logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bluesky  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2021 3:01:19 AM(UTC)
bluesky

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hi,

Can somebody please confirm/advise what they think is the best practice when using vMix with Microsoft Teams(NDI).
Normally, my standard setup was vMix laptop + two Teams laptops (1 teams Powerpoint + 1 teams pinned presenter, or various Teams gallery pinned views, Q&A states, etc.), using vMix DesktopCaptureNDI on Teams laptops...was not using Teams NDI as I found it not too stable originally, and time consuming for quick setups and changes during the live shows/streams.
Latest version of Teams changes some functionality, and now limits possibilities of screen-grabing and various states & pinning... so I have to go full NDI in Teams.

When using Teams 'Broadcast over NDI' (i.e. with two laptops on same local network) do you:
1. Still start/use vMix Desktop Capture for NDI app on the Teams source computer/laptop (i.e. 'just in case' or for audio/video backup)
2. Use/start the Newtek NDI Tools app (on Teams laptop)
3. Not use any of above (1 and 2), as vMix can pull the Teams NDI feed directly from other computer on same local network.

Any comments/suggestions very much appreciated.

Many thanks
mavik  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 1:06:30 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
All these video conferences come with some sort ob obsticle when you need a bigger audience. In most cases you could use some sort of VCU software to connect to these meetings and connect that way. Another way might be to take a look into rec.vc or pexip to join rooms.
Pepsi(~)  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2021 9:50:38 PM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I’ve been running and optimizing my flow for Teams live events.

Until now Teams is known to consume more cpu and memory resources than other meeting tools. (Microsoft is working on this.)
I use a 3 laptop setup for a Live event.

Systems all have a Nvidia GPU that will improve performance.

System1. Joins a normal teams meeting. I use NDI to get all the video streams of the presenters. But also a ndi stream back with a multiview.
System2 the vmix system pulling and pushing ndi streams (intel i9 9th gen, rtx2080, 32g, 2 ssd in a raid stripset)
System3 the system that is in the live event. Getting an ndi feed in for audio and video
bluesky  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2021 10:32:50 PM(UTC)
bluesky

United Kingdom

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
Very useful information. Good to see what other people are doing.
I've thought it will be more interest in this topic/workflow.

Yes, I am the same... still optimising ;-)

Not sure what your System3 is doing exactly, but might get idea.

I also use 3 laptops + atem mini pro (for backup stream and recording)
My 3rd laptop is just backup, with copy of the vMix setup and teams, ready to go if anything happens to any of the other 2.

I run Teams on separate laptop and vMix on the main laptop (zbook, G6)
vMix is taking all teams NDI feeds and streaming directly to vimeo. Backup recording is on separate device (atem mini pro).
I also sometimes push vMix TX back to teams (if I have to) but trying to keep load to minimum.

Issues I currently have:
- limit of Teams NDI feeds laptop/system can take. The other day I had 12-14 in vMix and system was strugling. Now, I try to limit Teams NDI inputs to 5-6, and change them on the fly. Also, not sure how Teams NDI works in terms of vMix and NDI network bandwith. Are all Teams NDI feeds treated as one input/bandwith in vMix, or all of them add up (i.e. as separate NDI feeds/inputs)?
- Teams NDI sound delay/lipsync. There is definitely some, and not easy to fix in vMix. Seems vMix is strugling with NDI input sound delay. When I change it, whole system goes into overdrive and stream suffers and completely loses sync and stutters. Might be just my system though. Easier (and safer) to do via digital sound desk/mixer.
- I still use vMix desktop capture for Q&A speaker panels, i.e. if more than 6. You lose a bit on design, but much safer option then all NDI.

Cheers
Pepsi(~)  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 1:24:00 AM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi,

You can only have 1x the Teams application running per system.
System 1 Is in a normal teams call. Only the full client is able to generate NDI out.
System 3 is in a Teams live event. (We do not use the RTMP option for Teams live events. Because that is for internal only) and also this can only run/control from the full client.

I know the producer PC/role/system can be set on another computer. And that as a presenter, other hardware can be used. But that would make the amount of computer needed only more.

Pepsi