logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jkmakela  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 1:59:38 AM(UTC)
jkmakela

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It would be nice to have Hue for input color correction. RGB will not help to match skin tones in different cameras.

If you use current rgb color correction that will effect white balance. White balance is not usually problem in cameras (they can do that) but different skin (red/brown) tone is. Hue is probably easiest way to quickly match face color whit out affecting white. Would this be difficult to implement Martin?
Bardos59  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:17:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

If you are used to professional equipment, NOT Prosumer, you would realise that they do NOT have Hue, the always have RGB adjustments.....it is more accurate than Hue...I am an editor, and have used a few professional editors, Final Cut, Avid, Primere, and Edius and none use Hue,...they ALL use RGB for fixing colours...just have to know how to use them.....Click on the handle, and roll the mouse wheel slowly, rather than dragging the handle....
jkmakela  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:03:53 AM(UTC)
jkmakela

Hello Bardos59, you can't use vmix rgb colorcorrection with out affecting the overal white balance. With hue you can - white stays white.

If you are used to professional live event and realtime tv-production equipment starting at cheap (but very professional) Panasonic AW-HS50 hd-sdi broadcast mixer and it's big brothers - they have hue for input signals.

Color correcting in postproduction a file is some what different thing than correcting broadcast standard sdi 4:2:2 YCbCr signal in real time. Of course we would like to use color correction tools like in FCP X where you can tune RGB selectively for highligts, midtones and dark areas (also possible for chroma) if these would be available in vmix.

Problem is not our studio cameras. They have very good color correcting functions included in CCUs. Problem is more our eng, specia purpose cameras and some cheap hd-sdi cameras which do not have decent color correction on board.

Bardos59  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:38:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I don't get that problem, because, first, I white balance all my cameras on the same chart, at the same time in the same place, then, if for some reason they do not match properly because of where they are located, I open the multiview, and go to Colour Adjust, and there is a white balance function there....I do a white balance on a different filter on the camera, just in case things get too messed up, and look for a spot in the picture that is about 80% white, and use that as my spot to white balance, then make some minor adjustments to bring the colour as close as I could.....I get no problems....maybe it because I am used to doing a lot of this and have a better feel for it....plus, I always go to the limits with any thing I have to do....I do not wait until I have an issue to try to fix it...I create issues that are normal, and then see how to fix it, before I use any equipment on a job...I test everything from the day I get it until I am ready to use it......and I never use a camera on automatic white balance...I always do a manual white balance...
jkmakela  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:58:36 PM(UTC)
jkmakela

White balance is not issue, that is easy to take as described. Black level is also easy to match. Problem is skin tones (or other colors depending on what you shoot) between different sensors. Same face looks more green or red depending on what camera you use. Tuning some colors with out effect in others is difficult to do. Some cameras have color matrix for that but it is usually only for factory use.

I am looking forward to see hue or other tool to be implemented in Vmix. Yes - hue is not perfect, but it gives you some possibilities. Anyhow Vmix already is great unique software and we like it a lot. Nice to see what it will be in next few years.