logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nethfel  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 6:53:28 AM(UTC)
nethfel

Groups: Registered

Hi all,
Kind of related to my previous post in my hunt for a camera within our budget we can use on campus, I've come across the Avipas AV-1281G which supports VISCA over IP and stream 1080p60 but as it's not on the official PTZ list, I'm just concerned before recommending my president plunk down $1400 for two of these... Has anyone had experience with these (or other Avipas cameras) with vMix? video quality? PTZ? etc.
TBacker  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 5:45:58 AM(UTC)
TBacker

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We built up a remote camera rig with an AVIPAS AV-1081 camera. The goal was something that a non-techie could set up and point in the right general direction at which time the vMix operator could take over.

The picture quality is very good for being a lower end model. Low light performance surprised me as being above average. Auto focus works well and is pretty predictable, with options for zones and sensitivity.

PTZ is smooth and quiet, keeping in mind that movement doesn't softly accelerate / decelerate so slow speeds are required for on-air PTZ motions. vMix's built in VISCA over IP capability controls it with no issues.

The one we bought is HDMI, but we're using the built in encoder to send 1080p 30 FPS H.265 back to vMix over the internet. And there lies the Achilles heel (for our AV-1081 anyway) - the video encoder works as expected, but the audio encoder has issues. It passes audio, but the AAC encoder has a nasty grittyness to it that is definitely an encoding artifact and not overdrive/clipping (even though it somewhat resembles clipping). MP3 encoding has none of that grittyness, but sounds pretty swhishy for a 128K 44100 Hz 16 bit stream - it sounds more like 64k. If I had to guess, their audio encoding firmware may be a bit of a hack to avoid using third party sources, but whatever the reason, it's not pretty. I have the same identical audio issues on a uRayCoder box at another location which makes me think it's a particular Chinese encoding firmware and/or chipset.
alexdosso  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:35:03 AM(UTC)
alexdosso

United States

Hey guys, I'm trying to connect my AVIPAS-1081 camera to VMix but I'm having trouble getting VMix to recognize the camera. You could help me with that. Thank you.
TBacker  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2020 6:33:43 AM(UTC)
TBacker

United States

How are you trying to connect it (stream or HDMI)?

The one I have is for remote hits, so it's set up to stream H.265 back to vMix.
breddi1  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 5:55:25 AM(UTC)
breddi1

United States

First time poster... but I want to bump this thread. I'm an inexperienced live streamer that has been trying to improve our small church's online presence. Tired of the I-pad pro streams to facebook. I've invested in a really solid laptop and have a good USB Sound interface to hook into our existing sound system.

In an attempt to simplify the video aspect I purchased an Avipas-1281 (hdmi version) camera. I also bought a Netgear switch that has POE that should suffice to allow me to hook both my laptop and the Avipas camera on the network. I just couldn't see spending $1500 on PTZ Optics camera at this time.

I was able to struggle through the IP setup (computers are not my profession!) but finally was able to get the IPV4 setup for the laptop / camera so that I could log on and preview / control the camera with it connected to the laptop.

The issue comes when I try to get vMix to find the camera on the network. vMix is very new to me and I know I just need to keep learning. Anyone care to help me with the path to set up / control it through the software. I would much prefer to use it as a network (POE / ethernet) camera as opposed to using hdmi and going through a stand alone encoder / then USB.

Thanks

Brent
ask  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 9:35:12 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: breddi1 Go to Quoted Post
First time poster... but I want to bump this thread. I'm an inexperienced live streamer that has been trying to improve our small church's online presence. Tired of the I-pad pro streams to facebook. I've invested in a really solid laptop and have a good USB Sound interface to hook into our existing sound system.

In an attempt to simplify the video aspect I purchased an Avipas-1281 (hdmi version) camera. I also bought a Netgear switch that has POE that should suffice to allow me to hook both my laptop and the Avipas camera on the network. I just couldn't see spending $1500 on PTZ Optics camera at this time.

I was able to struggle through the IP setup (computers are not my profession!) but finally was able to get the IPV4 setup for the laptop / camera so that I could log on and preview / control the camera with it connected to the laptop.

The issue comes when I try to get vMix to find the camera on the network. vMix is very new to me and I know I just need to keep learning. Anyone care to help me with the path to set up / control it through the software. I would much prefer to use it as a network (POE / ethernet) camera as opposed to using hdmi and going through a stand alone encoder / then USB.

Thanks

Brent

It's all in the camera manual. https://e7aba150-670b-4b...48c3bc55a31c981660c3.pdf

Look for RTSP settings. (Don't turn on Multicast) You then ingest the RTSP stream into vMix by setting up a Stream (RTSP) input.

https://www.vmix.com/help23/index.htm?Stream.html
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
sinc747 on 5/7/2020(UTC)
sam10  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 5:29:06 PM(UTC)
sam10

India

First find the capture hardware that supports both the type of connection on your video camera (such as HDMI or SDI) and also the connection your computer supports. (Such as Thunderbolt, PCI-Express or USB 3.0)

Note that if the computer or laptop only has USB 3.0 ports, a maximum of two cameras can be connected regardless of the video capture hardware used.
marcuscole  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 9:49:26 AM(UTC)
marcuscole

United States

Setting up
AVIPAS AV-1281 (HDMI) Camera
AVIPAS AV-3104IP Controller

1. Controller documentation is really thin. Used the Setup button function to
a. Keep the the IP address mode to static Setup 02/08
b. The IP address of the controller to 192.168.1.100 so it's on my church's network. Also changed the Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, gateway to 192.168.1.1 Setup 06/08
2. Connected the camera ethernet port to a laptop's ethernet port so I could change the subnet of the camera to match my church's subnet. Instructions in the camera manual aren't correct.
a. Set the laptop IP address to static/Use this IP address instead of dynamic (DHCP)/Obtain IP Address Automatically
b. Set the laptop IP Address to 192.168.5.160
c. Access the Web interface of the camera using http://192.168.5.163.
d. Login using the userid/password in the camera manual
e. You can then change the network parameters of the camera so you can change the DHCP (leave unchecked), IP address. subnet mask, default gateway parameters of the camera. then reboot the camera.
I found that things work better when both the controller and the camera have static IP addresses.

Once I had the controller and Camera on the same subnet, I was able to use the controller web interface to add the Camera to Camera1 position on the controller
Additional Controller settings:
Mode: IP VISCA 05/08

Then set up an input in vMix using
Input-->Stream/SRT-->RTPS Over TCP-->
URL: rtsp://192.168.1.101:554/live/av0

Additional Camera Configuration
Video Encode: (These are all the standard configs)
Compressed Format: H.264
Profile HP
Image Size: 1920*1080
Rate Control: CBR
Image Quality: Best
Bit Rate: 4096
Frame Rate: 25
Frame Interval: 75
Frame Min QP: 20
Stream Name: live/av0

Stream Publish
Enabled: Checked
Host Address 192.168.1.101
Lcga  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2020 11:16:32 PM(UTC)
Lcga

United States

Just got one (av-1281) yesterday. Wasn’t toohard to setup, if you read the instructions (and realize they were translated from Chinese ). Set it up as above to RTP over UDP. Nice picture, fairly low latency (a few ms), and control works great. I have 2 more coming, and they are going to add a lot to our worship streams. 😊
Kelvin  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 8:22:39 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I have successfully conntected the camera to vMix using the RTSP connection. However, I can't get the vMix PZT controls for the input to properly connect. Has anyone had success with this?
Kelvin  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 1:30:04 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Figured it out. On the 1280 at its default IP address of 192.168.5.163, select PZT Optics VISCA UDP as the Device Type and for the IP Address use 192.168.5.163:1259/"username"/"password"
PeterJay  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 9:26:18 PM(UTC)
PeterJay

Man
United States

Yes. Avipas AVI-1280 with SDI. Using Deltacast PCIe SDI adapter. Using camera at 1280x720 (720P) at 29.97, which is more than adequate for this particular installation.

PTZ in vMix is set to Sony VISCA over IP, simply using the camera's IP address, with the camera at its default VISCA port of 1259; this worked immediately. I was not asked for, nor did I need to use, the camera's login/password.

Still in testing before production deployment, but so far cameras come up right away in vMix, as long as cameras are on, and the SDI cables are connected when vMix is started.

Picture quality seems at least very good. PTZ functions seem smooth. I really like the feature in vMix where you can set the camera via PTZ and save these settings as a preset input. Very cool.

Everything else so far is hunky-dory. I have moderate and ongoing webcasting experience with vMix before working with these cameras; this is my first time using Avipas, PTZ, and SDI. Happy to say that overall, adding these has not been very taxing.

I built a new system for this; at the moment I just have a GT1030/2GB GDDR5 video card, and it's working fine under light load for testing (only the 2 SDI camera inputs). I am awaiting arrival of a GTX1060/6GB card to swap in for the production configuration. Dayum these are expensive due to shortages these days (alas, this is no surprise). Got a used one for moderate bucks (still around $300US).
TBacker  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 1:44:06 AM(UTC)
TBacker

United States

Our AV-1081 has proven to have a pretty good image quality and performance.

If you're using these for video only (taking HDMI or SDI depending on model) you'll be fine. The internal stream encoder (for sending video over IP via ts or RTSP) isn't the greatest in my experience - video works okay, but the audio encoder is poorly written and has an issue with distortion in it's encoding process (doesn't matter what levels you feed it).

By the way PeterJay - you resurrected a 4 month old zombie thread :-)
PeterJay  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 2:32:04 AM(UTC)
PeterJay

Man
United States

I accessed this thread before buying the cameras. Helpful indeed. And the camera is still current production. AND the price point is very friendly, as these things go, especially since the device is so configurable, and the picture quality seems to be up there.

I'm not feeding audio from the camera at all, so that's of little concern, to me, anyway.

4 months is either a lot or a little, depending on how you look at it. So, I guess, I'm happy to bump the thread.