logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KuuKuu  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:19:44 AM(UTC)
KuuKuu

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I'm looking to stream a live web show while simultaneously recording the footage for use in the achieves.

I'm wanting to use 3-4 cameras but am unsure about what I need to purchase. They will be connected via HDMI but will be close enough to the computer that there shouldn't be any distance issues. Is this just a matter of purchasing multiple cards for my computer? Do I purchase one card with 3 or 4 inputs?

Streaming at 720p is fine but would like to record at 1080p for the archives. Is this possible? Would it make sense to purchase some sort of scaler so that my computer doesn't have to work so hard to convert my 1080 feed down to 720? Or is that a non-issue?

There will be two wireless mics for the talent as well as instruments (like guitar and keyboards) so I'm pretty sure I would need an actual mixer. I'll likely be purchasing a compressor as well as something to help clean up buzz/hum. So this needs to be taken into consideration. Is there anything I need to consider for this to work with vMix?

Also, would I need to purchase something to correct any latency with my audio? I know they make relative inexpensive boxes that help solve that issue. Is that something that I can incorporate with vMix?

I've been lurking for a number of days but haven't really run across the information I need. Any help/answers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any articles/videos that you think would educate me would be greatly appreciated as well.

It's not always easy to search for stuff on Google when you don't exactly know the correct terminology or search phrases. But I'm learning.

Thanks,
Lee
fordry  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:48:01 AM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
If you are wanting to record each input individually you will need the top level vmix edition with the multicorder.

If you just want a recording of the main program that is fine, it can do that without any hassle on all editions.

For inputs, if you have a desktop with a number of PCI Express slots then any hdmi capture card should work. Avermedia and Blackmagics both work. You can use multiple cards as long as you have slots available and its the cheaper option vs single card with multple inputs.

The recording and the stream size can be different, just input at 1080 and then set your streaming output to the lower resolution. Vmix handles this without any fuss.

If you get a decent audio interface for your computer I don't see why you would need "something to clean up buzz/hum". A decent mixer should be sufficiently clean. Even a Behringer 202 USB input should be pretty clean, I wouldn't bother adding extra stuff unless you really have trouble.

Vmix has delay control for each input.
thanks 1 user thanked fordry for this useful post.
KuuKuu on 4/10/2014(UTC)
KuuKuu  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:17:04 AM(UTC)
KuuKuu

Thanks for the reply, fordry!

Wow, is it really possible to record each input individually? Being a novice, I would think that would be really resource intensive, especially at 1080p.

So when you say "Vmix has delay control for each input", does this mean that you basically play with the delay for each input until everything syncs up?

Can you think of anything else I might need or may not have thought about?

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
Lee

fordry  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:19:53 PM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Ya, each input has audio delay control if audio is relevent for the input.

As for recording each input, yes it can be very resource intensive, particularly the hard drive. You would potentially need a RAID setup or SSD's or even SSD's in a RAID depending on how many channels you are recording. It also gives you the ability to set each recording to a certain hard drive so different inputs can record to different hard drives. But this does require a top end system to pull off. check the documentation to see how all the features work. Martin has put together a really nice documentation section on the website that covers all the features.
KuuKuu  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:31:50 PM(UTC)
KuuKuu

Thanks again for your help.

-lee
KuuKuu  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 9:37:17 AM(UTC)
KuuKuu

OK... I have a couple more questions...

1. Is there an advantage to going with single input capture cards versus a single card with multiple inputs? My thinking is that if something bad happens to a single card with multiple inputs, you're kinda screwed. At least with a single input card, it's a relatively inexpensive fix and won't leave you in a last-minute bind. Is my thinking correct?

2. When you render in vMix, I'm assuming you're able to adjust the quality of your render (not your stream, but a second version that is better quality for archiving)? Would it be wise to purchase a SSD to save my render to and then transfer it over to my HDD for storage? Or would a mechanical HDD be fast enough to render to?

3. Lastly, how much memory would you recommend? Would 32 gigs for a 4 camera set-up be too much? Can you ever have too much memory? LOL.

Thanks for any help.
Lee
Charssay  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:07:09 AM(UTC)
Charssay

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hello

1/ I will say NO.
The average of MTBF for a add on card on a normal computer is more than 20000 Hour on Continuous use. Get a good quality card, with single or more input it will be the same.
A single card with more input will help you to build a small unit as possible having at least the number of input you need.
Something even can be important but not so mandatory: more card equal more power also, then make a good choice for a stable PSU.
Sometime single card can be cheap adding it one by one than a single one with more input. This is remain your choice according to your budget.

2/ When you build a unit for this kind of use, never hesitate to go to SSD. HDD are cheap for more capacity but in some case don't fit for the JOB. Go then to SSD
If you want to record these 4 input at the same time your configuration must be a RAID 10. A minimum of 4 SSD will be need in that case, same size for each

This is the configuration I recommande : If you have two channel to record at the same time, you do not need a raid channel set, a single SSD can be used if you record in SD. If you are going to more than two channel to record at the same time or in HD, you must set your SSD in RAID 0. Set after in RAID 10 give you a backup in cas of malfunction on one channel

3/ The max memory you can put on your System will fit. A set with a minimum of 32 as you want will already perform well, If you can put more, do it. Note that, if in the futur you must do more thing with vmix a some addon, these 32 Gb can became a minimum, so I will recommand you to build your set with 64 Gb already to start very well.

4/ Reading your post, for the sound, if you are using Wireless Mic, use only UHF one of great quality, you will not have the Buzz you are talking about and use Mixer with USB output will give you a good qulity of Sound, the rest is up to you depending on your capacity to do a best setting as possible

C.
thanks 1 user thanked Charssay for this useful post.
KuuKuu on 4/10/2014(UTC)
KuuKuu  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:29:12 AM(UTC)
KuuKuu

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

lee