logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MThomas56  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2021 2:29:03 AM(UTC)
MThomas56

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We have been testing and utilizing the Elgato Stream Deck' and Companion 2.1.2 software for the past 3-4 months with both VMix 23 and VMix 24 with similar connection issues.

When we first start up any of our ASUS laptops and open the Companion 2.1.2 software, we select either the localhost connection or the IP of the VMix machine if different from the local laptop connected via USB to the Stream Deck. Once VMix is launched, the Stream Deck GUI says Vmix is connected, but none of the buttons will take any actions in Vmix.

We found that going into the Vmix Settings/Web Controller is the key. We make sure the port is 8099, and make sure the Web controller is enabled. Our best results finds us then Closing out VMix, and then Re-open Vmix. The Companion GUI is then connected to Vmix, and then we have to go back to the Settings/Web Controller, and then Disable the web controller. The Companion GUI then shows VMix disconnected for a second or two, then reconnect. Now all the Vmix buttons on the Stream Deck work.

This can't be normal, and we have to be missing something somewhere. We have tried using the IP's listed in the Web controller and Localhost 127.0.0.1, and the results are almost always the same.

Has anyone had this same or similar problems using the Stream Decks and Companion 2.1.2 in VMix?

Thanks,

Matt Thomas
filadelfiavennesla  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2021 5:21:54 PM(UTC)
filadelfiavennesla

Norway

We are facing the exact same problem as you on vMix 24. Only way to get it to work is by going to the web controller, disable it, close the settings dialog, wait for a few seconds, the re-enable it again.
We are on a PC with an Asus motherboard, but not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Regards
Filadelfia
MThomas56  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 11:26:20 PM(UTC)
MThomas56

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We did find that keeping the default ports set in the Companion software work best, event with Localhost. I think we have this problem licked now.

Bit Focus Companion Setup:
Localhost: 127.0.0.1
Port: 8000

VMix module in Companion
IP: 127.0.0.1 (Localhost)
Port: 8099

Vmix Web Controller Setup
TCP Port: 8088 (Default)
Web Controller Enabled

If there is any freakiness still, our trick was to restart VMix, and then untick Web Controller (Enabled).

Matt Thomas

thanks 2 users thanked MThomas56 for this useful post.
cutter07 on 5/11/2022(UTC), Ario on 7/4/2022(UTC)
basvcds  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2022 4:32:37 AM(UTC)
basvcds

Ive been having this exact same issue with a new vmix setup running the latest versions of vmix and companion. I only get companion to work for short times after A LOT of fiddling around with restarting, enabling/disabling webcontroller wtcetc. Dit you ever find the culprit to the problem?
priortothat  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2022 8:51:40 AM(UTC)
priortothat

United Kingdom

I've been having these issues since around march 2022.

Recently I have done a complete format and clean install of the vmix machine and also completely uninstalled and reinstalled companion on the remote machine. The problem still exists!

What I've actually found is that it's not enabling/disabling web controller that fixes it. I have run shows in the past having to use the companion emulator on the remote vmix machine in a browser - not ideal at all!
After a while, say 30 minutes my streamdeck popped up and worked fine for the rest of the day (I didn't close vmix at all, just opened different showfiles!) This delay happens every time I've closed down the vmix instance for a period of time.
So it's like companion keeps banging on the vmix door until vmix gives up and eventually lets it have control again for the day!

Does anyone have an idea to whether it's a vmix or a companion issue? Which company should I be chasing to find a fix for this?!... or at least which logs I should be looking at.
Cheers
ImSzergej  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2023 7:35:27 AM(UTC)
ImSzergej

Hungary

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey Guys!

This is the working solution all of your problems:

vMix Web Controller HTTP port: 8088
Companion vMix module port: 8099

If these 2 on the same PC, use 127.0.0.1, if not, use the appropriate IP address for the vMix module.

If you add a vMix module to Companion, you will get 8099 port for default. DO NOT CHANGE IT! vMix uses 8099 port for TCP communication. In vMix, you can only change the HTTP port in the Web Controller menu, what won't take effect on the TCP port.
thanks 1 user thanked ImSzergej for this useful post.
Reinaldo on 2/17/2023(UTC)