logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JAIRODJ  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2020 1:38:06 AM(UTC)
JAIRODJ

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi, they could also improve the accuracy of the MarkIn and MarkOut points of the video player, they are currently impressed in addition to the fact that the playback bar moves between long points, between several seconds of space. It would be possible that they work like the videos in replay, which are more exact.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2020 2:32:24 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
This has been discussed many times over years...

The accuracy of markers depends on the video codecs used.

If you want frame accuracy use intermediate codecs like AVCHD, ProRes or DNxHD which offer intraframe control (each frame is a keyframe so markers can be defined anywhere)

OTOH if you use H.264 /H.265 which are "Long GOP" codecs, markers can only be on I frames, aka "keyframes". The same keyframe interval that we have to set for streaming (usually 2 seconds)

As you noticed, vMix IR allows this BECAUSE replays are NOT H.264.

More info on GOP : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures
JAIRODJ  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2020 9:35:41 AM(UTC)
JAIRODJ

Man

@Dwam

Thanks for the info
JAIRODJ  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 9:46:11 AM(UTC)
JAIRODJ

Man

I have just seen in another software (specifically VIRTUAL DJ www.virtualdj.com) that also handles videos, in which the position points (CUE) that are added if they are precise, obviously the comparison is with the same video, both the vMix as in virtualdj.
That is what makes me think, because vMix has not implemented that way of playing the videos and allowing you to explore the videos with that precision.
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 5:14:04 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
It's true that some softwares (especially the NLEs like Premiere, Resolve, FCPX, etc... and some others) offer frame by frame positionning even with LONG-GOP video files. However one must realize that you cannot talk about accuracy as most of the frames are "pure calculation" - they are virtual frames - since they do not contain all the pixels and still depend on the previous and next i-frame. This is very CPU intensive and it does not always work perfectly btw...
If you really need this, vMix lets you use any third party video software for playout through NDI capture. NDI is natively supported by VLC and Adobe for example...
JAIRODJ  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2020 12:42:42 AM(UTC)
JAIRODJ

Man

It is not exactly that I need it urgently, only that I was concerned that vMix with all the advanced it is today, still did not support that precision. Obviously there is third party software for that as you already mentioned. The detail is that vMix, by having a Videolist, for video lists (which is practically an as if it were an external player, which was the way it was used before), also accompany it with precision when exploring the videos and adding CUE points, it would be optimal and great.