logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jaya  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2021 7:23:45 PM(UTC)
jaya

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We're producing a live show with 3 guests and 2 moderators. Except for one moderator, everyone is connected through vMix Call and it's great because it's very easy to set up. But it also seems comes with a downside: when two people talk to each other who are connected through vMix Call, the latency seems to add up.
Guest 1 <--LATENCY--> vMix Computer <--LATENCY--> Guest 2
For the local moderator this isn't such a problem but when guests want to talk to each other, they experience very big latencies resulting in interrupting each other.

Introducing a group call mode in vMix Call would solve this by letting the peers directly connect to each other, I think. OBS.ninja has such a feature. Would it be possible to add this to vMix? Or are there other tricks to solve this?
Are other people having trouble with this as well?

Thanks!
mavik  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 2:08:51 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I have good experiences with medialooks vt but this is external and adds costs.
have you tried advanced.vmixcall.com you have more options there to control the webRTC and browser settings.
Maybe discord is an alternative.
For music or better sound control sirius might be another option.
jaya  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 3:45:01 PM(UTC)
jaya

Germany

Thanks! I'd like to keep the system as simple as possible for the guests so adding another communication layer (eg Discord) is not really an option. This will confuse them too much I think. And medialooks is also a bit pricey...
Aecast  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 12:17:47 PM(UTC)
Aecast

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi Jaya,

another option could be if you and guest have access is to use MS Teams meetings or Teams Live meetingsm, all audio is synced extemely well.
Then using Teams you can turn on NDI and bring all individual videos and combined sound into VMIX, and you send the video feed back to Teams (your camera)
Being each persons video is independant you can easily drop their video into your production in many ways.
jaya  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 4:05:13 PM(UTC)
jaya

Germany

Thanks Aecast!
What would you say: How does this compare to vMixCall in terms of quality?
And is Teams free of watermarks?
Aecast  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 10:25:39 PM(UTC)
Aecast

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi Jaya,

the quality will depend very much on your internet connection and the guest caller.

I have used VMIXcall often for recording people with several on at the same time. It works very well when both connections are on jigh speed.
Have has cases where couple people on highspeed broadband and other low and they cut in and out or jerky video. As you probabaly seen with the
VMIX call manager on screen you can see the callers network capacities and quality of video being sent. Most the time you are direct calling to your guests

Microsoft Teams works differently as you are all calling into the cloud connection which then sends feeds of the display back to the person.
This works really well on high bandwidth and good on low bandwidth. Sometimes you still get issues if persons connection is bad, but you always have reasonable to good sound. On your connection to the Teams meeting you can turn on NDI in Teams and that send out 9 Seperate video channels to VMIX.
MS Teams Manages the Sound chat between the users directly so all you need to do is push back the video to them. When using MS Teams meeting so everyone can see you video full screen back to them, simply turn your video on as spotlight (option for guest to right click and say Fit to Frame - for best eperience)
I use this method most of the time for my Corporate bluechip companies.

If you all have Microsft 365/windows logins then you most likely have MS Teams. There is no Watermark on the NDI video out from teams
(To check Zoom, I think its on their roadmap to NDI video out as well so other options could be available)

All video VmixCall and Teams is currently HD 720.

have a look at my Linkedin page showing a video snippet from a recent Teams event using VMIX
https://www.linkedin.com...ity:6786288262706163712/

The other benefit here is that the speakers can also blur/change their backgrounds in Teams if they need to.

jaya  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 5:11:15 PM(UTC)
jaya

Germany

Thanks! I will try Teams.

Has anyone else made good experiences with something else?

And @vmixteam: I think I am not the only one who'd very much appreciate a groupcall feature in vMixCall! Is there anything planned in that direction?