logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Peter Berglund  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 12:06:24 AM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Groups: Registered
Man
Sweden

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

I have not found this request anywhere, so sorry if this post will be a duplicate. I've been using vMix for a while now and done some 100+ live events. It's really a great application, but I have some stuff on my whish list and here is one of them:

It would be great to be able to set an in point for a video that could be stored in the project somehow. From time to time we get videos that should be included in the show which are not prepared (edited) in beforehand with the exact start point and sometimes there are changes in the schedule during a show which requires on-the-fly changes in what actually should be played out.

Okay, I know that you can scrub the video in the preview window to the position you would like to start at and then just bring it in program, but it's quite stressful to do that during a live event. So if you could prepare that input in advance using the preview window and store the in-point for the video it would be really good. And also define an out-point as well for that matter. Just as you do in Premiere for example when you have a clip in the source window and just press "I" and "O" for in and out points. Or as you do in vMix when using Reply.

If possible I would really like to have this feature for videos (on an individual level) in a vMix "List-input" as well. As it still is (I assume), vMix recommends from a performance point of view that you rather use lists instead of individual inputs for videos. That said, the in- and out-points then needs to be stored at a video file level (list level) rather than the input in vMix if you get what I mean.

If this is possible to achieve for videos, I assume it would also be possible for audio files.

Finally, regardless if the above feature would be implemented or not, I would like a "nudge" function for the play head in the preview window. Today you can just play or pause to find the exact start point which is really hard (if you would like to start at another position than 00:00). For many controls in vMix it's possible to use the scroll wheel for nudging a parameter, so why not implement this feature for the play head as well? Not sure what kind of "time-resolution" vMix has when it comes to videos that are paused, but at least one click on the wheel for each second. If possible i would love to have a wheel-click for each frame (ctrl+scroll?).

Hope anyone else finds this useful so it can be a reality. Thx!
/Peter
gzifcak  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 1:37:03 AM(UTC)
gzifcak

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This exists for individual videos, right click the timeline to add in and out points. No way to do it in lists as far as I know.
thanks 1 user thanked gzifcak for this useful post.
Peter Berglund on 11/18/2021(UTC)
Peter Berglund  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 1:50:13 AM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

So embarrassing... How can I have not discovered this feature after all these hours behind the screens...?! Yes it works great and I'm so happy for that. Thanks for your reply. I can also confirm that it actually works for list items also! And for audio files!

Long story short, THANKS! And forget about this post. But it might however enlighten others that this very good feature actually exists.

The only thing I still want is the "nudge" function in order to finetune the in point :)

/Peter
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 3:01:34 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Sorry Peter, vMix can only set In/Out at key frames, so "nudging" depends on the key frame interval. If you need finer adjustments you need to reencode with shorter intervals.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
doggy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 3:38:14 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Peter Berglund Go to Quoted Post
So embarrassing... How can I have not discovered this feature after all these hours behind the screens...?!

LOL https://www.vmix.com/help24/index.htm?Video.html

Peter Berglund  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 4:44:20 AM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

Well, what more can I say... I have already said I'm embarrassed that I didn't know that the feature already existed. Sorry for bothering you with this thread.

Regarding the "nudge" function, I still think it would be useful to have the ability to use the scroll wheel to finetune the play head position - even if it will be based on a keyframe interval and not individual frames.
MartLeib  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 6:29:55 AM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Well, there is actually a way to set in/out points between keyframes. Just rename your .mp4 file to be .mkv and import it to vMix, then you are able to select any frame as in/out point. If you move the playhead then the preview will still show only content from keyframes, but you are able to add in/out between them.
thanks 1 user thanked MartLeib for this useful post.
doggy  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 3:14:10 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
There is a SetPosition shortcut function (Value +/- = milliseconds) that one can use to to go left or right on the timeline (Preview) . Combine that with autohotkey to catch the scroll wheel and one can scrub using the mouse