logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cillianmac  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2021 1:55:36 AM(UTC)
Cillianmac

Groups: Registered
Ireland

Hi,

I have just updated vmix to the latest version, vmix 24. I think the alert section is a great idea.
On occasion I have forgotten to press record at the beginning of my productions. Id often write RECORD on a sheet of paper and cover part of the screen to remind me! Would it be possible to have some sort of alert to remind to record? Could possibly happen from when your output is on black to when you fade to your first program.
cchambers  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2021 2:04:15 AM(UTC)
cchambers

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Script a shortcut to start recording with the first piece of media or input transition in your show.
I understand this doesn't fix your problem but I often find this fixes my issue of forgetting to press record (or multi corder for that matter) by incorporating this into my workflow.
thanks 1 user thanked cchambers for this useful post.
Cillianmac on 3/10/2021(UTC)
doggy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2021 2:05:36 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 921 time(s) in 760 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cillianmac Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
On occasion I have forgotten to press record at the beginning of my productions. Id often write RECORD on a sheet of paper and cover part of the screen to remind me! Would it be possible to have some sort of alert to remind to record? Could possibly happen from when your output is on black to when you fade to your first program.

That's a dilemma, on what to decide to start recording , so many possibilities

But say you go from FTB to your program to start why not use a shortcut to do that and at the same time starts recording (same shortcut) ? ;-)

Or even better have a script check on the status of the fade to black and trigger it to start/stop recording then that's fully automated :-)

All with tools already there
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
Babbit  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 4:09:38 AM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Tim mentioned that they are open to expanding the alert function, and to contact them using the contact us page. They do ask that you're very specific and very detailed:
vMix Alert Tutorial - Requesting Additions

I can certainly relate to forgetting to hit record. I have blinking lights on my control surface, but it's out of my immediate periphery, so that didn't really help. I added indicators on vMix Panel Builder, and that didn't help for the same reason.

My latest iteration involved this project to make a little box that uses the activators feature to light up some LEDs:
UserPostedImage

I haven't tried it out in practice yet, but to be honest, triggering the record using OnTransitionIn is the most foolproof way to make sure you're recording in my opinion. I have my multicorder start tied to our show open, which I know I'll run at the start. And then I have multicorder stop tied to my show close with an OnCompletion trigger.

I do suggest that you add a little padding to the top of your open and the tail of your close, as these triggers aren't perfectly exact for understandable reasons.

These reminder lights or displays, in my experience, can become quite the crutch. If you use them, you need to be all-in. They need to be annoying and you absolutely cannot circumvent them. You obviously defeat the purpose if you disable it for a rehearsal... now you have to remember to re-enable it.
thanks 1 user thanked Babbit for this useful post.
mavik  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2021 7:19:43 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I use my stream deck to display the audio on/off and recording on/off.
I need to switch there anyway so I have it really in front of me to see it.