logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aczech  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 3:12:18 AM(UTC)
aczech

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello!

I am new to posting in these forums so if you see this post and believe it belongs somewhere else please let me know. I have spent hours and hours searching forums and google to find an answer to what is happening but haven't found anything yet, so I'm hoping maybe someone here might have an idea. Long story short, we are trying to record 2 Clean ISO's of vMix Calls by routing them to Output 3 & 4 and capturing using the Multicorder. If we record the 'inputs' of the vMix calls in Multicorder our files are broken up and unusable due to Multicorder capturing the raw files. Recording output 3 & 4 solves this issue HOWEVER it has introduced a new issue. When rolling on 3/4, our 'External' send of Output 1 (Program) becomes corrupt and we get audio glitches making the stream unusable, which is of course the most important part as this is a live show. If we route our inputs to Output 2 & 4 (instead of 3/4) it solves this issue but unfortunately Output 2 is already in use for our multiview and this is not an option as far as we can tell. Does anyone know why this might be happening or how to fix it?

Now for the longer more detailed answer.

Show setup

Inputs:
1: vMix Call (Host)
2: vMix Call (Guest)
3: Looping Video Slate (Fullscreen)
4: Full Screen Closing Slate Graphic
5: Virtual Green Room for Talent/Producers
6: vMix Call (Tech)
7: vMix Call (Producer)
8: vMix Call (Producer 2)
9: Technical Difficulties Fullscreen Graphic
10: Music Track for opening/closing of show
11: Looping Bug being used as Overlay 4
12: Full screen disclaimer being used as Overlay 3.

Outputs:
Record: Output 1
MultiCorder: Output 3 and Output 4
External 1: Output 1 over SDI to internal server to be sent out to multiple live destiniations
External 2: Output 2 (Multiview) out over SDI to a second Machine being used as a google meet Multiview with creative team, livestream
team, producers, and talents representation.
Output 1 NDI: Turned on to feed back in a loop for virtual green room for on Call producers and waiting Talent.

The show is 1 Host and 1 Guest with a few simple GFX overlays. There is an opening holding slate with music and the same for closing. It's an extremely simple show. We go live for 30-45 minutes a day with the gfx on top. We also need to turn these around for VOD after the fact, and in order to do that we need clean ISOs of both the Host and the Guest (Input 1, Input 2 respectively). If we record Input 1 & 2 in the Multicorder the files get broken up and spliced and are totally unusable for us. So to get around that we've routed Input 1 -> Output 3 and Input 2 -> Output 4 so that they get processed before they are recorded. When doing this the records are perfect. However for some reason it affects our External Outputs. When rolling our Multicorder on Output 3/4 our External Outpouts audio becomes corrupt. We get pops and drops constantly. We believe that it might be in conjunction with frame drops but can't prove that. Unfortunately this makes our live show unusable. If we switch Input 1 -> Output 2 (instead of our Multiview) and record Output 2&4 in the multicorder the issue is resolved. Unfortunately we are then unable to send the Multiview to the Producer/Tech Hangout which is also crucial to the show. From what I can tell it seems that Output 1/2 are linked and Output 3/4 are linked. Which would explain why if I split up the records it seems to work but not when I double down on 3/4. But I'm not sure why we would be getting this issue. Has anyone else experienced this or know why it might be happening?

We are unfortunately unable to use NDI to get around any of these issues as the machines being used are not actually on a WiFi network. All connections are physical (only 2) so we're unable to use the Multiview or ISO records that way either. We've monitored the CPU and GPU usage and are well below any levels that should be affecting anything. Our CPU during tese shows tops out around 50% while the GPU usage only reaches about 25%. We are also unable to have the host/guest record locally, believe me, we've asked.

We are at a total loss right now but I'm hoping it's an easy fix I'm just missing and that someone with fresh eyes can see haha.

Again, if this post belongs somewhere else I'll happily migrate it and thank you for taking the time to read! These forums have gotten us through a lot over the years :-)

Thank you!
JDroadie  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 9:00:57 AM(UTC)
JDroadie

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
what's this virtual green room input you speak of?
aczech  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2021 7:24:58 AM(UTC)
aczech

United States

I send the NDI output of Output 1 back into an input so my program is coming back in on a loop. Then I use that in a layered scene with all my callers and the Program feed looped back in (at a reduced volume) so everyone can listen and watch the show but still talk to each other before sending their video/audio live to the show. It's just a work around we use so we can prep guests and let them know when they're coming up to live and so the producer or editor can watch the entire show and make notes but still talk to each other throughout. (The green room is it's own mix/minus on our audio bus G).
Metroplex Mobile Studio  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2021 12:22:32 PM(UTC)
Metroplex Mobile Studio

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey... I read that "Any source with irregular timing such as NDI-HX, Desktop Capture and vMix Call are not supported by MultiCorder and should not be used"
aczech  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2021 3:02:15 PM(UTC)
aczech

United States

That is totally true! However, that's why we're routing the vMix Calls through the Outputs and recording it there. That way they're going through the...renderer? Is that what they're going through? Someone smarter can correct me on that haha, but essentially the way around recording an unreliable input like that is to put it through an Output, at least from my understanding of it :-)
mavik  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2021 3:20:51 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Have you tried to tick the NDI option for each input. You can use NDI monitor instances to record these then. Or use Newtek ISO recorder, or Kiloview, or Medialooks....to record the NDI. I have to admit that I don't know if these NDIs from the inputs run throught the renderer.
All this would be workarounds. I would hope that vmix doesn't produce the glitches first hand.