logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Revocayne  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 6:33:20 PM(UTC)
Revocayne

Groups: Registered
Malaysia

Hi All, I've created a custom UVmap Virtual Set where i can conveniently insert my sources inside. However, this glitch line appears when I zoom in or out using the virtual set. I've created my UVmap using GIMP tutorial and vmix UVmap doesn't work as it distorts my image weirdly. Please refer to the video link in Google Drive for reference of my problem. Would appreciate a lot if anyone could help me. It's kind of urgent.

Video Reference

Refer to this sample photo too.
9.PNG (915kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
doggy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 8:30:55 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Hard to see from a flat image ( video) which layer is creating the "distortion" .Maybe provide the source or remove (untick) each layer to see which one is causing it or change footage put in to the UVmap layer
Maybe even crop a few pixels from the UVmap
Revocayne  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 9:21:40 PM(UTC)
Revocayne

Malaysia

The layer with problem occurred is this image layer where I name it as Talent layer. Changing footages wouldn't help because the line will still be there. Suspecting UVmap issue but it was the sample given on the vMix website.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 9:52:45 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

image layer for talent ? makes sense NOT.
If you suspect it to be the uvmap , replace it with another one

your information ( not the one asked) is confusing

Quote:
-Is UV map provided by vMix website
-vMix UVmap doesn't work , distorts
-i created own UVmap

So which is it ?
Revocayne  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 10:46:31 PM(UTC)
Revocayne

Malaysia

Round 1 (half a year ago):
original UVmap downloaded from vMix website, distorts my image in virtual set. Self create GIMP UVmap following tutorial but has glitch lines.

Round 2 (now):
Original UVmap download from vMix website again, edited with photoshop to scale and reposition them to match with my custom virtual set. It works but it has glitch lines as well.
doggy  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 12:03:53 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: Revocayne Go to Quoted Post
Round 1 (half a year ago):
original UVmap downloaded from vMix website, distorts my image in virtual set. Self create GIMP UVmap following tutorial but has glitch lines.

Round 2 (now):
Original UVmap download from vMix website again, edited with photoshop to scale and reposition them to match with my custom virtual set. It works but it has glitch lines as well.

Is this going to be a repeat from https://forums.vmix.com/...-from-custom-Virtual-Set ?

why not just send the VS instead of this guessing game
Revocayne  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 12:11:19 AM(UTC)
Revocayne

Malaysia

Yes, the problem is still there until now.

The VS is here.

Thanks. The last thread didn't have an answer either. That's why creating this new thread. Thanks for still attending to me.
doggy  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 12:59:45 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Seems like an error in the Talent image as a whole , mistake made when resizing the UV Map and becomes obvious when the footage in the UVmap has transparent background at the edges ( top and left only).
Doesnt seem to happen with your other screens, assume you used the same base uvmap before modifying the shape?
Revocayne  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 2:29:43 AM(UTC)
Revocayne

Malaysia

Yes I'm using the same UV map for resizing. Other UV maps also have this glitch line just that it's somehow covered or blended in with the edges of the virtual stage design.
Can you guide me on what's the proper way of resizing the UVmap? I'm only using Photoshop to distort and warp them accordingly to surfaces.
doggy  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 2:33:30 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Can you guide me on what's the proper way of resizing the UVmap?

What about cropping the original with a few pixels each side ?
Revocayne  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 2:34:26 AM(UTC)
Revocayne

Malaysia

I've tried this method as it's recommended from the last thread by someone. But it doesn't work for me.
doggy  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 7:44:16 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Conclusion so far :

Problem arises using the camera zooms of the VS when the input within the uvmap is zoomed out (smaller than the map)

if one uses a full screen UVmap , zooms that map within the virtual set ( either within the Config.xml or the layer of the VS in the vMix position ) than this does not happen

this is ok like for a talent layer

Other modifications to the uvmap ( curved, circle cutouts etc) are mostly also resized with the full image and match in position to the virtual set.
In that case whenever a input within the uvmap is zoomed out ( shows transparency at the sides) one will see these edge artifacts appear when on does a camera move within the virtual set.

Seems ( confirmed by vMix ) that whenever one modifies a uvmap and scale it within a full sized image Gimps as well as photoshop antialliases the edges of the UVmap within the image resulting in the artifact at the transparent parts. SO far not managed to cut say with a few pixels the edges of to make them "sharp" of disable this from happening when saving a modfied image

solution so far: if one thinks they will need the zoom out the footage , use a full screen UVmap ( Talent ) and resize in the config or in the VS input settings. all others try to fit them behind your studio image ( say behind a frame or other layer on top of it ). its always the edge of the UVmap regardless of its shape

Not using a white studio also helps ;-)
matkeane  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2021 12:53:50 AM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I downloaded the test files and have created a new UV map (which is hopefully attached here) for the Talent layer. I still see some slight glitches along the bottom-right edges of the talent layer when I zoom, but I did notice some artefacts in the source (i.e. there may be some non-keyed pixels along the edges of the image ?)

Silly question but, if you don't need to warp or distort the talent layer like the other screens, couldn't you just use a normal layer with position & scaling, rather than a UV map ?

Anyway, let me know if that improves things for you... You'll need to change the name of the UV map in your config file of course.

OK, actually 2 files attached now - one with cropped/feathered edges.

Talent m01 AE.png (392kb) downloaded 3 time(s). Talent m03 AE crop feather.png (392kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
doggy  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2021 1:03:48 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

As pointed out before one can use a full sized UVmap and zoom it in the config file for a talent !

The problem arises when resizing a UVmap and put it on a transparent full frame background to have it a fixed position in the full frame sized image layer
Revocayne  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 5:46:52 PM(UTC)
Revocayne

Malaysia

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the suggestions! I used a fixed sized UVmap for talent is because i wanted to have an easy switch on sources without having to reconfiguring the sizes and crops again when i place multiple virtual sets. I'll try out the sample given by matkeane and update here again. Thanks! May i also know how @matkeane created your UVmap?
Revocayne  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 8:46:34 PM(UTC)
Revocayne

Malaysia

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
I downloaded the test files and have created a new UV map (which is hopefully attached here) for the Talent layer. I still see some slight glitches along the bottom-right edges of the talent layer when I zoom, but I did notice some artefacts in the source (i.e. there may be some non-keyed pixels along the edges of the image ?)

Silly question but, if you don't need to warp or distort the talent layer like the other screens, couldn't you just use a normal layer with position & scaling, rather than a UV map ?

Anyway, let me know if that improves things for you... You'll need to change the name of the UV map in your config file of course.

OK, actually 2 files attached now - one with cropped/feathered edges.

Talent m01 AE.png (392kb) downloaded 3 time(s). Talent m03 AE crop feather.png (392kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

I've tried your UVmaps here. The one without feather M01 AE has glitch edge on bottom and bottom right edge. while the Cropped feathered M03 AE only has glitch edge on bottom but not at right. It's interesting that my UVmap has glitch on top and left while yours have it at the bottom. Would like to know how you create the UVmaps and we could discuss further to find a solution for this.
matkeane  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 9:15:54 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I created the UV maps in After Effects - partly because I was curious if there is any difference between the scaling processes between AE and Photoshop. It's interesting that you're still seeing a glitch on the bottom edge, as I didn't see that on a fullscreen output on my machine (running 24.0.0.63 with an RTX2070S).
doggy  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 9:20:27 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

As mentioned before

Quote:
Seems ( confirmed by vMix ) that whenever one modifies a uvmap and scale it within a full sized image Gimps as well as photoshop antialliases the edges of the UVmap within the image resulting in the artifact at the transparent parts. SO far not managed to cut say with a few pixels the edges of to make them "sharp" of disable this from happening when saving a modfied image

Searching seems to pop up several complaints for various image editors to this

Probably the reason also why it doesnt seem to happen using a fullsized original UVmap resized by code in the VS config file
Revocayne  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 9:41:32 PM(UTC)
Revocayne

Malaysia

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
I created the UV maps in After Effects - partly because I was curious if there is any difference between the scaling processes between AE and Photoshop. It's interesting that you're still seeing a glitch on the bottom edge, as I didn't see that on a fullscreen output on my machine (running 24.0.0.63 with an RTX2070S).

I didn't understand why either. It's weird. Just double checked again on full screen output and yes, the glitch line is there at the bottom.
Using vMix 24.0.0.58 with RTX 2060

Quote:
Searching seems to pop up several complaints for various image editors to this

Probably the reason also why it doesnt seem to happen using a fullsized original UVmap resized by code in the VS config file

Yes it seems like this is the only workaround for now. Thank you so much for all your help and assistance. Appreciate it fully. Was wondering how people create the UVmap that fits directly on the virtual sets, maybe through 3D software? Anyone tried that approach yet?
doggy  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 9:48:12 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Yes it seems like this is the only workaround for now.

I believe you using it in a predominantly white VS made it way more obvious to notice (this flaw) compare to a more colorful/crowded VS

The UV maps on their own are correct , is when combining them with other layers (mostly a transparent one) in image editor the result is creating the issue