logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andreas O  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2021 11:30:39 PM(UTC)
Andreas O

Groups: Registered
Norway

Hi,

We have trouble feeding sound (Bus B, mix minus) back to Teams via NDI. The setup appears to be correctly configured to send Bus B as an NDI output, which is ingested by Newtek NDI Virtual Webcam (formerly Virtual Input) and used by Teams.

The picture is coming through, but there's nothing happening on the microphone line.

Equipment:
- Vmix Laptop
- Decklink Quad 2 in Echo chassis
- Canon XF705 into Vmix through the Quad 2
- Zoom H6 with 2 wireless lav microphones, into Vmix as a microphone through the USB audio interface
- A Teams meeting with NDI enabled and the [Person Name] source as an input source

Setup:
The Zoom H6, the Teams meeting and our video playbacks comprise our Master output. (Output 1)
Output 2 (external) is set up to watch the Teams NDI source (picture) and BUS A (sound). Bus A only contains the Teams sound.
This is routed through the Quad 2, turned into SDI and into a BMD Video Assist with a small speaker, so the people in the studio can see and hear the Teams meeting. (HDMI passthrough to a larger monitor so they don't have to squint, but without sound.)

(Bonus question: How could I split off the audio to an in-ear monitor system?)

This works fine.

The problem comes with Output 3.
I've set Output 3 to watch the studio camera (picture) and Bus B (sound). Bus B contains the Zoom H6 and the video playback sources. NDI is activated for Output 3. I can see and select Vmix Output 3 in Newtek NDI Virtual Webcam (formerly Virtual Input) and I can see those as sources in Teams. Line (Newtek NDI Audio) is selected as a microphone in Teams.

But no matter what I do, nothing of what's happening on Bus B in terms of sound is coming through. There's no activity on the microphone meter in the Teams source setup. I've also tested with a person in the meeting to hear, thinking maybe Teams just doesn't give readings from a virtual microphone, but they can't hear anything - except video playback. They can hear that just fine, but not the Zoom H6 microphones.

The H6 is doing perfectly fine in the master mix, so it's not that.
I've turned automatic sound dampening off in Teams, so it's not that.
I've dismantled the entire setup and rewired everything from scratch, so it's not that.
I've reinstalled everything from Vmix drivers to Newtek NDI tools twice, so it's not that.
I've tried setting up JUST the Bus B mix and skipping everything else, and it still fails.

I'm pretty much all out of ideas - any help with throubleshooting why Teams won't pick up the signal is very appreciated. Alternative ways to ingest the Bus B sound to Teams is also very appreciated. (I have a BMD web presenter on order, but it won't be here before March-April, everything is on back-order these days.)

richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 4:11:17 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Assuming you can see that BusB has sound (its volume level shows at least some green) try to set the NDI Virtual Webcam's audio setting (right click on Tray icon) to +20 dB.
Andreas O  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 5:25:16 PM(UTC)
Andreas O

Norway

Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue. Teams still does not pick up any sound on the microphone channel. I only had a few minutes in the studio this morning, but Bus A had sound going up to -6dB consistently, but even boosted Teams didn't pick up anything.

I've set aside the day tomorrow for practice in the studio, I will be updating this thread with pictures. Hopefully someone can see what I'm doing wrong.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 5:19:30 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Check Newtek NDI Virtual Webcam with another app like VLC, FFMPEG, or OBS for example and see if problem still exists.

You can also set your BUS B with a virtual cable to feed Teams... If Teams is on the same computer as vMix, I'd rather use OUTPUT 2 on EXTERNAL to feed Teams along with a Virtual Cable and use NDI for your on set return monitors (without using your SDI outputs at all). It's way more flexible... and it works...

Quote:
How could I split off the audio to an in-ear monitor system?)

Just use another BUS set to one of your audio interface AUX OUT and plug it to your in-ear monitor system. I do this either with a Behringer UMC404HD (out 3) or a Midas MR18 (any of the 6 AUX) plugged to a Behringer HA-8000.
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
sinc747 on 2/11/2021(UTC), Andreas O on 2/11/2021(UTC)
Andreas O  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 1:13:31 AM(UTC)
Andreas O

Norway

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Check Newtek NDI Virtual Webcam with another app like VLC, FFMPEG, or OBS for example and see if problem still exists.

You can also set your BUS B with a virtual cable to feed Teams... If Teams is on the same computer as vMix, I'd rather use OUTPUT 2 on EXTERNAL to feed Teams along with a Virtual Cable and use NDI for your on set return monitors (without using your SDI outputs at all). It's way more flexible... and it works...

Quote:
How could I split off the audio to an in-ear monitor system?)

Just use another BUS set to one of your audio interface AUX OUT and plug it to your in-ear monitor system. I do this either with a Behringer UMC404HD (out 3) or a Midas MR18 (any of the 6 AUX) plugged to a Behringer HA-8000.

Well, I tested this - and it worked. Virtual Cable to Teams worked - once I had removed the virtual cable from Speakers in Teams, which was filtering out the sound from the Virtual Cable microphone, just as a note for anyone else reading this.

I don't have a NDI to SDI converter, for the studio monitor, but this worked well enough and seems far more robust than using NDI to Teams, so I'm gonna scratch on my manager's window to see if I can get the money for that.

I also managed to get the NDI working. I'm not sure what did it, but it may have been either having set the Teams audio output to the same thing as my Vmix master output or headphones, or it may have been configuring Teams with microphone/camera/speaker settings before I entered the meetings. Not sure, since I can't reproduce the problem now.

As for your audio interface AUX OUT suggestion, the Zoom H6 we're using desn't have an AUX OUT port but a Line Out. I might be able to route the sound to the H6 and run a cable from that, but I should probably look at getting a better audio mixer. Sound is what I'm least good at, so I'll have a look at the Behringer and Midas gear you mentioned. Will I need an external USB sound card to route sound out and back into the mixer, or does the USB connection for the incoming sound handle outgoing as well?