logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
narcus  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2021 2:27:48 AM(UTC)
narcus

Groups: Registered
Austria

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
adding incremental numbers to recorded clips instead of Date and time. I need a predictable file name of the recorded clips for further automation...OBS does that and lots of software just adds a number at the end when a clip already exists. That is what we need. It might seem a small thing but I have been waiting for years now to start using vimix fully integrated in our workflow. Because that feature is extremely important for our workflow, we can use vmix only for slow motion.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2021 4:34:07 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: narcus Go to Quoted Post
adding incremental numbers to recorded clips instead of Date and time. I need a predictable file name of the recorded clips for further automation...OBS does that and lots of software just adds a number at the end when a clip already exists. That is what we need. It might seem a small thing but I have been waiting for years now to start using vimix fully integrated in our workflow. Because that feature is extremely important for our workflow, we can use vmix only for slow motion.

Have been auto renaming clips and added numbers if duplicate for years now with a bit of scripting.
Scripting (internal or external) is a nice and practical vMix feature
The files being chronological allows you to add numbers to the file name (and erase the dates)
narcus  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2021 5:24:15 AM(UTC)
narcus

Austria

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
well since all other software I know adds an incremental number if the file name already exists I was hoping they could implement it. I unfortunately don't have the expertise to write such a script...it is easier to use OBS for recording but it is not an elegant solution. Even if I could write a script it would be easier to tell the script for example to do something with the end number 2 and number 3 and leave number 4 as is.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2021 5:41:45 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: narcus Go to Quoted Post
well since all other software I know adds an incremental number if the file name already exists I was hoping they could implement it. I unfortunately don't have the expertise to write such a script...it is easier to use OBS for recording but it is not an elegant solution. Even if I could write a script it would be easier to tell the script for example to do something with the end number 2 and number 3 and leave number 4 as is.

I agree as when if a setting without a data/time the file now gets overwritten instead (be it that can also be a good thing in some situations )
Seems a few years long issue for you, could have solved the problem ( until a FR is granted ) by outsourcing a script or app creation. It saved us a ton of work with addded bonus not being restricted to a incremental number only ( categories- sections within a filename )