I do not have a tablet with hdmi out available at the moment to test it out.

DJI also offers their own tablet with hdmi output that should be perfect for what you need, however it´s rather pricey...
DJI Crystal Sky

Can you get a clean output from an Android hdmi out, or is it just mirroring the tablet? I can't find a way to hide the overlay on ios at least.
Yannick  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:43:18 AM(UTC)
Yannick

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
As far as I understood it with a normal tablet you can only mirror what you see on the tablet screen.
However the Crystal Sky seems to be able to do a separate clean hdmi feed.

Also I think there are other apps than the DJI Go app, for example Litchi, those should be available to generate clean hdmi for a tablet...
But I haven´t tested them myself, and I don´t know which apps work with the osmo...
Anders  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 1:52:12 PM(UTC)
Anders

Yannick wrote:
As far as I understood it with a normal tablet you can only mirror what you see on the tablet screen.
However the Crystal Sky seems to be able to do a separate clean hdmi feed.

Also I think there are other apps than the DJI Go app, for example Litchi, those should be available to generate clean hdmi for a tablet...
But I haven´t tested them myself, and I don´t know which apps work with the osmo...

Thanks, I'll check out the Crystal Sky monitors/tablets.

The idea was to use the automatic tracking of the Osmo, and then you have to use the DJI app.
Jav  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 10:36:54 PM(UTC)
Jav

Spain

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
elvis55  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 10:49:10 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
giroudf  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2022 9:45:50 PM(UTC)
giroudf

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
the best would be to use Switcher Studio that is the equivalent of VMIX running on a ipad/iphone.
the great feature in Switcher studio is it transforms your iphone camera into a remote camera, with local recording, tally light, remote zoom et focus.
adding a DJI osmo, you can mount the iphone on the Osmo and transform it into a remote PTZ.
Transmission is through wifi, so no wire needed but distance is pretty limited to 20m (or 60 feet) unless you use a particular setup.
from the receiver point of view, you can use another iphone and output the video with a lightning to hdmi adapter.
You can add 8 cameras(iphones) so you can build a full TV studio from a bunch of cheap iphone (minimum iphone7, since this is the first model to provide a decent camera).
the resolution is limited to 720p, but it is still enough for most of work unless you absolutely need full HD or 4k.
swicher studio is so complete that the use of an additional VMIX could be not needed, but Vmix offers a better interface and a lot of additional features not found in Switcher Studio.
I did not try this setup but another solution would be tu use switcher studio and the remote OSMO just for preview, and output the video signal from the iphone to another lightning/HDMI converter, so you would not use the wireless signal (or just for preview and comtrolling the DJI Osmo), and use the wired HDMI to VMIX for better quality. This would be a more complex setup with cabling, adapters, power supply, etc.. not sure it worth the pain.
For example you can add switcher studio a an additional set of remote camera (located on stage for example) with an access close to cameras/iphones, the access point being linked with wire to your main network near the VMX console.
It can be great for large scale events (like fairs or stadium) where you need mobiles cameras.
you set up a switcher studio multicam where it is needed and send the mix to VMIX with a RTMP connection (Switcher is able to stream to custom RTMP).
(you will still need a rtmp server in between to receive the stream from Switcher studio and forward it to VMIX).
There will be a serious lag, but sometimes you can afford it.
There are also pods (like PIVO or PIXIO pods) that are able to follow a subject (some use an hardware tracker), used mainly for Horse Jumping competition, that can be used instead a DJI OSMO.
This way you can follow your subject without the need for somebody taking care for the cameras.