logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DeeJay  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 3:53:13 AM(UTC)
DeeJay

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hey Martin,

is it possible to add a tiny tweak to v12 which allows you to place an input by drag&drop right on a position you want? If you have a quite large number of inputs and you need to add one among the very first inputs it is a pain in the *** to get it moved from the last spot (where a drag&drop input frist appears) to the first positions.
I think a kind of this function is already implemented in vMix: in video delays! When you save a clip with video delay the saved clip appears right next to the video delay, no matter how many inputs are listed right or underneath to it.

Daniel
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 4:24:25 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I very much would like this too. And the option to disable reshuffeling of inputs when one input is closed.

It is extremely confusing, and opens up for operator errors, when inputs change positions.

Thanks.
admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 4:32:22 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
You can already drag and drop to re-position inputs, so I am assuming this is something different.

The difficulty with any of these sorts of UI changes is working out the best way to implement it.
If you guys can work out amongst yourselves the best way for input positioning to work, then it has a much higher chance of being implemented.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 11:04:30 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
First off, welcome Richard to the vMix forum, I think your insight and experience will be a valuable asset to the community.
Although the vMix UI takes a little getting used to compared to some other products on the market, I think the overall functionality of vMix is far superior to anything else out there and once you learn how to work within the program's quirks (if you can call them that) you will find that vMix is very versatile and it is easy to develop a workflow that overcomes many of those perceived "challenges" without having to have Martin redesign or rewrite the program. And if there is a better way of doing something, Martin is certainly open to finding a solution that works for everyone.
I have gotten into the practice of using a M/E bus as my main program bus and using the colour folders to organize my inputs (would like more of these and have suggested this before...) this helps to eliminate any confusion with adding or deleting inputs and their location since I can adjust the inputs of the M/E bus on the fly.

Ice
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 4:35:39 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Ice, good to meet you here :)

Not sure I understand what you mean by "using M/E bus" in Connection with vMix.
But for sure is impressed by vMix, it's versatility and more.

I'll will test, try and think more before I pursue this topic. Martin is right, we need to figure things out together.
Damn2Good4U  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 7:27:14 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
@Richard,

I must say I perfectly understood your plight as some of us moved down from VB..

vMix inputs can be moved around but on the same line of axis, all you have to do is to hold down the right mouse and move it to where you want.. as per the @ICE talking about using M/E bus is the addition of the colour folders whereby you can organise your inputs into the colour folders to the left e.g. all cameras can be in RED folders while your videos in the the GREEN folder etc...

There's no doubt your insight and experience will be a valuable asset here within the community... cos I know what you have done and your contributions to VB.

The issue here is, we don't get to see as many screenshots and sample videos like VB community does, I am sure as time goes on, things will change and people will continue to post their behind the scene and how to setup screenshots and videos here quite often.
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:55:51 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Richard
We've crossed paths before on the other forum, glad you've found vMix...
Essentially, I like to set up my first row of inputs as colour or "blank" inputs which I then configure through multiview overlays (hence a M/E bus) to display any of the "main" inputs I load or special effects I want, i.e. camera 1, camera 2, split screen, video player etc.
I do not change that first row of inputs (just the contents of the multiview). All of my main shortcut keys stay attached to those "Blank" inputs, so any subsequent shuffling of additional inputs, or deletions does not affect that first row (although it will affect the content if you close a used input).
It can take a significant effort to set it all up depending on how complex your production is, but definitely allows for a smoother control room experience given the limited screen real estate with multiple inputs.
As an example, if I have a two camera production, I will assign camera 1 to input 1 and camera 2 to input 2 (as a full page overlay in multiview)
I can then set up input 3 as camera 1 with an overlay (in my case usually a scoreboard or clock, but could be any overlay or in your case special effect PiP)
I can then do the same for input 4 but with camera 2. So my 4 first inputs are basically my 2 cameras, one plain and one with overlay, so I never have to go searching through my umpteen overlay inputs for the right one, I've already pre-configured it in multiview and can easily change it on the fly.
I can set up inputs 5 and 6 as video players and inputs 7 and 8 as split screen or PiP.
All in all, my first row of visible inputs has all the essential "shots" I need for the "show" which can be re-configured as needed on the fly.
There is no need for me to delete or move any of those "blank" inputs (or what I call my M/E bus), only what they are displaying, if a third camera is added during the "show", it can easily be assigned to input 3 without having to relocate it in the master input chain and messing up any of my shortcut key "assignments".
This might not work for everyone, but I've found that it's a workflow that works for me. I hope I've explained it clearly.
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:41:23 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Ice for the clarification! (and the kind words). I Think I get the idea, and it sounds like a smart way of doing it. Kind of a work around though. Still, I am too new to vMix to really come to any conclusions right now.
So, to begin with I'll play a Little in the way you do it