logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Josemite  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 12:35:29 PM(UTC)
Josemite

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I switch computers often (studio vs mobile). I export/import my vMix shortcuts & Streamdeck profile ... but the "Key/Control" mapping for the keys on the El Gato Streamdeck will be different depending on which computer it's plugged into, basically breaking all the key associations on the new computer.

I'm dealing with at least 62 vMix shortcuts (keeps growing), which are updated fairly frequently.

Anybody have a solution? Is there like some Streamdeck live config file I can copy and paste to overwrite the one on the laptop?

Thanks!
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 2:51:10 PM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
You need to do a full backup using the Streamdeck software (profile>backup all) from the old system to the new one, as well as export and re-import shortcuts . You would do the same thing if you had projects with different mappings.
thanks 1 user thanked Vince Beck for this useful post.
Josemite on 10/14/2020(UTC)
Josemite  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 3:11:10 PM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Originally Posted by: Vince Beck Go to Quoted Post
You need to do a full backup using the Streamdeck software (profile>backup all) from the old system to the new one, as well as export and re-import shortcuts . You would do the same thing if you had projects with different mappings.

That worked, thanks!

Really glad I asked, this would have been a pain to do manually.
tony marone  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2021 5:56:57 PM(UTC)
tony marone

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sorry, does not work for me. Any other ideas? Thanks
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2021 6:19:40 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tony marone Go to Quoted Post

https://forums.vmix.com/...f-the-Elgato-Stream-Deck
Josemite  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2021 5:25:35 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Originally Posted by: tony marone Go to Quoted Post

What are you trying exactly that is not working? Maybe document your steps.

BTW, I just ran through this with latest vMix update and Streamdeck update to make sure it was all working.

My steps:

1. Comp 1: Export my vMix shortcut config file
2. Comp 1: Create my backup all from Streamdeck
3. Comp 1: Save my .vMix file
4. Wait for my Creative Cloud to sync those 3 files (*.vmix,*.config,*.streamDeckProfilesBackup)
5. Comp 2: Restore in Streamdeck the backup profile
6. Comp 2: Open same .vMix
7. Comp 2: Import vmix shortcut config file
8. Comp 2: Restart vMix

Added info:
I'm on Windows 10 and use a creative cloud drive and its folder mapped to the same drive letter on both machines (v:\Creative Cloud\), and put all my inputs and resources under that location. Also useful, because I send my *.vmix and *.streamDeckProfilesBackup and vMix shortcut *.config there too.

Wish I could just have a live config file for Streamdeck & one for vMix shortcuts that was synced across both machines live, but using a 'Backup All' under Streamdeck profile and exporting out the shortcut *.config is working for me.
Kevin Denham  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2021 2:53:59 AM(UTC)
Kevin Denham

United States

Hey Josemite,

Thank you for the steps. They worked for me a few months ago but are no longer working. Is there any way you can confirm what version of elgato software and firmware you're using? I'm trying to go back to find the perfect conditions.

Thank you in advance.

Can anyone else confirm if they have a method that is working with the latest releases?

~ Kevin
Vince Beck  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2021 4:24:53 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Are you using the same Streamdeck and a different machine, or different Streamdeck and different machine?
Josemite  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2021 12:55:59 PM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Originally Posted by: Kevin Denham Go to Quoted Post
Hey Josemite,

Thank you for the steps. They worked for me a few months ago but are no longer working. Is there any way you can confirm what version of elgato software and firmware you're using? I'm trying to go back to find the perfect conditions.

Thank you in advance.

Can anyone else confirm if they have a method that is working with the latest releases?

~ Kevin

Last time I updated the Streamdeck was 3 weeks ago, and have switched computers successfully since then. Won’t be home for a week, so I can't test it with the latest update until then.

Can you confirm you’re replacing all 3 files? Streamdeck backup, Vmix export from the settings, and the Vmix layout? I ask, because sometimes I forget the export/import of the vMix settings .config file.

... And don't forget, it's the “back up all” from the Streamdeck, not the export.
Kevin Denham  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2021 2:06:05 AM(UTC)
Kevin Denham

United States

Originally Posted by: Vince Beck Go to Quoted Post
Are you using the same Streamdeck and a different machine, or different Streamdeck and different machine?

Hi Vince, Thank you for the reply. I'm using different Streamdecks with different machines. We operate multiple studios in a single space and i'm trying to build the ability to add a show to a backup system and if we make an update to a profile we can apply it to all the studios so it's the same experience for the operators when they need to work regardless of the Studio they're assigned to.

Originally Posted by: Josemite Go to Quoted Post
Hey Josemite,

Thank you in advance.

~ Kevin

Last time I updated the Streamdeck was 3 weeks ago, and have switched computers successfully since then. Won’t be home for a week, so I can't test it with the latest update until then.

Can you confirm you’re replacing all 3 files? Streamdeck backup, Vmix export from the settings, and the Vmix layout? I ask, because sometimes I forget the export/import of the vMix settings .config file.

... And don't forget, it's the “back up all” from the Streamdeck, not the export.

Hi Josemite, Thank you for the reply. Yes, i'm coping all three files as outlined. I wasn't positive I had the steps right until I found this forum post again. The only thing I noticed differently was that when I restored the "Backup of All" is that it brought over the information for the original streamdeck as though it was going to be plugged into the machine. I suspect if I built a show on comp 1 with streamdeck 1 and restored from backup to comp 2 using streamdeck 1 it would work. It just won't pass that information over to a new stream deck. So if say one dies, it's back remapping all the shortcuts.

I've tried rolling back the software but have not found any success with that yet.

~Kevin
Josemite  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2021 2:30:25 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

I've never tried it on a different deck. Is it the same firmware version on both?

Curious is this the XL Streamdeck or the smaller ones?

Kevin Denham  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2021 5:22:54 AM(UTC)
Kevin Denham

United States

I've never tried it on a different deck. Is it the same firmware version on both?

It's actually a combination of them. We have 2 XLs and 1 15-key (standard size) The firmwares are actually different between like streamdecks. I can try rolling back the firmware if that's possible. My successful experiences before was with two XLs only.
Josemite  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:39:21 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

It's actually a combination of them. We have 2 XLs and 1 15-key (standard size) The firmwares are actually different between like streamdecks. I can try rolling back the firmware if that's possible. My successful experiences before was with two XLs only.

Just tested it with latest updates & firmware, everything worked as expected.

Can you describe what's going wrong with your Streamdeck after you try move it? Like do the buttons change, or are they just aren't mapped correctly? Are some of them working, but others are not?

I once tried to open and XL deck on the Streamdeck APP (which is limited to 15 keys), and that didn't work at all. I don't think vMix works with the Streamdeck smartphone APP yet, unless you do API Calls using the Streamdeck 'Website' GET request.
Kevin Denham  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 3:36:48 AM(UTC)
Kevin Denham

United States

Can you describe what's going wrong with your Streamdeck after you try move it? Like do the buttons change, or are they just aren't mapped correctly? Are some of them working, but others are not?

I once tried to open and XL deck on the Streamdeck APP (which is limited to 15 keys), and that didn't work at all. I don't think vMix works with the Streamdeck smartphone APP yet, unless you do API Calls using the Streamdeck 'Website' GET request.

Hey Josemite,

I'll try and get a screen recording but in short, I follow the steps you outlined minus adobe cloud. The results are consistent though, prompt in stream deck asking if I want to copy any of the profiles when I'm restoring from a backup. When done, lets say I have 2 decks, according to the software it now knows 4 decks. I have to then copy the profile from one deck to the other but only the graphics layout transfers.
Josemite  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 3:53:45 AM(UTC)
Josemite

United States

Hey Josemite,

I'll try and get a screen recording but in short, I follow the steps you outlined minus adobe cloud. The results are consistent though, prompt in stream deck asking if I want to copy any of the profiles when I'm restoring from a backup. When done, lets say I have 2 decks, according to the software it now knows 4 decks. I have to then copy the profile from one deck to the other but only the graphics layout transfers.

When I restore from backup to a Streamdeck to another computer, I believe I'm not touching the profiles at all. As they are set exactly as they were on the working computer. So, I don't ever have to copy any profiles.

RuneK  
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2022 8:13:41 AM(UTC)
RuneK

Norway

See post 3 in this thread for a couple of tips on transferring StreamDeck profiles between users/computers, or from one StreamDeck panel to another:

https://forums.vmix.com/...ne-Streamdeck-to-another