logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fwieland  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 7:48:52 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Groups: Registered
Switzerland

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I came across something which looks like a bug to me:
I am preparing a show with up to 23 callers at the same time coming from 3 vMix machines. Each machine has an input with 8 of their callers each assigned to one layer of the input, to create a caller wall. Because there are 74 callers in total I created a preset with the first 8 callers, then added another 8 callers in a presert, and so on until I have all callers set up. The first 8 are active and will be closed when they are done. Then the next 8 will be activated by reseting the input and so on. then I created severall inputs, each with blocks of 8 callers as a PIP wall.
When I save and reopen the session, only the active callers are still assigned to their layers. All the layers which have offline callers assigned to them are empty, except one, which I activated once previously, but is inactive at the time.

Any ideas?
matkeane  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 9:56:59 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Not sure if it's a bug, or simply the way vMix functions. Changes to offline inputs don't appear to be saved with presets - perhaps to avoid accidental changes to an input which can't be checked.

As a workaround, if you want to swap 8 calls in a multiview on the fly, I'd look into doing it with shortcuts.
fwieland  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 10:11:15 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
Not sure if it's a bug, or simply the way vMix functions. Changes to offline inputs don't appear to be saved with presets - perhaps to avoid accidental changes to an input which can't be checked.

As a workaround, if you want to swap 8 calls in a multiview on the fly, I'd look into doing it with shortcuts.

I'm not actually making changes to an offline input. The callers are offline, but the Inputs with the PIP walls that I assign the offline callers to are not.
But I figured also it had something to do with them being online. What puzzles me is that one of the inputs still sticks, even though it is offline and it is exactly the one input that was online at one time. Seems it will save changes if the input was online at one point inside that preset.
matkeane  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 2:31:59 AM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I think - but it's just a guess - that vMix checks for offline inputs when saving presets and considers them as invalid sources, which is why they're not 'sticking' in your multiview inputs.

As you know, only the first 8 calls will be active when you open the preset. But if you change the order of your inputs, so that calls 9-16 appear before calls 1-8 and then save, calls 9-16 will be active the next time you open the preset, so you could set up your second multiview. But, my guess is that your multiview with calls 1-8 will then lose its sources...

Even deleting and appending new calls on the fly is a pain, to be honest. A multiview which references deleted calls will have all its layer sources unset, so when you append your new calls (even to the same input slots), you'll still have to reassign them to the multiview layers (faster with shortcuts, but still...). All in all, I'd still be tempted to save each preset with 8 calls and a multiview, and load presets on the fly, especially with 3 machines at your disposal.
fwieland  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 2:43:03 AM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
I think - but it's just a guess - that vMix checks for offline inputs when saving presets and considers them as invalid sources, which is why they're not 'sticking' in your multiview inputs.

As you know, only the first 8 calls will be active when you open the preset. But if you change the order of your inputs, so that calls 9-16 appear before calls 1-8 and then save, calls 9-16 will be active the next time you open the preset, so you could set up your second multiview. But, my guess is that your multiview with calls 1-8 will then lose its sources...

Even deleting and appending new calls on the fly is a pain, to be honest. A multiview which references deleted calls will have all its layer sources unset, so when you append your new calls (even to the same input slots), you'll still have to reassign them to the multiview layers (faster with shortcuts, but still...). All in all, I'd still be tempted to save each preset with 8 calls and a multiview, and load presets on the fly, especially with 3 machines at your disposal.

That would be a viable solution. It's probably less work to just open the file and reassign the layers before the show, since I will only be using this show once.
Thank's for the feedback
fwieland  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2021 4:44:53 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

I'm still thinking this is abnormal behaviour. When appending Callers out of another file, it also reverts the name I gave the input back to the caller ID after saving and reopening the file. this also happens randomly. Some of the names stay, some don't, It seems totaly random, but if the name sticks once it will always stay, if the name doesn't stick, it will always revert back to the call number after saving and reopening the preset. This happens on 2 different machines.
It somewhat matches the behaviour of layers not being saved, since the layer will also stick with some inputs, but not with others, but will always come back the same way after reopening the file.