logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mindware  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2021 9:35:02 PM(UTC)
mindware

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hello!

Does anyone have any experiences of vMix + NVIDIA's GRID vGPU (shared GPU)? Can this work or is there some bad experiences?

Any feedback is appreciated :)
Maximus  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 12:36:05 AM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi Mindware,
I have configured an AWS instance with nVidea GPU and I have been some testing with it. So far it works great during testing but I haven't done an event with it as yet. I use a NICE DCV config which installs the drivers for you. In the near future I will do a vMix Call event using that instance only. This is also an ideal use of the MAX license.

Maxi
thanks 1 user thanked Maximus for this useful post.
mjgraves on 9/11/2021(UTC)
mindware  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2021 5:50:20 AM(UTC)
mindware

United Kingdom

Thanks @Maximus for the info - I don't really know vMix so well (just a SysAdmin trying to support some of our video/edit users who want to use vMix via our private cloud infra), but we faced a really strange GPU latency issue issue when using GRID vGPU + vMix, hence the question. vMix would report the GPU rendering times as 40ms+ and that the GPU was overloaded, although it didn't seem overloaded.

My guess is that AWS are not using vGPU perhaps (maybe they are dedicated GPUs), so could explain why it's seemed fine for you.

Anyway, it turns out NVIDIA GRID enable a feature called FRL (frame rate limiter) by default to 60fps in an effort to constrain vGPU's from hogging resources - however no matter what FPS you set it to, the latency still existed. We had to completely disable FRL for the latency problem to go away - although NVIDIA recommend against that in production environments so not quite sure what to expect next :)

It's now over to our vMix experts to test, I'll report back if they face any other issues!
cchhita  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2021 7:13:40 AM(UTC)
cchhita

United States

Nvidia Grid drivers work well in AWS cloud with VMIX.
We have run productions in AWS for almost a year now without any major issues.
You just need to select the right instance size depending on your workflow. But vmix in the cloud runs without issue.