logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Laimiuz  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 10:00:41 AM(UTC)
Laimiuz

Groups: Registered
Man
Lithuania

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello.

It would be great, if you could make audio direct out for every source, that has audio. Simply add D sign in audio mixer and in source settings add ability to choose ASIO output. When D sign (button) preseed in audio mixer, source audio goes to selected ASIO output independently from internal vMix audio mixer.

Thank you!
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 6:15:13 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Even if you don't get that feature, you will at least have another 5 Aux bus outputs in vMix 23 which can routed to hardware outputs, rather then just the two (A & B) at present.
Laimiuz  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 6:41:32 PM(UTC)
Laimiuz

Man
Lithuania

That’s the great news :)
sinc747  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 10:35:48 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Laimiuz Go to Quoted Post
It would be great, if you could make audio direct out for every source, that has audio.

Why?

zenvideo  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:44:00 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
One reason I can think of is if you really want to use an external hardware audio mixer, with a separate operator, rather than perform all the audio mixing in vMix.
xztraz  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:41:15 PM(UTC)
xztraz

Sweden

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
a pre/post fader option would cover that per audio bus output.

very useful for talkback applications. external mixers. preview busses.

something that is normally called aux(pre fader) or fx(post fader) on a simple mixer. that includes volume per source->bus(aux/fx)

say you want one mix for a pa system. another for the band, another for streaming. another for indoor pa. another for each speaker. easy to do with enough aux busses
Matt C.  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2020 6:43:40 AM(UTC)
Matt C.

United States

+1
quaddro  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 1:15:39 AM(UTC)
quaddro

Germany

Originally Posted by: zenvideo Go to Quoted Post
One reason I can think of is if you really want to use an external hardware audio mixer, with a separate operator, rather than perform all the audio mixing in vMix.

This! We are currently planning a Dante based Audio Network, so with the DVS we could get the vMIX Calls, clean them and mix them externally and have the Master Out of the DAW / Console in VMix as Input.

so; +1!
caleymw  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2020 1:36:51 AM(UTC)
caleymw

United States

Came here and registered for this forum just to +1 this post!! The OP's concept of the feature is exactly how it should be implemented. It's a major drawback of VMix that there isn't an easy way to fully bring the audio out to an external console. More busses are fine but direct outs are the proper way to do it. For my colleagues using VMix, this is especially an issue with VMix Call. With audio originating on-site in a studio scenario, of course, it's less of an issue because you can access the audio sources directly, outside of VMix. But with VMix Call, the audio originates within VMix and it's very much an issue of getting it out so you can integrate it into a proper mix.
hidavid  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 11:05:49 PM(UTC)
hidavid

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1 !
FastForward  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 11:15:54 PM(UTC)
FastForward

Germany

+1
tom@24bit.io  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2021 4:43:05 PM(UTC)
tom@24bit.io

Direct outputs allow sound engineers to:

Record audio ISOs

Provide true automixing. This is when mic signals control a mixer so that you only hear one person at a time, but the last mic is left open - this sounds more natural than gating every channel.

Low latency DSP mixing.

All of the above for vMix Call without using up vMix busses that should really be used for semantically grouping parts of the PGM mix - dialogue, FX, music etc.

+10 from this sound guy who has been vision mixing for a couple of years. Using busses as outputs really struck me as weird when I read that in the manual!
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2021 11:32:53 PM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: quaddro Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: zenvideo Go to Quoted Post

This! We are currently planning a Dante based Audio Network, so with the DVS we could get the vMIX Calls, clean them and mix them externally and have the Master Out of the DAW / Console in VMix as Input.

so; +1!

We tried this using Dante virtual sound card, but it added a little too much latency on the audio for my liking. Did you get it working?
mkellner  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2021 1:31:54 PM(UTC)
mkellner

United States

+1
RastaCZ  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2021 9:47:55 AM(UTC)
RastaCZ

+1
hidavid  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 3:55:49 PM(UTC)
hidavid

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
After having again run into an issue with our sound guy where not having direct outs complicated things unnecessarily i wrote an email to vmix support about direct out's, thought you might be interested in Martins response:

Quote:
No plans at this stage, audio processing, especially low latency is a challenge for even high end computers. The number of Bus outputs already puts a strain on most computers as it is
and will lead to dropped audio unless that system is finally tuned. And that is for a properly clocked audio output, a direct output would be even worse. So while technically possibly, practically
speaking it would audio dropouts would be a constant problem.
ThommiTechnik  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:17:58 PM(UTC)
ThommiTechnik

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hidavid Go to Quoted Post
After having again run into an issue with our sound guy where not having direct outs complicated things unnecessarily i wrote an email to vmix support about direct out's, thought you might be interested in Martins response:

Quote:
No plans at this stage, audio processing, especially low latency is a challenge for even high end computers. The number of Bus outputs already puts a strain on most computers as it is
and will lead to dropped audio unless that system is finally tuned. And that is for a properly clocked audio output, a direct output would be even worse. So while technically possibly, practically
speaking it would audio dropouts would be a constant problem.

Thanks for this info, appreciate. For me the thing is (if Martin is also reading here ;) Otherwise I'm going to mail him ;) ):

a) why possible in OBS?
b) it's not about processing on the vMix-computer itself.The audio-processing will be done externally, so less stress on the vMix-intance itself?

Cheers, Thomas
admin  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 8:50:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
To expand:

1. It is technically possible but will result in poor results for the type of productions people want this for.
So sure you might see something similar in other software, but that software is only likely to be used for basic tasks that won't heavily load the system, so not a fair comparison.

2. vMix has a audio mixer that ensures audio all is processed at the right time to ensure it is output in a way that is expected by low latency outputs. (this is what the buses use)
Direct audio is raw, often with lots of jitter, and unsuitable to directly output to audio interfaces.

Regards,

Martin
Mvix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 5/10/2021(UTC)
ThommiTechnik  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 11:26:31 PM(UTC)
ThommiTechnik

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
To expand:

1. It is technically possible but will result in poor results for the type of productions people want this for.
So sure you might see something similar in other software, but that software is only likely to be used for basic tasks that won't heavily load the system, so not a fair comparison.

2. vMix has a audio mixer that ensures audio all is processed at the right time to ensure it is output in a way that is expected by low latency outputs. (this is what the buses use)
Direct audio is raw, often with lots of jitter, and unsuitable to directly output to audio interfaces.

Regards,

Martin
Mvix

Hey Martin,

thanks for your feedback, appreciate.

I didn't want to criticize or negotiate the state of vMix. It´s more than a great piece of software, and I'm now using it for a lot of years. Take it more as a question of "How it's working, what are the challenges", or an input for next releases.
The thing is, not only for me, a lot has changed in the last year. The epidemic was not the trigger for what's now going on, but it has been an accelerator. So, the production needs are growing.

Even, if we're now doing a lot of productions in the AWS, I like to have sometimes the hardware direct to me ;) Do you have any experiences, what plugins (Waves, e.g.) are doing to the processing-power of a vMix computer? Let's say, the SSL-G channel plug in, master compressors, and the Automix?

I think, I take the time, and max out my standard-setup, and have a look at the cores of my machine.

Cheers, Thomas