logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hall3008  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 7:32:31 PM(UTC)
Hall3008

Groups: Registered
Man
Croatia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
After spending 5 years in my green screen studio I decided to make a new one. As you can see I first used it by making 3 pages, but it turned out very quickly as a failure. Not that you can't work, but because of too much greenery on people, surfaces, especially shiny ones, I realized that it's not good. In addition, it is much easier to work when the studio is on two sides like the letter V already in a quadrangle. It is much easier to put cameras, lights and everything that a green screen studio requires. In any case, watch the video, and what I use in the studio, see below in the description.

slikagreen.jpg (408kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 1:56:04 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
To start, even lighting is critical. That often means having a larger studio space than you might expect. You need separation from the green sides/background to minimize sill onto foreground matter.

<sigh> I'm old, I guess. When I started my career, I was involved in the production of hundreds of commercials where the CEO of a supermarket was composited over extreme close up beauty shots of products. Back then, around 1990, there was only one acceptable way to perform blue/green screen; Ultimatte.

Proper compositing has tools to remove spill edges and reflection from objects. With care, you can composite ice, smoke and a glass of water...with no green in the final result.

Today's most common software tools do not have such depth of features. Most especially those that work in real-time. They're great at compositing the weather guy against the map, but no so great at complex composites.

I wish that there was some kind of plugin that allowed more complex compositing in vMix.

If you look around you may be able to find old demo reels from Ultimatte, who is now part of BlackMagic Design. In the hands of a master, they could key smoke, fine hair, flowing water, glass. It was really amazing to use.
Vince Beck  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 4:20:41 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
The first thing I would do is get some large soft fixtures. For budget, I like used KinoFlos. In theory, you would only need 2 or three for that size screen to get a soft even wash.