logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mke  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 8:25:33 PM(UTC)
mke

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi guys,

is anyone of you using VMIX with After Effects over NDI? And if yes, could this one please explain me a useful, piratical workflow?
Yes, I have VMIX, After Effects and NDI running like it is described in this official video from VMIX:

BUT!: This may work fine in a cozy environment at home if you want to play a bit around or make a nice youtube video, but it is nothing for the real world in a live production.
The problems I'm facing:
- To start the playback of my animated lower third I have to focus on After Effects and hit the short cut Key to start the playback. If I'm focused on the VMIX Window it doesn't work.
- The playback runs infinite, no automatic stop. I have to stop it by pressing the key again and then it doesn't even automatically goes to the start of the animation. I have to set it manually back on start.
- This are already enough issues for chaos in a live production but to make it even more the perfect setup for a disaster I do not only have one lower third, I need at least 4 different ones. Which means I have to manually set the courser to that one which has to come next.
- And finally, the thing with the rendering. After Effects starts to render only after I started the playback for the live preview which is used for this NDI connection. I was not able to find a way to start the render process before so that it is safely done when I play the animation. But since every lower third is changed by external new data over a json input it has to rendered every time new. That leads to the risk that my animation does not run smooth.

I spent already days to find a solution for these issues but without success. So, If anyone can help it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
thanks 1 user thanked mke for this useful post.
AuditorRSTO on 7/20/2023(UTC)
mke  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2021 1:17:58 AM(UTC)
mke

Ok, since nobody can help.... simple question:
How do YOU create NICE lower thirds for your live production?

Thanks!
doggy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2021 1:41:31 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mke Go to Quoted Post

Thanks!

Define "NICE"

Imo they have to be functional , informative but not overly distracting (XAML and/or GT have been suitable for me so far)
ljudatervinning  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2021 7:41:15 AM(UTC)
ljudatervinning

Sweden

Use a presentation software like ProPresenter.
Rinsky  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2021 10:12:31 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Just create them in AE, add it as a image sequence into a GT file and addthe textfields with GT...et voilà
thanks 1 user thanked Rinsky for this useful post.
mke  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2021 2:38:56 AM(UTC)
mke

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mke Go to Quoted Post

Thanks!

Define "NICE"

Imo they have to be functional , informative but not overly distracting (XAML and/or GT have been suitable for me so far)

I would call the following example "nice":
https://elements.envato.com/de/lower-third-VS4FRL7

Just an example. Most of the templates on evanto.com are made for After Effects and I thought for a good reason. But I wonder more and more how do others use them productive?

Originally Posted by: ljudatervinning Go to Quoted Post
Use a presentation software like ProPresenter.

Actually I did so far till I decided it is really time for a new more modern and up to date design of my lower thirds. And I thought, since there are the most made for AE this is the tool to go for. Am I wrong?

Originally Posted by: Rinsky Go to Quoted Post
Just create them in AE, add it as a image sequence into a GT file and addthe textfields with GT...et voilà

Hm, but since the Text is part of the animation I doubt this works? And besides that I have some graphics to change as well dynamically (National flags)
Rinsky  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2021 5:03:01 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
You could also animate the text in GT (maybe not the same as in AE, but you could find a fitting solution) and just add a image for the flags and use the path to the flags and you will always have the flags you want to show
Jav  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2021 6:17:58 AM(UTC)
Jav

Spain

Maybe it could be easier if you launch the clips from Premiere ¿?
kross  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2021 7:53:22 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I've wondered about this myself. I have AE, and I have some templates that I purchased from Envato Market. I used the templates when I used OBS before I switched to vMix. I would pre-render them, and just use them as a video file overlay. Now in vMix, I take a template that I like, and I recreate it the best I can in GT title designer. I will usually render the template in AE without any text, and play that as a background in GT and overlay my text. Works well enough, and is easier (I think) than mucking about in AE when running a live show.
thanks 1 user thanked kross for this useful post.