logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CooperB  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2021 2:05:09 AM(UTC)
CooperB

Groups: Registered
United States

Is there a way to edit the recording file naming convention using scripts? I simply want the recordings in Vmix to follow the same format that all cameras follow. VIDEO_1 VIDEO_2 VIDEO_3 (and so on). Vmix uses a super long recording file naming system that includes the date, time, and seconds and it doesn't auto number the way cameras and 'computer downloads' do.
Vmix can do SO much, so I'm hoping I can do something as simple as change the naming format...?
I am live streaming dance competitions. We have 300 recordings each day so having each file with a number behind it (VIDEO_4) will make this really easy to give to the client. I understand that the file naming can't be changed within Vmix settings so my only hope (I think) is using a script of some sort.

What do you all suggest?

Thanks!
doggy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2021 2:50:06 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Didn't you get an answer in a Facebook group where yo also mentioned you are not familiar with the helpfiles
My suggestions would be the same as mentioned there. WHich one would depend on the workflow and specific needs at that tim e
CooperB  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2021 2:55:28 AM(UTC)
CooperB

United States

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Didn't you get an answer in a Facebook group where yo also mentioned you are not familiar with the helpfiles

The facebook user suggested helpfiles but didn't expand beyond mentioning that term. For that reason I'm posting here to hopefully get ideas and suggestions from other users who have done things similar to this. If helpfiles are the answer to this problem then please to expand on that topic as I'd love to find a solution to this. Thanks!

doggy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2021 3:08:28 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
in general vMix has helpfiles, video tutorials , knowledge base and this forum.

If you are familiar with coding than the helpfiles will give you some details regarding scripting functionality and the list of avaialble shortcuts which are mostly usable as a function in your scripts .
Besides the functions specific to vMix it allows you to code general vb.net functionality within .

there is a post called "scripting for dummies" in this forum containing lots of tidbits

How precisely you want your script to work is based on some planning in terms of exactly what you want to do and solve the potential problems arising from that

The code bit from the knowledge base already gives some type of workflow :
- check for the last recorded file and rename it but check if that name already exist and cater for the sequential number you seem to want added and buil in some error trapping ...