logo

Live Production Software Forums


Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bardos59  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:06:07 AM(UTC)
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups:
Joined: 1/13/2010(UTC)
Posts: 230

Hi Martin,is it possible to have a GUI where the 'Preview' Monitor can be omitted....I ask this as when working in the 'multiview', I can see all the inputs I want, but with the 'Preview' monitor removed, that would give me more space on the control monitor, ...I assume this would give the user the ability to move the audio mixer into that available space as well.....What I am really thinking about, is the ability to remove anything that is not very important.
Another thing, can the GUI be redone to look just like the multiview, where the audio meters would be an overlay and the options as a drop down menu...where the icon would just be under the meters, with the option to show or hide the audio meters by just clicking on the icon and choosing that option....This option could give the input monitors a larger size...better for seeing an out-of-focus camera much easier.
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:33:50 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/18/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,389
Location: Stockholm

Thanks: 110 times
Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 177 post(s)
I am a pretty ignorant newbie with vMix, but still find omitting the preview monitor to be an interesting feature, in order to optimize screen estate. Even more when combined with other thoughts I am still pondering concerning fixed positions for the input (and Program) modules. For the moment, pls regard this as just a remark.
Bardos59  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:42:11 PM(UTC)
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups:
Joined: 1/13/2010(UTC)
Posts: 230

I am wondering something.....can we have an option that vMix reopen the exact way it was closed, rather than just two (2) input windows, and, that even if an input is not available, that it can still be opened when reopening 'last preset', and that backgrounds be added without having to load them into vMix first....I ask this because I was setting up a virtual studio window, and could not get the background loaded...I had to first load it into vMix.....this would be a great asset. I know you work hard to implement a lot of great features, and that all are not easy to do, but just a wish....
Damn2Good4U  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:56:10 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/26/2013(UTC)
Posts: 373
Man
Location: London

Thanks: 41 times
Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Bardos59 wrote:
I am wondering something.....can we have an option that vMix reopen the exact way it was closed, rather than just two (2) input windows, and, that even if an input is not available, that it can still be opened when reopening 'last preset', and that backgrounds be added without having to load them into vMix first....I ask this because I was setting up a virtual studio window, and could not get the background loaded...I had to first load it into vMix.....this would be a great asset. I know you work hard to implement a lot of great features, and that all are not easy to do, but just a wish....


I am in support of this as well.. VB does that sorry that we have to compare, but it makes life easier coming back to seeing your last setup intact...
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:37:51 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/7/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,136
Man
Location: Canada

Thanks: 29 times
Was thanked: 375 time(s) in 356 post(s)
Clicking on "Last Preset" will load the last set-up that was used when vMix was last closed, which is convenient if nothing has changed with your set up, I'm not exactly clear as to what happens if your set up modifies or changes certain characteristics of built in features of vMix, such as virtual set backgrounds, but I suspect it defaults to "saved" feature set, meaning you would have to re-modify unless you are able to "save" it as a new virtual set.
Other than that, it is always best to save a set up as a preset if you have different set-ups and plan on using them frequently or in certain situations.
In terms of the Preview monitor, I am not in the habit of using the "multiview" display option so I am not sure what modifications could be easily made there and I can appreciate it's "apparent" waste of space in a fast paced live environment, sometimes you just don't have time to Preview, but I think it is a "necessary evil" (if you can call it that) because it has so many overall benefits that I am sure would be lost if the program had to be re-written to accommodate what you are asking. If you are comparing to other switchers, in VB for example, the Preview monitor is an advanced feature only available on higher end product, with vMix it's built in (BONUS). If you need to check focus... that's the place: Preview!
Just my thoughts.


Ice
Bardos59  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:13:29 AM(UTC)
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups:
Joined: 1/13/2010(UTC)
Posts: 230

IceStream wrote:
Clicking on "Last Preset" will load the last set-up that was used when vMix was last closed, which is convenient if nothing has changed with your set up, I'm not exactly clear as to what happens if your set up modifies or changes certain characteristics of built in features of vMix, such as virtual set backgrounds, but I suspect it defaults to "saved" feature set, meaning you would have to re-modify unless you are able to "save" it as a new virtual set.
Other than that, it is always best to save a set up as a preset if you have different set-ups and plan on using them frequently or in certain situations.
In terms of the Preview monitor, I am not in the habit of using the "multiview" display option so I am not sure what modifications could be easily made there and I can appreciate it's "apparent" waste of space in a fast paced live environment, sometimes you just don't have time to Preview, but I think it is a "necessary evil" (if you can call it that) because it has so many overall benefits that I am sure would be lost if the program had to be re-written to accommodate what you are asking. If you are comparing to other switchers, in VB for example, the Preview monitor is an advanced feature only available on higher end product, with vMix it's built in (BONUS). If you need to check focus... that's the place: Preview!
Just my thoughts.


Ice




Yes, you can save the setup, or just click 'last setup, but what I am saying is that should be a default setting where it loads the last setup when it is reopened, just a thought .....but in VB, I can change the input windows large enough to see if my focus is ok, and also in vMix..
I was running some shortcuts and I find that with those shortcuts, there is really no need to have a 'Preview'...but what I am saying, it can be a choice to have or not to have a preview window....as in VB....Before I discovered vMix, I was using VB, and I seldom used the preview window....as, all I had to do is click on the input and it was taken or click on transition and it would use the selected transition or the default which is set as dissolve.....We, my friend and I, as I use his system, would have our camera inputs set large enough to be able to check the focus...all player windows were placed in an area that they could be easily accessed, but we always kept the camera windows under the main window.....and players and cameras were not the same size, neither did they look the same, nor could you get mixed up with them....In vMix, I have to rename my inputs so I know which is a camera from a player..If I have someone who is not very familiar with vMix that can create a problem, as all inputs are set up in the same row, and look the same....not so in VB, CutFour,or even vjdirector, and for that matter none of the other programs I used or tested....They always have a distinction between camera modules and all other modules....
I know Martin does his best to keep this program the best, but all programs have their pros and cons...vMix has far more pros than cons, but has a lot of room for improvements and features, even though there is none like it out there, it is the best ...salute to Martin...
There are two basic things I would really like to see in vMix, and one is having a distinction between camera and other modules (windows) and my long wished for switcher with a vertical 'T' bar...I know Martin try to keep the cost to consumer as low as possible, which is great, but if there is a way to implement these, it would be even greater...
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 8:22:33 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/18/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,389
Location: Stockholm

Thanks: 110 times
Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 177 post(s)
Guess Martin should decide, but I think it is important to keep the topics focused. Please excuse me Bardos59, but while I agree with your concern regarding vMix's window and preset, I think it's a different request.

In any case, I filed the new request "Preserve vMix's window setting". So we will see if more users would like that :)
Bardos59  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:13:28 PM(UTC)
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups:
Joined: 1/13/2010(UTC)
Posts: 230

Thanks Richard..I saw your repost......

I was working on Tuesday with my partner, and we were using the multiview, as we were not projecting and I notice something that I must comment on.....I find that the borders around the windows are very thick...I wish there were much thiner.It was the first time since we used colour , as we have had all colours set to black, but for the sake of the client who was directing, we changed it back to Red for output, and Green for Preview, and I must say...those borders are way too thick...even the client commented on it.....

I wish there was a method where the input windows on multiview could be named or numbered, sort of like an overlay, that could be turned on or off, as the user wishes...This would help in a case where the director could just call the take he or she wants, the same way it is on the main window... This would be greatly welcomed in my case, where we prefer not o use the colour bars on the top ...we use Black, as to me, and my partner, find it easier to look at especially when we have long takes of over 6 or more hours....In our inputs we have CAM 1, CAM 2 etc, and we name our clip windows except when we use a List where each clip in our list has its own Name....If this could be implemented in the multiview windows, that would be a great asset....
richardgatarski  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:21:20 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/18/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,389
Location: Stockholm

Thanks: 110 times
Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 177 post(s)
Bardos59, sorry but I'm lost. You started out with a simple focused request (described by this topic's name. Then you added different posts and discuss all kinds of issues. Even though I find them interesting, I will simply get off this topic. But if you start other, well named topics with a clear focus I will gladly contribute with my thoughts.
Bardos59  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:23:04 AM(UTC)
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups:
Joined: 1/13/2010(UTC)
Posts: 230

richardgatarski wrote:
Bardos59, sorry but I'm lost. You started out with a simple focused request (described by this topic's name. Then you added different posts and discuss all kinds of issues. Even though I find them interesting, I will simply get off this topic. But if you start other, well named topics with a clear focus I will gladly contribute with my thoughts.



I did not want to make too many posts, so as the ideas came to me, I just mentioned them....I will re-post the second have in a new post...
Damn2Good4U  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:04:49 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/26/2013(UTC)
Posts: 373
Man
Location: London

Thanks: 41 times
Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
Bardos59, sorry but I'm lost. You started out with a simple focused request (described by this topic's name. Then you added different posts and discuss all kinds of issues. Even though I find them interesting, I will simply get off this topic. But if you start other, well named topics with a clear focus I will gladly contribute with my thoughts.


I am in total support of the above, so as to keep the forum clean and easy to follow..

I think it does not matter how many issues you want to raise, for as long as we do not combine different issues under one topic, it keeps us all abreast Issue/problem/bug and the final solution from the experts at the end of the day.

Just my own little thought...

Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.