logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lances  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2020 8:23:10 AM(UTC)
Lances

Groups: Registered
Canada

I'm looking to build up a network and new machine for vMix 4K.

The vMix reference systems indicate a max number of 4x 1080p inputs for the Ruby system, and 8x 1080p inputs for the Obsidian system. What specification determines the limit of NDI input sources? I assume a 1G NIC will limit the input quantity to 4, vs a 10G NIC. IS the other limit the CPU horsepower to decode the NDI streams?

Jtech  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 3:21:44 AM(UTC)
Jtech

United States

I have a similar question. I'm currently looking to increase our system by installing a 10GB switch to support multiple 4k NDI inputs.

I have a Dell 7920 rack with 2 Nvidia RTX 5000 cards. My builds can range up to 100 different Multiview's with 10 or more NDI inputs and 2 SDI capture card inputs.

My question is... does vMix have a limit to what it can handle regardless if I have a powerful PC that can handle the workload?

Its advertised that vmix can support 1000 inputs. But when I reach 150inputs with Multiview's I get glitching and freezing with the video feeds.

My CPU is at a cool 50% and GPU at 65% and only using about 60% of the network bandwidth.

When I delete some 20 or 30 unused Multiview's the video smoothed out.

I really want to increase the number of inputs and Multiview's I can use so can you please advise on what the best solution would be?

ask  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 6:51:15 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Whilst vMix does indeed support up to 1000 inputs, it is the hardware resources on your PC that defines how many you can effectively use. The general advice is to look for a CPU with the most cores you can afford and a top of the line GPU. Intel and nVidia are the recommended brands currently. Use this as a baseline build: https://www.vmix.com/pro...ce-systems.aspx#obsidian

Also it is not recommended to use two GPUs as this actually decreases performance.
Henny  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 8:30:26 AM(UTC)
Henny

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Do you need the that many multi views open ? I’m guessing you have layouts for say 1 to 8 callers with every combination of callers In each The versious slots ? Your best having one set of multi views and use shortcuts to switch who goes where , this will get a lot simpler in 24 with the dynamic inputs/shortcuts

The other big way of saving some resources is not to have all your VT’s open but instead put them in order in an input list that way they are only loaded Into graphics memory when needed
mavik  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 4:43:35 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
To get a better understanding and feeling for NDI and it's network load take a look here
Jtech  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 6, 2021 4:12:29 AM(UTC)
Jtech

United States

We actually have anywhere from 1-15 callers and our Multiview's are made not just for every possible combination but for unique builds.
We have created game shows like family feud and Hollywood squares with the use of intense Multiview building. ill look into using shortcuts but we use the merge transition for many of our builds so not sure if this would be effected with the use of shortcuts.
looking into dynamic inputs

sorry for my lack of knowledge in this but what does VT stand for? (do you mean closing the input by right clicking on it so its not taking up GPU to display a video on the screen?)

Thanks,
zenvideo  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 6, 2021 5:57:07 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jtech Go to Quoted Post
sorry for my lack of knowledge in this but what does VT stand for? (do you mean closing the input by right clicking on it so its not taking up GPU to display a video on the screen?)

I'm guessing it's the archaic acronym for Video Tape (i.e. any pre-recorded video that will be played into the production).
Mathijs  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2021 7:58:39 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Jtech, what cpu are you running? If it is a processor with hyperthreading, 50% will mean it is at 100% actually for this kinds of workload.