logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tomGix  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 9:05:44 AM(UTC)
tomGix

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been playing with rolling credits using the GT Designer Animation Scroll Function. One item I have noticed is that source data with 20 rows of text gets cut off. I have triple checked that my layer and text box have sufficient height. I have tried a combination of fixed and dynamic height selections for the text box with no change.

My simplest work around, so far, is to overlay a second credit stream timed to come in after the trailing edge of the first. Cumbersome and not satisfying, plus it requires care in setting up the scroll speeds in GT Title Designer and the Sleep duration between overlays in a script file. It works, but defeats my goal of automating the process for the less technically inclined volunteers at my church.

Question: Is there another approach or better solution already documented? Please help me find it.

Here are the approaches I have been working on couple of ideas of better approaches and have been searching the forum but have not found it (probably because I am not thinking of the correct search terms).

1) Current solution using single title input: Enter each row as a separate text box (or group of horizontal boxes). Source data would be from XLS file or other indexed source. These would be triggered in sequence by delays. A lot of work up front, but once set will work and allow me to space rows in a better way than simple text file double spacing (10 entries = 20 rows results in clipping the last row). I had this working in a test case of about 3 rows, but it is a brute force approach. And setting delays and durations in that GT Designer is wonky...

2) Elegant solution: Write a script to count the rows of text and calculate and set the scroll duration. I could then split the scroll into either two separate inputs or even two fields texts in the same layer of a single GT Title. However, I have not found an API command that can alter a GT Title's animation duration via script. I suspect I am not looking for the correct term or at least nor recognizing. If I can do this, I can also adjust the sleep timer through the script automatically.

3) Preferred: Find the silly thing I am missing that will eliminate the text cutoff problem above and avoid the entire issue. However, I tried reducing font size and got the same result after reducing from 35pt to 30pt (a delta of 5 over 20 rows should more than make up for the clipping.

Again, the primary goal is to enable a volunteer to update a Text file or Excel spreadsheet with the new week entries, and a shortcut script run the appropriate input transition. Asking them to adjust timings is really just asking for trouble, if they are even willing to try.
thanks 1 user thanked tomGix for this useful post.
imccommons on 8/14/2023(UTC)
doggy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 5:07:13 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Why not use a ticker going vertically ?
tomGix  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 6:48:24 AM(UTC)
tomGix

Woman
United States

Thanks doggy. They are going vertically up. If a textbox is taller than the screen, then text is cut off on the bottom edge as it scrolls up irregardless of the textbox and layer heights.

I think the issue is I am scrolling the entire layer which acts as a viewable window that cannot be larger than the screen.

I will try a fixed layer and scroll text boxes next. But to space text boxes requires careful delay timing of each.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 7:07:37 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
ticker is not the same as a textbox !!
your ticker can even be as large (width/height) as the whole window, set the "scrolling" direction of the text, its speed etc.
you can fill it with one large text content or "add" separate lines at a time = no limit!
no need to mess with textboxes and layer animations
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
tomGix on 1/25/2021(UTC)
tomGix  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 8:48:14 AM(UTC)
tomGix

Woman
United States

And the light dawns and all is well. Why do I always do things the hard way? Thank you!

I am still working on interspersing different Font headings in the midst of the scroll. So far I am able to accomplish this by layering tickers set to "Add" and use a series of scripted loops to trigger each with data in sequence. I am guessing there is simpler/better way to do this, but it is working! I'll post my solution once it is fully tweaked.