logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 9:08:14 PM(UTC)
nowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi there, just trying to figure out what happened in last nights show.
I have a Korg NANOKONTROL2 MIDI controller which I use for shot switching and level setting amongst other things.
Occaisionally, it just stops working.
The only way to get it back is by restarting VMIX - not an option when live.

I have confirmed that the unit is still there and can communicate with other software after communication with VMIX has stopped.
It seems to be linked to using faders or CC control in my case to set the level of a bus which controls the levels for all the video playbacks we use in the show.
eg: MIDI Fader mapped to BUSB Volume
When I move this fader, sometimes it just stops.
I have tried to then route the MIDI via BOMES via the MIDI router into another port that VMIX is listening on, but this doesnt work so I am assuming the MIDI aspect is what is crashing, not my specific device.

I wonder if there's some kind of MIDI buffer that gets filled and is not cleaned up which causes VMIX to stop processing incoming MIDI.
Its extremely frustrating and would be lovely if someone could take a look at the issue.

UPDATE: It seems to be related to the amount of controller data that VMIX recieves, regular fader movements controlled by MIDI CC is what it doesnt like. eg: moving a fader rapidly or often seems to trigger the freeze - not any specific CC number, as I've repeated this by wiggling different faders mapped to various volumes in my mixer.
My guess is that there is not enough buffer assigned to processing incoming MIDI data, which isnt a problem if all you are doing is sending single switch style events.
nowski  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2021 3:26:47 AM(UTC)
nowski

Hmm, only me then? Surprised not to have seen any response to this...
gefiltafish  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 12:06:20 AM(UTC)
gefiltafish

Had a similar issue with my Nano2 last 2 days, when starting it up vMix in the morning it would work for one second (i.e. I moved the main sound fader for -1 db) and then it stopped. I would go to shortcuts, MIDI settings, turn OFF, press OK, press OK again to close shortcuts, then do the same procedure to turn it ON and it magically works.

Didn't happen this morning tho ...
nowski  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 7:21:46 PM(UTC)
nowski

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time it happens, though usually only in the middle of a self produced show its quite distracting. Maybe there's an actual fix for this in code and an application update would be preferable.
LucaL  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2021 11:27:02 PM(UTC)
LucaL

Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have the exact same problem with the Korg Nanokontrol2

When we move more than three faders at a time Vmix loses the midi signal 100% of the time. Moving one or two faders up and down rapidly will also eventually freeze the midi signal.

I have also experienced the midi freeze "moving the fader 1db" when starting vmix almost every time.

The only way to get the signal back is indeed to go to Midi settings, uncheck nanokontrol, close the menu , reopen it and recheck the device.

-L

admin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2021 1:41:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Unfortunately the nanokontrol2 driver has a fault.
It does not occur with any other MIDI drivers from any other manufacturer, so not something we can fix in vMix.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
nowski  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 2:11:35 AM(UTC)
nowski

Oh, darn, thats irritating, what other controllers are other people using? I will probably need to replace it if there is an issue with the actual driver.
Thanks for the update
mtone  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 11:51:18 AM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
i had been looking at one of these units.. is it only vMix it looses connection with ? will it maintain communication with other software ?
fatty  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 11:59:10 AM(UTC)
fatty

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have had this issue with Korg as well. I've gotten it to be reliable but you have to uninstall any drivers for it.

Go to Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > NanoKONTROL (or whatever your device shows up as) > Driver tab

Choose Roll Back Driver (or if you can't, choose Uninstall Device). Then restart this forces windows to use the default driver which seems to work ok (at least for my device). If I install any driver updates or download a driver from the Korg website it stops working.
thanks 1 user thanked fatty for this useful post.
gefiltafish on 1/29/2021(UTC)
nowski  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2021 8:26:52 PM(UTC)
nowski

Thanks for the invaluable info regarding the Korg- I will try the uninstall driver route, though it makes editing the controls rather irritating as the driver is needed for that, can always try it on another machine.

However, in the mean time we bought an Akai APC mini which so far appears to be a really good option, faders work fine, and being able to create activators for actions is really helpful in showing the current status of clips/cameras/3rds etc.
Around the same price, but with way more control buttons. I guess the only downside is that it is larger.

Big thanks to DWAM for his excellent posts on the subject.
boris9831  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2021 7:36:41 AM(UTC)
boris9831

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
APCmini is my choice after many issues with the Korg
Tech@flypackny  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2024 4:41:41 AM(UTC)
Tech@flypackny

United States

Sorry to revive this from the grave but has Korg updated their drivers for this?
I like the form factor of the nano and would rather use this over the Studio.