logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:57:43 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)

I am running a pair of identical vMix 4K systems as an A+B redundant pair, with a Blackmagic Micro (16 x 16) videohub feeding each of the 4 HD-SDI cameras to both systems, and switching the vMix Declink outputs to transmission. I also use a dual channel KVM to switch Keyboard, Mouse and Focusrite USB audio interface in the event of system failure.

I usually run both A & B systems in parallel, loading up the same preset and media from a shared NAS.

On the whole, all works very well, and switching between systems is very simple (two button pushes) and normal service can be resumed within a few seconds. The only issue is the expression of two vMixCall channels used in my preset. Obviously only one vMix system can be responsible for mastering the vMixCall channel.

Is there any logic (i.e last system loaded, or last system call manager was loaded) to how I can determine which system (A or B) will answer the call? obviously I want it to answer on the live system.

Keith
LucaL  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2020 9:08:53 AM(UTC)
LucaL

Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1 for that question
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:39:14 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
LucaL, doesn't look like anybody has a practical answer to this. My solution, I have set up two vMixcall rooms, one on each vMix system. I have then set up my own custom vMixcall front end webpage with the Room ID (Pin Number) embedded into the web page. As part of the CGI for the custom vMixcall front end the web server PING's my two vMix systems and if one fails, the Room ID (Pin Number) is replaced in the HTML with the Room ID (PIN Number) of the Vmix call channel set up on the second system. Its a bit dirty but it works.

Keith
LucaL  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2020 4:28:10 AM(UTC)
LucaL

Canada

That is quite a workaround! I might try this.

But let me understand correctly : If system A fails, Your client (the vmix caller) does need to reconnect manually to system B?

And it is the reconnecting process that is being simplified by your custom front end ?

Or in case of system A failure, is the PIN number from system A overwriting the HTML file on system B? And if so , the callers reconnections is almost instantaneous ?

I am trying to setup a backup Vmix session on a AWS instance. I am trying to find a way to switch from the main local Vmix session to the remote session as seamlessly as possible.

I usually have at least three callers and sometimes up to six . They are diplomats, ministers, high end officials, and any eventual connection problem is "not their problem" If you know what I mean ...

-L
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2020 5:27:07 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
- create your calls inputs
- save them as an independant project on your NAS
- on vMix 1, build your project as needed, sync it to vMix 2 and then append this vmixcall project to it
- if vMix1 fails, just append this calls project in vMix2

Not very nice but it should work
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
LucaL on 12/27/2020(UTC)
LucaL  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2020 9:08:41 AM(UTC)
LucaL

Canada

Merci Guillaume,

I will try to append the call inputs as suggested.

What I am doing for the moment is having the AWS remote session on a laptop next to my local system, with Vmix open but no project loaded.

An exact copy of the Vmix 01 local project is ready to be launched at anytime, obviously with the exact same Vmix call inputs.

My Vmix session on the Laptop uses a smaller Streamdeck but it works pretty good, and it is more than enough to run the show ... if need be.

So for the moment in this setup there is no sync involved between both Vmix sessions.

-L