logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
figjam  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 7:26:58 PM(UTC)
figjam

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I have a curious problem when I launch vMix, it can take anywhere from 3 minutes to even 30 minutes to open up.
During this time, the banner shows, but nothing appears to be happening.

I have launched the task manager to see what is causing it (high disk, high cpu etc..) but nothing. The only thing is that Defender goes into massive cpu usage, then about 30 secs later, nothing. vMix is also not using any resources.

This is even before I get to load a configuration.

Is there a way to launch vMix into debug mode where it will dump a logfile of some kind so I can try and figure out what is blocking it from starting?

The system is an i7 with 32GB of RAM and all SSD disks. I have a dedicated graphics card.

On one of the occasions, it failed to register my license. Now, one of the things I thought that it could be a DNS issue (I run my own DNS resolver). FWIW I am on a Gigabit internet connection.

Any suggestions?
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2020 8:30:51 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Does the project have lots a Tiff sequences?
admin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2020 7:21:08 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

The number one cause of things taking a long time on the splash screen is a faulty drive on the system somewhere, especially
faulty external USB drives etc.

So that would be the first thing to check, removing all external drives to see if vMix starts normally then.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
figjam  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2021 1:39:27 AM(UTC)
figjam

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The number one cause of things taking a long time on the splash screen is a faulty drive on the system somewhere, especially
faulty external USB drives etc.

So that would be the first thing to check, removing all external drives to see if vMix starts normally then.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Sorry for the long delay.. (yes, the irony!) This happens when Vmix starts up without loading any presets. This is just starting it up.
Once it has done its slow (3+ minutes) load, then loading a big preset is quite zippy.

I have noted as well, that while the splash screen stays up for the 3+ minutes, once it eventually gets to the input output screen, I get a blue circle and the screen paints slowly (starting from Playlist, Multicorder, Stream, External, Record and then Add input buttons, probably taking about 10 seconds to put them up). The blue wheel stops when it puts up the clock.

I thought it was a config issue, which I deleted all the configs and started again. No dice.

I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers for Gaming (currently 461.92 on GeForce GTX 1660 Super) and it started instantly exactly once. Once I rebooted, back to the long waits.
All drives are Samsung EVO SSD drives (x2). I have no external SSD drives connected, but I do have a few network drives, but all my media for the show is on the local drive.

Once everything is past this initial stage, it works perfect.

I am starting to think it may be a video driver issue, which I have now reinstalled a gazillion times.

Sometimes I think just flattening the box may be a better idea! Our backup system, similiar spec works flawlessly but is in a different studio for when things happen there.
thanks 1 user thanked figjam for this useful post.
doa on 4/4/2022(UTC)
mkusmic  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 9, 2021 8:23:52 PM(UTC)
mkusmic

Netherlands

We've also experienced extreme long startup times. In our experience clearing all the cached items under Add Input Image, Video etc options resolves this. Maybe Vmix is looking for non existing items or work connections. Maybe Vmix can resolve this by making the search for such items a background process as well?
thanks 1 user thanked mkusmic for this useful post.
doa on 4/4/2022(UTC)
matthewcph  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2022 3:01:42 AM(UTC)
matthewcph

Hong Kong

I am facing exactly the same problem, have to wait 3-10 minutes to get vMix running. (Version 24.0.0.62)
It happened suddenly after I rebooted my PC yesterday.
The PC has no external drive attached, and I ran chkdsk on my ssd without any error.
Tried windows update, updating drivers, re-installing vMix, still the same.

Also, if I do not wait for vmix to start and reboot the PC after I kill vMix in task manager, I still have to wait 3-10 minutes for reboot. Strange.
jpetrie  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2022 5:12:14 AM(UTC)
jpetrie

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mkusmic Go to Quoted Post
In our experience clearing all the cached items under Add Input Image, Video etc options resolves this.

This! I ended spending quite a long time learning to read the .vmix and .config files (they're just XML and Notepad++ can be taught to highlight them as such!) and clearing out a lot of old references to things that no longer exist in our current setup.