logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gujingc  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2021 4:29:42 AM(UTC)
gujingc

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

When using the vMix NDI, I keep getting the dropped frames.

I am using a Gigabyte switch, and my PC set up
- Intel i7 10700
- NVDIA 6GB
- RAM 32GB
- CPU utilization 6%

UserPostedImage

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2021 11:47:09 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Are you maybe capturing at 59.94 and sending to a 29.97 VMix project? If you're using NDI tools, the default is 59.94.
mavik  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2021 10:22:30 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Sometimes switches can't handle the traffic. First I would try in Studio Moniotr App to see if there is a general issue. If both tools struggle then it's something before the computer. Second I would replace the switch.
thanks 1 user thanked mavik for this useful post.
studiodelta on 2/2/2022(UTC)
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2021 10:46:01 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
It's quite likely due to the type of NDI source, and whether it is continuously transmitting video frames (not all do). I can simulate the same sort of behaviour, more or less at will, depending on what NDI source I select.

In the attached image, the NDI (Image 10) source is an NDI image viewer which only transmits one frame per second, even though it registers as being a higher (ie normal) frame rate, like 25/29.97/30. Hence vMix doesn't receive all the frames it's expecting a normal NDI source to send, but the reality is that nothing's really wrong, it's just an NDI trick to save on bandwidth/processing (as used by NewTek's NDI Test Pattern app, and others.)

NDI-DropFrameStats.PNG (23kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Meanwhile the Pro Capture AIO, which also appears to be dropping frames, simply has nothing connected to the input.
ticker  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2021 8:58:51 PM(UTC)
ticker

Man
Australia

Hi all, we were using NDI to connect two separate studio computers to a master control.

We upgraded to a Cisco network switch and ever since, we have been having issues with the NDI connection dropping frames every four or five seconds. It can handle one NDI input from studio 1, but when we add a second, that's when the frame dropping begins.

We have changed so much to try and overcome the problem. We have replaced all Cat6 cables, we have spoken with Cisco who have changed paths etc. We have a 400mbps internet connection.

No matter what we do, same problem persists. And we were hoping to bring in all our cameras via NDI (and ditch HDMI) but that doesn't look likely.

We even just updated our computers to i9s and upgraded the graphics card. So far spent over 15k trying to fix the problem.

As I say, noticed it when we brought in the Cisco. Before that, no issues with both computers talking to MC, but they dropped frames when we sent it to each other, which is why we moved to Cisco.

Please help!

Thanks.
Vince Beck  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2021 10:03:38 PM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Where are you seeing dropped frames, visually or in statistics? Is this a managed switch, is it dedicated to NDI? We use a cheap unmanaged switch and I’ve sent 6 NDI feed with no dropouts.

Also, Netgear just came out with AV switch suited for NDI: https://www.ndi.tv/marketplace/?network-products
ticker  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 10:44:21 AM(UTC)
ticker

Man
Australia

Hey Vince thanks for responding. We are seeing it visually. The switch is a Cisco device which is used for everything including newsroom PCs. Are you suggesting we need a dedicated switch just for NDI? How would that work out of interest given the computers still need to be connected to the main Cisco switch for internet?
Vince Beck  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 11:23:32 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Yes, you should absolutely have a dedicated switch for NDI.
We have this guy ( NETGEAR 10-Port Gigabit/10G... https://www.amazon.com/d...ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share ) and it lives in the VMix rack. It provides NDI/internet only to the machines connected to VMix and the 2 10 Gig ports go to our main/backup VMix servers.