logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nomski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 9:12:41 PM(UTC)
nomski

Groups: Registered

We are having issues with smooth replay playback. It's driving me nuts. The only way we can fix it consistently is by having a trigger which stops recording during playback. Surely it should be able to record and playback at the same time? The PC specs are:
- Ryzen 3700X
- 16GB RAM
- GTX 1660 6GB
- Corsair Force MP600 500GB M.2 hard drive with 4950MB/s read and 2500MB/s write speeds.

The inputs are a mixture of SDI and NDI, all framerates and resolutions are 1080p50 on all inputs and outputs.

The only thing I'm wondering is whether having a single drive in the PC is the issue and if we need to have a separate drive for replays and system.

Any ideas?
kross  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2021 10:33:50 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 28 post(s)
How many cameras are you recording in your instant replay settings? Are your streaming and/or recording settings using hardware encoding? What's your CPU utilization %? GPU utilization %? What speed is your RAM? Are you running it at that speed (default BIOS settings will run RAM at the slowest speed)?
matkeane  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2021 7:58:57 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nomski Go to Quoted Post
The only thing I'm wondering is whether having a single drive in the PC is the issue and if we need to have a separate drive for replays and system.

I haven't actually used the Instant Replay feature yet, but the system requirements on the help page mentions a dedicated drive for video capture. Even if it wasn't a strict requirement, I pretty much always use a dedicated drive for recordings (even single channel) to avoid problems.
thanks 1 user thanked matkeane for this useful post.
sinc747 on 8/2/2021(UTC)
Stuart McCafferty  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 10:12:08 PM(UTC)
Stuart McCafferty

United Kingdom

We found that having different cameras using different inputs on vmix being an issue. we used to have one coming in via SDI into a blackmagic another via HDMI using an elagato and another converted from HDMI to SDI and into a balckmagic.

We've decided to just use 1 camera for replays and it sorted this issue out, this was prior to having vmix 24 and will test during the summer multiple replays again
exibitom  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2021 6:44:23 PM(UTC)
exibitom

I had also this problem since vmix 18. I solved this by using a cpu with 40 lanes. intel i7 6900k did the job for me. My system was using 16x lanes for gpu (980ti) 8x lanes for my video card (blackmagic quad 2 duo) 4x lanes for my nvme ssd1 and 4x lanes for my nvme ssd2.
ryanlehms  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2023 10:51:19 PM(UTC)
ryanlehms

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I ran into this same issue and couldn't find the thing that fixed it for me anywhere in these forums, so here's a suggestion for anyone else who stumbles across this post as I did:

Machine Specs:
Intel Core i9-13900K CPU
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard
64 GB RAM
RTX 4090 24GB Video Card
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2 NVME Solid State Drive (x3)
Windows 10 x64 Pro
vMix Pro - v26.0.0.45

Problem:
vMix Instant Replay playback would stutter while ingesting NDI feeds. If recording was paused, playback would perform better. I have Replay configured to use a dedicated Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB drive. I noticed within Task Manager that under disk usage for this particular drive, the average response time would also rise above 200 ms when the stuttering occurred.

Fix:
Because I have a dedicated drive for replays, I was able to perform a diskpart/ clean procedure. Subsequent testing has shown that this has fixed my particular issue.

X-posted on other similar vMix forum posts for visibility via Google searches. I hope this helps someone else in the future!
ryanlehms  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2023 10:55:39 PM(UTC)
ryanlehms

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I ran into this issue, too and couldn't find the thing that fixed it for me anywhere in these forums, so here's a suggestion for anyone else who stumbles across this post as I did:

https://forums.vmix.com/...o-many-frames#post110012