logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnC  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:56:01 PM(UTC)
JohnC

Groups: Registered

Hi, I am currently looking into building a PC, with the need to initially capture two HDMI sources, with the view of possibly adding more. Due to my budget I was hoping to use AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite (C985L), which is not on vMix's supported hardware list, has anyone tried this card before? And is there any issues with using it with vMix?
ask  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 4:49:39 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
It has only been released so it is not yet widely available but it is the same tech as the LGP with fewer features. It is best used as a streamer or recorder.
JohnC  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 4:59:36 PM(UTC)
JohnC

Thanks, for that so is there any known issues with using more than one AVerMedia cards with vmix? If not I will go ahead and get me couple of these for my set up.
Kennethc  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2014 6:43:42 AM(UTC)
Kennethc

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
JohnC wrote:
Hi, I am currently looking into building a PC, with the need to initially capture two HDMI sources, with the view of possibly adding more. Due to my budget I was hoping to use AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite (C985L), which is not on vMix's supported hardware list, has anyone tried this card before? And is there any issues with using it with vMix?

Hi if its any use I put one of these into a test system and it works without issues other than if i tray to capture with multicorder it gives a error, video seems fine though and ordered a second one so will let you know how that works out, I was playing a media player into the HDMI and it at times seemed lightly blurred and wavy but I will be putting a RED Epic on in in the next day or so and will report back

Ken
thanks 1 user thanked Kennethc for this useful post.
JohnC on 3/9/2014(UTC)
ask  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2014 9:22:46 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

I use two c129 cards without any issue.
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
JohnC on 3/9/2014(UTC)
JohnC  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2014 3:54:52 PM(UTC)
JohnC

Kennethc wrote:

Hi if its any use I put one of these into a test system and it works without issues other than if i tray to capture with multicorder it gives a error, video seems fine though and ordered a second one so will let you know how that works out, I was playing a media player into the HDMI and it at times seemed lightly blurred and wavy but I will be putting a RED Epic on in in the next day or so and will report back

Ken

It be good to hear about the what it like working with the RED Epic, however in terms of the blurriness what I would want to know is did it happen often during the test?

ask wrote:

It has only been released so it is not yet widely available but it is the same tech as the LGP with fewer features. It is best used as a streamer or recorder.

I have read that vmix works well with the AVerMedia DarkCrystal HD Duo, but as you said due to them being new and as far as I have seen to be a much lower price then most other capture cards, they are best for my potencial set up.
h2video.nl  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2014 2:46:11 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
the only issue i have with the avermedia cards is that sometimes vmic capture will hang and freeze. Martin suggested it being something to do with drivers and i suspect that starting vmix very quickly after starting windows might result i using avermedia with drivers not completely loaded.

i have not been able to reproduce it but i now let windows start completely - it takes about 1 minute to complete - and then start vmix.

wifh long projects i restart the computer and vmix again during a break to be sure there is no hangup.

i guess this might also be something to do with other combinations of cards and hardware, but maybe there is some user experiencing the same issue of freezing inputs after running vmix for more than 3 or 4 hours...

greetings,
stefan
Kennethc  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:18:01 PM(UTC)
Kennethc

Ok So here goes, the Avermedia card worked well with popcorn box a media player, and with a HDMI output from a windows laptop but will not work with a Mac because of HDCP, I cant understand what protection is needed for a mac desktop but so be it, The Avermedia would not work with the red epic either, i though it might be due to upgrading to version 12 but i downgraded and it was the same, rebooting the machine would allow the output from the maclaptop on the avermedia control panel but not on vmix,

Hope this helps

ken
ask  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:10:53 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Kennethc wrote:
Ok So here goes, the Avermedia card worked well with popcorn box a media player, and with a HDMI output from a windows laptop but will not work with a Mac because of HDCP, I cant understand what protection is needed for a mac desktop but so be it, The Avermedia would not work with the red epic either, i though it might be due to upgrading to version 12 but i downgraded and it was the same, rebooting the machine would allow the output from the maclaptop on the avermedia control panel but not on vmix,

Hope this helps

ken

Bring the HDCP signal in through the component connector rather than HDMI to solve the Mac issue.
Kennethc  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:24:33 PM(UTC)
Kennethc

ask wrote:
Kennethc wrote:

Hope this helps

ken

Bring the HDCP signal in through the component connector rather than HDMI to solve the Mac issue.

well there is no comp connecter on avermedia, and obviously resolution will not be there, I am not a lover of macs so i dont see it as a issues and worst case desktop capture will work, I wonder though that avermedia will capture but Vmix will not, and also the inbuilt recorder will not capture from avermedia but will from comp inputs, regardless of protection,

Ken
ask  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:05:59 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

I think you will find it is one of the connector cables supplied to allow you to connect to a PS3.
ask  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:07:47 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Sorry. I mixed it up with the LGP lite. What you need to to is use a component to HDMI converter and a HDMI to component which will strip the protection out.
Kennethc  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:33:19 AM(UTC)
Kennethc

ask wrote:
I think you will find it is one of the connector cables supplied to allow you to connect to a PS3.

Hi I am not trying to connect a ps3 or dont know where you got that impression, I am using the card for HDMI video capture on HD Cameras, I have said it will not capture on a red epic, nor will it capture from a Macbook even though its only desktop, I have said that it will capture from a dell laptop with HDMI, also a popcorn media player at 1080p so its not that card,

Ken
JohnC  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:01:26 PM(UTC)
JohnC

I just wanted to give an update for anyone interested in this card. I have got the set up as below and it works great with vMix, however we only used it with 2 of the 3 capture cards at the moment due to only having two Sony NEX VG 10/30 available. I would say that there no reason for it not to work all three at once.

AMD Piledriver FX-4 Quad Core 4350 4.20GHz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
16GB (2x8GB) 2133Mhz Kingston HyperX
Samsung 840 Series Evo 256GB
Samsung 24X DVD+/-RW
AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
3 x Avermedia Live Gamer HD C985 Lite Capture Card