logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DaveCS  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2021 2:18:11 PM(UTC)
DaveCS

Groups: Registered
United States

I recently put together a computer for my church to stream services through the internet using vMix. Our first attempt was Sunday July 4. It went OK.

Here is the thing we would like to straighten out first. Our old computer runs PowerPoint to a screen in the sanctuary and we use a remote to change slides. Our "newer" computer runs vMix with a single camera and sound through our mic mixer. Last Sunday I just pointed the camera at the screen when it was necessary to broadcast a PowerPoint slide. That doesn't work well. I found the vMix instruction video on using PowerPoint as an input and then using multi-view to project it on top of the video. I can also switch to PowerPoint only for broadcast. Awesome!! This will make the presentation a bit more professional next week. However this means switching the slide on the computer running the screen in the sanctuary and switching the slide in vMix. I would love to combine these two so that one click or one press on the remote switches PowerPoint in the sanctuary and online at the same time. Way easier if I am alone running stuff.

Questions:
Can I run vMix and PowerPoint on the same computer at the same time? I have a 1050ti that has 3 outputs so it could run both screens on the desk and the big screen as well. Would the slides then switch with one push of a button for both programs?
Can I run PowerPoint from the old computer to the new computer somehow? They are both on the same LAN.
Any ideas would be appreciated. If there is any other information you need to answer this question please let me know.

Thank you for your time,
Dave
ask  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2021 9:56:45 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
You simply need Powerpoint to be installed on the vMix machine. VMix will bring in your .pptx as an input. In doing so it uses PP'S export tool which converts the slides to images. Once imported right-click over the input and set the transition time to 0. Next, plug in your PP remote to the vMix PC. Open the shortcuts menu and add shortcuts. Use the find feature to identify the controller's buttons-usually down/up or page down/up. Choose NextItem and PreviousItem as the functions and associate the shortcuts with your PP input.
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2021 5:20:39 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Dave,

If I understand your situation correctly you would benefit from using NDI. If your network is setup as "Private" it will be a no-brainer.

I suggest you run Powerpoint on your old PC. This allows you to use your normal slide switcher, and if something bad happens to one of the PCs, the other one will keep running. On the old PC, install https://cdn.vmix.com/download/vMixDesktopCaptureNDI.zip and start it up. On your vMix PC, Change your Input with the Powerpoint presentation (cog wheel in it's preview window) to an NDI-Input and select (capture) the display on your old PC. We do this daily! Often capturing both displays when Powerpoint is in Presentation mode.

There are a number of other solutions, but they are in my view more limited. Let me know if my first idea does not work for you.
DaveCS  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2021 8:36:48 AM(UTC)
DaveCS

United States

Thanks for the input and sorry for the TWO MONTH delay in replying.

I ended up using NDI and it works really slick. We do have a private LAN that is Gigabit. There is no delay routing the PowerPoint to the vMix computer. It was super simple to set up. I had never heard of NDI so it was a new thing, but I like new things.

I could have installed PowerPoint on the vMix computer but that would mean conecting the big screen in the sanctuary to that computer as well. Not as easy as it may seem. Old projector using s-video to a newer computer with a 1050ti GPU. It can be done but I figure we'll go to that when I finally convince people we need a new projector that uses hdmi and is actually high definition.

"Those tech people always nosing around for more money in the budget."

Thanks again for the help.