logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andrew  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 3:29:30 AM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Currently projects with saved vmix call inputs will not load thanks to the dos attack.

If simply unticking the inputs is not an option (e.g you have scritps and shortcuts that reference the unique input keys) you can force vmix to open the preset by disconnecting from the internet while it loads.

This whole situation is absolutely terrifying for us all right now but I have faith in Martin and the team!
thanks 2 users thanked Andrew for this useful post.
AgentPete on 2/22/2021(UTC), Karate_Swag_23 on 2/27/2021(UTC)
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 3:39:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
You can still open presets with call inputs, even during a network or internet issue.
It takes approximately 20 seconds for the call input to "time out" and proceed to next input when loading a preset, so just takes a couple of minutes longer if using a lot of call inputs.
Also, when internet or server is restored you can right click the call input and select Reset to restore it again.
thanks 3 users thanked admin for this useful post.
doggy on 2/22/2021(UTC), eduardocfs on 2/22/2021(UTC), Metroplex Mobile Studio on 2/26/2021(UTC)
Andrew  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 3:51:26 AM(UTC)
Andrew

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ahh interesting, good to know in future.

It may be helpful for you to know that isn't actually the behavior we saw during the dos attack though. We definitely left the presets trying to load for well over the 2min 40s that 8 call inputs would take to timeout.

All back up and running now of course :)
Hypohamish  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 4:01:49 AM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andrew Go to Quoted Post

It may be helpful for you to know that isn't actually the behavior we saw during the dos attack though. We definitely left the presets trying to load for well over the 2min 40s that 8 call inputs would take to timeout.

+1 to this, was completely unable to open any preset that featured a vMix call during the DDOS attack.

AgentPete  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 4:01:53 AM(UTC)
AgentPete

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This resulted in a cancelled show/revenue for us.

And we had no fallback comms system in place, which I guess we need to remedy right now.
Vince Beck  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 8:38:42 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
We alweays an an MS Teams project clone ready to go and our presenters have the link to join if needed. Somne prsenters can't join through VMix call anyway in corporate environemnt.
AgentPete  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 8:13:21 PM(UTC)
AgentPete

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vince Beck Go to Quoted Post
We alweays an an MS Teams project clone ready to go and our presenters have the link to join if needed. Somne prsenters can't join through VMix call anyway in corporate environemnt.

Yes, I’m wondering about something similar.

The DDoS outage yesterday was quite short but really bad from our point of view. Can’t happen again. Has set me thinking.

• How resilient is vMix Call? Instead of a fallback, should we be thinking of an alternative strategy for guests?

• vMix Call is very convenient, especially re mix minus feeds. Doing all that bussing for a bunch of contributors doesn't fill me with joy.

• vMix clearly doesn’t make any money directly out of vMix Call. Maybe they should charge a subscription? Which would enable them to put better DDoS remediation in place?

thanks 2 users thanked AgentPete for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 2/22/2021(UTC), danhoff on 2/23/2021(UTC)
John Wigglesworth  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 7:40:40 PM(UTC)
John Wigglesworth

Singapore

Not an expert in the field of WebRTC and seeing little mention or discussion but urgently need to know if there is a way for vMix to harden the vMixCall servers against DDOS?

Otherwise I will reluctantly be out of here - If a client found out I was recommending an approach which has a known single point of failure it wouldn't be a long discussion. I've usually had a Zoom backup in place for most events but this week was doing an international vMix-vMix hookup using primary and secondary systems on different ISP's. We had tested this extensively and were getting consistent 4Mbps with pretty low latency. (We could even pull a reasonable chromakey over the link, though that wasn't the plan)

Luckily the outage happened last Sunday night and I woke to see the news on various FB groups. That it had stopped was good news, that it could happen again at any time was not.

Spent all of Monday scrambling to implement SRT which we had previously tested but had numerous issues with and dropped $5K on an emergency backup LiveU LU800 and server. To say it was cutting it fine was an understatement.

Beyond this I'm noticing clients are getting more savvy in this space, another local streaming company just said their client had rejected it as too complicated or unreliable and why can't you just use Zoom like the other companies? And I'm tending to agree - If the vMix call fails it becomes your problem, even if it's demonstrably the other sides issues causing it (WiFi, Browser, devices, corrupted Outlook links, firewalls, poor audio) but if they can't connect to Zoom or Teams these days then they shouldn't really be allowed on the Internet and clients accept it's not your problem.
admin  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 1:25:29 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
We are constantly working on improvements in both reliability and performance on our vMix Call servers.
We've made a bunch of improvements after the recent outage, for example.

It is important to note though that all the solutions you mentioned also have outages from time to time, no solution out there is bullet proof and
it is still prudent to plan for the potential of outages regardless.

For example, Zoom even has a dedicated service status page that lists some outages over the past couple of months.
This isn't to disparage Zoom, in fact far from it. Just pointing out that outages in one form or another are a fact of life regardless of how resilient the infrastructure may seem.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 4 users thanked admin for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 2/26/2021(UTC), elvis55 on 2/26/2021(UTC), AgentPete on 2/26/2021(UTC), SportsNetUSA.net on 2/27/2021(UTC)