logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
antexity  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 12:34:26 AM(UTC)
antexity

Groups: Registered
Canada

Hey All,

I have done a fair amount of reading beforehand but I couldn't find the true clear answer to my following question and I am sure it will get answered here.

We would like to be able to connect 2 churches together to capture their stream at the same time and have the ability to switch from one camera from one location A to the other camera at location B, quickly and easily. Location A would be the main hub and have the ability to control cameras at both locations

Down the road, we may want to add a third location.

Nothing has been purchased yet and planning to purchase the following:

4 - PTZ cameras (2 per location)
Sound Mixer
1 - Joystick

Questions:

1) Which VMIX version will be required to handle 4 cameras and the possibility to add future locations?
2) Can I control all cameras from one location and switch the feeds quickly and frequently?
3) Besides the above hardware, are there any switchers or controllers needed?
4) What sort of speed is required at each location. Assuming we are doing 1080p streaming?
5) How are the locations connected to each other?

If you have architecture diagrams already, that would be appreciated or if this has been answered already, please share the link.

Thanks so much in advance!

Jonathan

AudioGreg  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 1:33:20 AM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
my .02...

if you want vMix to issue any PTZ camera commands, and for the multi output capability you will likely need between 2 venues, i'd recommend either the 4k or Pro version of vMix. I like that you can buy into the lesser versions of vMix, and then can upgrade down the road without any financial penalty. So no harm in trying the less expensive versions first to see if they work for you.

controlling both vMix stations from one location is easily done with something like Bitfocus Companion or Central Control, or simply using a remote desktop solution to the remote vMix computer.

For controllers, I use both the TYST TY-1500HD for my main show, and 2x Companion/StreamDeck XL interfaced to everything for other duties. You can do without either, but sure makes it easier if you set it up well.

I always figure at least 10M upload speed for each 1080 feed I want to send out and set the outbound steam between 4-6M, usually leaves plenty of headroom for bandwidth. If you are sharing the internet source with other users (public wifi spot, office network, etc) then you may need considerably more upload/download speeds. Having your own internet source, and your own network(s) to control behind it is the most reliable way to do streaming business. Having access to the internet router for firewall port forwarding is almost a must these days.

To connect A/V at each end to the other, there are lots of ways depending on how many sources you want to share between ends, and how good your IT skills are. vMix call is the simplest way, and you can get full 1080 between copies of vMix. SRT feeds are an excellent solution, if you know how to manage the router port forwarding that is usually involved to get a successful connection. There are many ways at the end of the day to do this, but those 2 are probably the most often used around here.
mavik  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 3:11:19 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
What you plan to do sounds like you need something like birddog NDI cloud or medialooks VT. They both encoder the NDI and control signals over WAN connections.
You would need one vMix and strong GPUs for the gateway computers at the remote end. Then add all the NDI in your vMix and controll the remote sides as if they were local.
If you need more details let me know.
tehranstream  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2021 1:40:39 AM(UTC)
tehranstream

Iran (Islamic Republic Of)

Hi
Do you need to control the cameras remotely or will each camera have its own operator?
antexity  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2021 12:57:15 PM(UTC)
antexity

Canada

Originally Posted by: AudioGreg Go to Quoted Post
my .02...

if you want vMix to issue any PTZ camera commands, and for the multi output capability you will likely need between 2 venues, i'd recommend either the 4k or Pro version of vMix. I like that you can buy into the lesser versions of vMix, and then can upgrade down the road without any financial penalty. So no harm in trying the less expensive versions first to see if they work for you.

controlling both vMix stations from one location is easily done with something like Bitfocus Companion or Central Control, or simply using a remote desktop solution to the remote vMix computer.

For controllers, I use both the TYST TY-1500HD for my main show, and 2x Companion/StreamDeck XL interfaced to everything for other duties. You can do without either, but sure makes it easier if you set it up well.

I always figure at least 10M upload speed for each 1080 feed I want to send out and set the outbound steam between 4-6M, usually leaves plenty of headroom for bandwidth. If you are sharing the internet source with other users (public wifi spot, office network, etc) then you may need considerably more upload/download speeds. Having your own internet source, and your own network(s) to control behind it is the most reliable way to do streaming business. Having access to the internet router for firewall port forwarding is almost a must these days.

To connect A/V at each end to the other, there are lots of ways depending on how many sources you want to share between ends, and how good your IT skills are. vMix call is the simplest way, and you can get full 1080 between copies of vMix. SRT feeds are an excellent solution, if you know how to manage the router port forwarding that is usually involved to get a successful connection. There are many ways at the end of the day to do this, but those 2 are probably the most often used around here.

Sorry for the delay to respond, was OOO for a couple of weeks. Thanks for your time to respond!

On the TYST I noticed a bunch of blank buttons, are they able to program them like a stream deck?

From the main hub, I would like to control the cameras from a remote location. I took a look at Companion and watched some YouTube videos. From what it looks like, its button emulator or a stream deck setup software, what I couldn't gather is how to use Companion at the Main Hub to control the remote location, in other words, is there a way to network both companions over the internet?

I took a look at the vMix call. Really interesting! If I understand it correctly, at the main hub, I will host a call and provide the guest (remote location) with the contact information. What I couldn't figure out is how to switch from Camera 1 to Camera 2 at the remote location on the fly without dropping the connection.

Thank you!
antexity  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2021 12:59:17 PM(UTC)
antexity

Canada

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
What you plan to do sounds like you need something like birddog NDI cloud or medialooks VT. They both encoder the NDI and control signals over WAN connections.
You would need one vMix and strong GPUs for the gateway computers at the remote end. Then add all the NDI in your vMix and controll the remote sides as if they were local.
If you need more details let me know.

Really cool software!!! I took a look at the cost and it exceeds the churches budget. Is there an alternate more cost effective solution which would allow to network all the NDI cameras over the WAN connection and have them added to Vmix for control?

Thank you very much!
antexity  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2021 1:00:48 PM(UTC)
antexity

Canada

Originally Posted by: tehranstream Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Do you need to control the cameras remotely or will each camera have its own operator?

Thanks for your response!

There will be the main hub that has all the controls. The remote site will have 2 cameras, a projector, a sound system, and a computer. From the Main hub, I would like to be able to connect and switch on the fly, the remote cameras, easily and effectively.

Thanks!
AudioGreg  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2021 12:25:06 PM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: antexity Go to Quoted Post
Sorry for the delay to respond, was OOO for a couple of weeks. Thanks for your time to respond!

On the TYST I noticed a bunch of blank buttons, are they able to program them like a stream deck?

From the main hub, I would like to control the cameras from a remote location. I took a look at Companion and watched some YouTube videos. From what it looks like, its button emulator or a stream deck setup software, what I couldn't gather is how to use Companion at the Main Hub to control the remote location, in other words, is there a way to network both companions over the internet?

I took a look at the vMix call. Really interesting! If I understand it correctly, at the main hub, I will host a call and provide the guest (remote location) with the contact information. What I couldn't figure out is how to switch from Camera 1 to Camera 2 at the remote location on the fly without dropping the connection.

Thank you!

The TYST panel is simply a MIDI controller and is programmed using the vMix shortcuts/activators. This is best suited to controlling your local vMix. Yes you can change the function of any key on its surface, as long as it's something you can use vMix shortcuts for.

Companion is better suited for controlling multiple systems both local and remote, and uses networking to send commands to controlled devices. It allows you to attach commands to individual StreamDeck keys, and shines when you realize you can combine many commands onto a single key press. One example would be to add a control instance for your local vMix, another for your remote vMix, and a third to control your PTZ camera. Then one key can recall a stored PTZ position on a remote camera, select it as the active input on the remote vMix system, and then select the vMix call on your local vMix to see it in your show. In this example, you can do all of this with one copy of Companion, you just need a little networking know-how to connect to the remote vMix and camera.

For vMix call, yes you host a call from your main vMix. The remote vMix system would then "connect" to the call to send you the output of their system. This call would remain active as long as you need, sending you content as you control it as I described above.
antexity  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2021 9:39:50 AM(UTC)
antexity

Canada

Originally Posted by: AudioGreg Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: antexity Go to Quoted Post

Thank you!

The TYST panel is simply a MIDI controller and is programmed using the vMix shortcuts/activators. This is best suited to controlling your local vMix. Yes you can change the function of any key on its surface, as long as it's something you can use vMix shortcuts for.

Companion is better suited for controlling multiple systems both local and remote, and uses networking to send commands to controlled devices. It allows you to attach commands to individual StreamDeck keys, and shines when you realize you can combine many commands onto a single key press. One example would be to add a control instance for your local vMix, another for your remote vMix, and a third to control your PTZ camera. Then one key can recall a stored PTZ position on a remote camera, select it as the active input on the remote vMix system, and then select the vMix call on your local vMix to see it in your show. In this example, you can do all of this with one copy of Companion, you just need a little networking know-how to connect to the remote vMix and camera.

For vMix call, yes you host a call from your main vMix. The remote vMix system would then "connect" to the call to send you the output of their system. This call would remain active as long as you need, sending you content as you control it as I described above.

To further clarify the VMIX call, so I would setup a call between local and remote. Note: The remote location has 2 cameras. So I can setup 2 Streamdeck keys for remote camera 1 and another one for remote camera 2 where both buttons are configured to go through companion to send the signal over?

Another question, is VMIX Call remove the need for VPN to securely send video back and forth via the internet?

Here is the draft diagram I came up with, I would appreciate your thoughts on it. Thx! Diagram