logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ejkravetz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 8:22:07 AM(UTC)
ejkravetz

Groups: Registered
Canada

So we purchased the "blackmagic quad hdmi recorder".

Purchased to capture laptops primarily. Already using a decklink duo SDI card for cameras. I want to be able to capture the desktop via HDMI directly avoiding adapters to SDI.

Card is installed and everything is recognized with latest drivers. It would seem the card is seeing a native resolution of 1920x1200 which isn't supported in VMIX. We tried to force 1920x1080 from the GPU settings on the laptop and no luck. It just refuses to recognize properly and I get a weird resolution on the screen of 1600x1024. (THIS IS WHILE DISPLAYS ARE MIRRORED) So the desktop is cut off on the sides and I've included pictures to illustrate.

If we extend the desktop and try everything again, we can get it to work properly. It then switches to Desktop at 1600x1024.jpg (2,848kb) downloaded 11 time(s). and everything is happy and nice.

Is this and EDID issue. I've searched the forum and found one instance of someone else having this problem however I didn't really see a solution posted to this. We've called Blackmagic and they seem to be a bit surprised as well.

Anyone seen this issue before and found a workaround. I really need to be able to capture the PC in mirrored mode and NOT extended. Otherwise the card is somewhat useless and I will have to find something else.

Just in case, current specs on PC are;

i9 9900
32gb ram
ROG Strix 2070 Super (8gb)
Blackmagic Decklink Duo capture card (SDI)
VMIX Pro

Thank you.
ejkravetz  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 9:05:19 AM(UTC)
ejkravetz

Canada

Jut an update... It would seem on a mac book pro using HDMI out and scaled to 1080p it works and I can get full screen. However I need the PCs to work. Went into NVIDIA settings and forced it through. Can get full screen on the VMIX computer through some trickery however it's not very clear. Kind of fuzzy and not sharp.

aterlakas  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2020 9:03:28 PM(UTC)
aterlakas

Greece

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi in case you have intel gfx card on your laptop you have to go to intel control panel -- multiple displays --- and select the BMD device from the drop down menu and check if the display scaling scaling option is selected for some reason in the maintain aspect ratio is selected i also get black screen... when i switch to display scaling it works normaly
thanks 1 user thanked aterlakas for this useful post.
ejkravetz on 10/20/2020(UTC)
ejkravetz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2020 11:22:45 PM(UTC)
ejkravetz

Canada

Hi Aterlakas;

I was able to make it work that way as well. A bit annoying but it looks like it's solved. I appreciate your help and thanks for answering.
markl  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2020 3:40:37 PM(UTC)
markl

Singapore

You need an EDID minder in between the laptops and BM HDMI capture cards, set to 1080p.
The BM edid unfortunately is locked to 1920x1200 and can't be changed.
fwieland  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2020 7:06:06 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

I worked with a Blackmagic Quad HDMI card for the first time yesterday and had the same problem. A Apple Notebook with Thunderbolt 3 worked flawless. Then I connected a PC with both HDMI and Thunderbolt 3 connector and didn't get a picture in vMix. The Blackmagic Control Panel showed a resolution of 1920x1200@59.95Hz, even though the PC was set to 1920x1080@50Hz. This was the same through a Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter. When I connected the PC to a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI Mini Converter and connected the output to Decklink card, everything worked fine. This seems to be an EDID problem, not caused by vMix, but by the Blackmagic capture card. Maybe someboday got some feedback from Blackmagic? I have seen quite a few entries with the same error on other forums, but no solution yet.
fwieland  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2020 7:12:20 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

Originally Posted by: markl Go to Quoted Post
You need an EDID minder in between the laptops and BM HDMI capture cards, set to 1080p.
The BM edid unfortunately is locked to 1920x1200 and can't be changed.

As I wrote in my other post, I was able to get the Decklink Quad HDMI to work, simply by putting a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI Mini Converter between the PC and the Decklink Quad. The Apple Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 also worked in 1920x1080@50Hz. So I would assume that the EDID of the BM Card is not locked to 1920X1200@59.59Hz, but is simply miscomunicating.
MrKneeland  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2020 5:20:13 AM(UTC)
MrKneeland

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have fixed this after going at it for a while, although I can't ensure it will work for everyone, especially for those using mac.
I went to the Nvidia control panel, then display and selected the BDM HDMI, then changed the "native" output resolution from 1920 x 1200 to 1920 x 1080 and the refresh rate to 50Hz. Then on Vmix I selected my Quad Card's input where my HDMI cable was plugged in and selected 1920 x 1080 resolution at 50p. On a side note, We use PAL format in the UK so I can't say for the NTCS or FILM standards.
thanks 1 user thanked MrKneeland for this useful post.
dcoplin on 12/3/2020(UTC)
lyancey  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2020 1:19:25 PM(UTC)
lyancey

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks MrKneeland. I followed your advice today and it worked even though I live in the US. I actually found that things worked perfectly UNLESS I put the refresh rate at 60 HZ. Wow!!!
lyancey  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2020 1:45:16 PM(UTC)
lyancey

United States

Update. This solution worked well on my HP Omen laptop, however my HP Elitebook laptop does not have the same display card options. I cannot get the HP Elitebook laptop to display with the BM Quad HDMI.
lyancey  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2020 2:02:51 AM(UTC)
lyancey

United States

ISSUE FIXED!!!!! I have tried this fix on three different laptops (2 different Lenovo laptops and 1 Surface Pro) and all worked with a direct connection from their HDMI port to the BM Decklink Quad HDMI. This worked for duplicated and extended desktops.

Two central issues I found:
1) Check to see if your graphic device's "Refresh rate" is 60 HZ. I found that THIS DOES NOT WORK! Change it to 59 HZ or 30 HZ.
2) Check to make sure that the "Active signal resolution" of the graphic device is set to 1920x1080. However, I have seen this work at 1366x768 on one of the Lenovos.

Change "Refresh rate" by going to Display> Advance display settings> (Select Display 1 or Display 2: BMD HDMI from drop down).
Next, click "Display adapter properties for display 1 (or 2).
Next, Under the "Monitor" tab, change the refresh rate to 59 HZ or 30 HZ.

Change "Active signal resolution" by going to Display> Advance display settings> (Select Display 1 or Display 2: BMD HDMI from drop down).
Next, click "Display adapter properties for display 1 (or 2).
Next, Under the "Adapter" tab, click "List All Modes" and select 1920x1080 59 HZ.

This takes less than 30 seconds in real time. Just sounds long. However, no EDID equipment needed.

I hope this helps you, because I was ready to send the Decklink Quad HDMI card back to the store.
thanks 2 users thanked lyancey for this useful post.
accent-av on 6/12/2021(UTC), Yabbuck on 9/24/2021(UTC)