logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gerard  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 3:56:11 AM(UTC)
Gerard

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The vMix Call documentation is very clear in saying that it requires certain firewall ports to be enabled:

HTTPS: Port 443 TCP (outbound)
TURN/STUN: Port 10349 UDP/TCP (outbound)
Video/Audio Streams: Dynamic Port Allocation UDP - 49152-65535 (inbound)

Unfortunately the 49152 - 65535 range is routinely blocked off by corporate firewalls.

Zoom requires:
TCP 80, 443
TCP 443, 8801, 8802
UDP 3478, 3479, 8801, 8802

MS Teams requires:
TCP ports 80 and 443 from the clients to the internet, and
UDP ports 3478 - 3481 from the clients to the internet

You will see there is considerable overlap in ports required between Zoom and MS Teams.

My question is why can't vMix Call use a similar range to Zoom and MS Teams?

We would have much less hassle with corporate clients.
thanks 1 user thanked Gerard for this useful post.
vvcvvc on 3/27/2021(UTC)
Babbit  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 7:25:47 AM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
You're barking up the wrong tree here. It's mentioned in the same page you're referencing:

Quote:
vMix Call uses WebRTC which requires a random UDP port to be selected for each call (This is the Dynamic Port Allocation above).
This port is then used to send/receive video/audio between vMix and the caller.
For more information on how this works, search for the relevant WebRTC standards online.

WebRTC was started by Google and is supported by a number of browser developers. It's what allows connectivity via web browsers versus installing programs, such as Zoom or Teams.

vMix is simply living in their world to enable video calls in the vMix ecosystem without additional software. Those same corporate entities that are blocking ports probably don't let regular users install new software on a whim.

The changes you would like require changes on the part of the WebRTC developers, and then in turn all the browser developers would need to revise their programs and push them out to end users.

pingu2k  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 5:29:01 AM(UTC)
pingu2k

Germany

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
To sum it up to an easier question:
How do you deal with corporate clients for remote productions?

Many big companies have restrictive firewalls and do not want videocalls at all (in 2021! #neuland) or use only their system (webex, skype, teams, etc). Sometimes vMix Call works (with shitty quality), some times it won't work at all. For my last production I needed to use Skype for Business, this system is so bad and, thanks MS, will be abandoned soon for Teams (NDI! wohoo).

I tried to open up the mentioned ports on my Router to make it easier to connect for external signals, but this wont help either.
JonHall.conp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2021 3:39:22 AM(UTC)
JonHall.conp

United States

Have you had any luck? I've been trying to get STUN working from outside our network without any success. We're not seeing anything blocked on the firewall (Palo Alto). At this point I don't know if we're missing something on the firewall or if it's an internal switching issue.
simond83  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2021 5:55:14 PM(UTC)
simond83

I'm not an expert on networking, but this is a common issue with CORP networks.

With SRT, in rendezvous mode, the hope was that software behind the firewall calling out would be able to complete the handshake, vs Caller/Listener. I haven't had a chance to test this much, but it's not ideal. Is this something NDI 5 can possibly solve?
MartLeib  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2021 3:23:12 AM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JonHall.conp Go to Quoted Post
Have you had any luck? I've been trying to get STUN working from outside our network without any success. We're not seeing anything blocked on the firewall (Palo Alto). At this point I don't know if we're missing something on the firewall or if it's an internal switching issue.

Most of the time when vMix Call has failed me I have gotten through using https://vdo.ninja/ why is that, I do not know and have not researched it yet, but it seems to work better for corporate networks. Your mileage may vary of course.
BrownHatMedia_Dave  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 1:01:56 AM(UTC)
BrownHatMedia_Dave

United States

Originally Posted by: JonHall.conp Go to Quoted Post

We've had success getting STUN to work with our network (higher ed). We just have to with with our Networking and IT Security teams to allow that protocol to happen. Doing so will also allow you to pull a non-degraded video resolution, if our tests are true. Before opening it up we were getting a 360 signal back, afterwards we were getting 720 or 1080 (depending on the webcam.)