logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
danwinst  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2021 2:27:33 AM(UTC)
danwinst

Groups: Registered
United States

Hoping maybe someone has figured this out. I have a Netgear Nighthawk MR5100/MR5200. I just got it in and am in a testing phase on it. I have been unable to get it to work as desired though just yet.

The scenario is the LTE router will get deployed to a remote site with no network/power and be used as a hotspot to enable different tablets and phones to connect to it and send back a SRT signal or Vmix Call back to a VMix PC that is inside the corporate network (behind firewalls).

Right now my focus is on SRT for this testing. First, if both Vmix and the remote device are both connected to the LTE router everything works fine (which is expected). I am using Larix to connect the SRT stream and the big kicker here is that the Vmix can only do SRT Caller. The corporate firewall will only allow outbound call imitations. We use this type of connection on the regular and it works fine (Vmix to external partner for SRT). Now we are just trying to do the same thing, but to the LTE router.

I have the LTE router set with port forwarding turned on for the SRT ports going to the remote device's specific IP for testing. For testing; I set the forwarding to handle both TCP and UDP packets. I have validated that the remote device has matching SRT ports and is set for listener. I am 90% certain the issue is that I am not hitting the correct WAN IP address of the LTE router and therefore the LTE router never gets the connection to be able to forward to the remote device.

I also, am not getting any errors on Larix or Vmix about the connection not connecting, but thereis no audio or video either.

Has anyone gotten this kind of functionality to work? if so, please pass on that knowledge of how you did it :)

elvis55  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2021 4:15:16 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked elvis55 for this useful post.
danwinst on 5/25/2021(UTC)
AudioGreg  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2021 1:13:56 PM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
all of the LTE provides I have use something called CarrierGradeNAT (CGN), as a result the public IP my hotspot (Netgear MR1100) gets from cellular isn't really a "public" IP, rather an IP behind a second router run by the carrier. as such, no amount of port forwarding on my hotspot will work, because it doesn't have direct access to the web. getting the carrier to port forward thru their router to my hotspot has been an effort in futility, they just don't care to do that for me.

fortunately my production center has landline based internet with a real public IP. I have no problems setting port forwarding on this end, and sending out a camera/encoder/hotspot to use SRT caller mode to phone home over LTE. we also use a decoder setup off this same LTE hotspot that makes a second SRT caller connection to receive return video/prompter/etc. This gives us a LTE based package we can send to a corporate office that gives us consistent send/receive results over LTE, and not have to worry about the office network firewall restrictions that have plagued us in the past.
danwinst  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2021 10:49:54 PM(UTC)
danwinst

United States

We got this working with a combination of help from here and the carrier :) The root cause of the issue was the DHCP public IP on router had a lease time measured in minutes. As we are required to call out to the 5G device due to firewall, by the time the connection was going out the lease was expiring. The Carrier offered to switch us to a static IP for the 5G router (Nighthawk MR5100); that combined with a little Port forwarding and and we are off to the races now. The connections are all successful and everything is working as expected. Vmix Call, SRT, and general usage all tested and working. Thanks to everyone here for helping to point me to various information.