logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JoostH  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 5:44:19 AM(UTC)
JoostH

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Can we have more NDI output streams? 8 would be perfect for my case. (I have vMix 4k)

I host zoom webinars with 2-3 speakers that split up in breakout rooms. Each speaker needs two NDI streams (full screen processed cam + cam + powerpoint). That would greatly benefit from a system with 6 NDI streams, on top of the Output signal. So, 8 NDI outputs would be great.

I realize this comes at the burden of extra CPU, GPU and network load. But my medium level Intel i7 laptop can deal with 4 NDI streams still decently and for my Ryzen 9 desktop it's simple. I did some experiments with OBS with 8 NDI output streams and that worked fine.

PeterH  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2020 3:23:01 AM(UTC)
PeterH

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1
pete242  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 9:20:21 AM(UTC)
pete242

+1
hadphild  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 7:08:38 AM(UTC)
hadphild

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1
tjp32  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 9:01:24 AM(UTC)
tjp32

United States

+1
mavik  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 4:45:32 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Hmm, I made a general video about NDI and the bandwidth it might cause. Have a look below.
Have you thought about a SRT Gateway solution instead. You can send a signal to a SRT gateway and display that feed on any device in a browser window. This might be an alternative.

Fergy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 3:09:55 AM(UTC)
Fergy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1 on this; even one more NDI output would get us where we need to be. We understand the NDI network issue. But 90% of the time our setup is the following:
NDI2/BusA for remote Moderator
NDI3/BusB for remote Presenter channel 1
NDI4/BusC for remote Presenter channel 2

Presenter 1 and 2 slots get leapfrogged all day. They might be large groups, or single presenters; the outputs are basically limited by our mix-minus NDI returns.

What we lose is ability for an internal Producer / Green Room return. The current solution is that we have to run our fullscreen out multiview through an HDMI router and back into a WebPresenter or similar to be able to get one more output that we can send back out over the internet. Cannot use SRT or VCall options for this; it has to be Zoom, Teams, Webex or similar based on specific clients.

All of this is very simple with a conventional control room setup. We are just limited in Vmix by the number of NDI outs.
JoostH  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 4:26:28 AM(UTC)
JoostH

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Hmm, I made a general video about NDI and the bandwidth it might cause.

As I commented already in another thread: indeed NDI can be a heavy burden to a network. However, there are several ways to deal with that if you really need the number of outputs. One can throttle the bandwidth by reducing quality for less critical outputs (for instance, the typical bandwidth that I get for Zoom webinars is roughly 30 Mbps per NDI channel). One can assure to run on a local dedicated wired gigabit LAN with no other traffic. For heavier use cases, one could use a vMix server with a 10 Gbit port plus a 10 Gbit switch to distribute the NDI signals to other PCs.

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post

Have you thought about a SRT Gateway solution instead. You can send a signal to a SRT gateway and display that feed on any device in a browser window. This might be an alternative.

I assume you suggest this to remove double counts for identical NDI signals. In my use case, all NIDI signals are different, so this would not work. I have not tried your solution but another way to achieve the something similar is using the ZEN NDI RTx (NDI Receiver-Transmitter) application.
tjp32  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 7:22:20 AM(UTC)
tjp32

United States

Originally Posted by: Fergy Go to Quoted Post
NDI2/BusA for remote Moderator
NDI3/BusB for remote Presenter channel 1
NDI4/BusC for remote Presenter channel 2

This is the same setup I have, but what I've started doing recently is using one NDI output for video return only, and then enable the audio-only NDI outputs for each of the mix-minus busses. Normally the video return feed is the same as program, so I have the remote moderator and presenters all seeing video from NDI 1/Output 1, and then each one gets their audio return from NDI Audio Bus A and so on. This eliminates sending multiple NDI streams carrying the same video data, and allows access to all 8 mix busses. The only thing is that you have to be able to pull in audio and video separately for your moderator/presenter feeds, but I've been using OBS as a more flexible version of NDI Virtual Camera to accomplish this.
xztraz  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 8:18:46 AM(UTC)
xztraz

Sweden

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1

colorist, slowmo, presenters, clean feed, stream, judges and so on. many uses for more outputs. if every input could be output as ndi it would help for some of theese roles. like having titles fed out over ndi would be great not just camera inputs.
David_in_Philly  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 9:09:11 AM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
+1
TenSob_  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2021 10:44:42 PM(UTC)
TenSob_

Man
Czech Republic

+1
gimbalgod  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 10:48:06 PM(UTC)
gimbalgod

Russian Federation

+1
hayden567  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 1:18:48 AM(UTC)
hayden567

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1