logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
twokingsfilms  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 11:27:49 AM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Disclaimer: I'm not well versed in GT - but feel like I have the basics.

I have a title with the following actions: Transition In, Page 1, Page 2, Transition Out

L3 Reference.jpg (76kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

- The green text is revealed on Transition In and reverses out on Transition Out - no problems, all good there
- On page 1 and page 2 the green text stays where it is, awesome, no problem there (that's what I want it to do)
- On page 1 the yellow text reveals itself and on Page 2 it reverses itself out -- again, all good, no problems there

Here's where my issues begin

- On green text Data Change, if I am NOT on Page 1 the yellow text will suddenly pop in. That's wrong, bad text, no, don't do that. Stay in your little hidden home.

Okay, so to fix that, I say to myself - self...make yellow text be Hidden on green text Data Change. But...wait a second self -- if it's hidden during Green's data change, that's fine IF I'm not on Page 1, but if IF I'm on Page 1 then yellow text will suddenly disappear, which again, is bad.

So how do I do I have one part of the title be visible all the time (Green) and go through it's data changes without showing yellow -- and when showing yellow, both can do data changes and not interfere with each other?

TLDR

I want Green Text to always be on, and Yellow Text to only be on when on Page 1. Currently when Data Change happens for Green Text it causes Yellow Text to appear when not on Page 1.

All help is greatly appreciated, thank you!
doggy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 7:08:41 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
No problem here based on the explained "setup"

greenyellowpage.JPG (45kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Did you watch?

twokingsfilms  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 5:22:38 AM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

United States

Correct - there is no problem -- unless I'm on Page 1 and go to the next Data Source in the Main (Green Text) -- which causes the Subtitle (Yellow Text) to disappear.

I have watched that video a few times in the past, yes.

Below is my Title in case that helps.

Again, per my own, and your setup, there's no issue UNLESS I'm on Page 1 - Data Change Green, which causes Yellow to completely disappear.

I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is.

L3_TKE_Data Source Issue.gtzip (56kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
doggy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 5:44:26 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: twokingsfilms Go to Quoted Post

I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is.

L3_TKE_Data Source Issue.gtzip (56kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

To many animations to be able to tell which one is triggering the disappearance, prob one of your datachanges !

Advice, go back and add step by step

twokingsfilms  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 6:08:52 AM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

United States

I've already erased all of them and redone them. The issue as far as I can tell is the "Data Source" is considered it's own "Page" - so basically Transition On and Off are great. Page 1 and Page 2 are fine.

However, when I Data Change Green, it's a "page" - so on that "page" Yellow either has to be hidden or shown.

If I choose "Hidden" for Subtitle (Yellow) on Main (Green) Data Change

- Then on Page 1, where both Subtitle and Main are supposed to be visible, the subtitle just disappears on a Main Data Change

If I choose "Reveal/Fly/Fade/etc" or "None" for Subtitle (Yellow) on Main (Green) Data Change

- Then when NOT on Page 1, the subtitle will animate on during a Main Data Change

What should happen

- A data change of the Main title should NOT cause anything to happen to the subtitle - it should stay hidden when not on page 1 and visible when on page 1
doggy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 7:42:30 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

You have more going on though
ANy data change in the subtitle when it's not in view (page2) starts to display it also ( the reverse of the main data change)
twokingsfilms  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 3:01:30 AM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

United States

Below is the attached, simplified version of the title.

As I expected, as soon as I introduce the Data Change, the issue presents itself.

The current, attached title, is just for demonstration:

- Transition On, Transition Off, Page 1, Page 2 all work fine (though admittedly with "basic" animations in place just to demonstrate"
- As soon as I introduce "Data Change" animation "Fade" to the Main Text - it causes the subtitle text to pop in when it's not supposed to.

As I mentioned, my gut tells me it's because "Data Change Main Text" is basically it's own "Page" - so I have to choose the other title to be hidden -- which defeats the point when on Page 1 (where both should be visible)

I am at a loss. It feels like, at this point, I should just build two titles that look like 1 and use two overlay slots.

L3_Data Change Breaks.gtzip (56kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
doggy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 3:55:32 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Maybe one is just pushing the animations to its limits combining page animations with data change animation as not being envisioned to go that far.
Mind you GT titles are very basic compared to say XAML or other title creation software, sort of an ability to make basic titles a bit more sparkly. They have nice possibilities but also lack a lot of things. they are not a one size fits all, choose the tools according to your needs

I do wonder though why the page use in the first place as t me it seems part of the title info without a need to hide it ?

You could also report to vMix support your findings/question
twokingsfilms  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 10:27:36 AM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

United States

I decided to just do 2 titles, utilizing 2 overlay channels.

I think you're right that it's too complex of an action for GT to handle in one.

As for the why -- the broadcast has multiple people on the screen at one time. Highlighting each person as they are introduced is why the subtitle exists - but for the meat of the show it won't be necessary after they are introduced. The main title is necessary throughout.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the help!