logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Arno  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 6:28:26 AM(UTC)
Arno

Groups: Registered
Germany

Hello everyone,

I used vMix Call for getting remote guests into a small studio just fine and love the implementation and simplicity! Now I have to host complete remote shows where all guest are coming in via vMix Call - as many of you probably have done already or need to do to.

The tricky thing is to do more than 2 callers, since I have to be able to do 4 callers.
If going beyond that (for say 6 callers and up) is a requirement I will pass the job on to folks who use vMix on dedicated servers in data centers and can do advanced stuff like SRT etc.

So everything is meant for up to 4 callers at the same time:
I have a vMix 4k License.
Because of the way calls are dynamic in framerate and resolution the recording can't be done with the MultiCorder due to dropped frames, chopped files etc. and will be send outside to a second machine running Metus Ingest which can accept either SDI or NDI sources (SRT is also possible).

10Gbase-T, Decklink 8Ks and other hardware is available - its the software internal routing which I have questions about:

• If I want to take care of ISO recording and having a custom mix minus I would have to use two busses for each guest? Each guest would need to receive a bus where everyone else is on but not the source signal and I have to have a "solo" bus for the iso recording.
  • If I want to record each guest in my native project framerate (25p) I have to use all four Outputs to use vMix internal rendering engine to have a clean signal
  • With this setup I can`t send my guest a split-screen / output back since my outputs are all occupied with the incoming Calls - not even the PGM can`t be send back
  • Sending all Calls via NDI is possible too but leaves me with the native 29.97FPS of the calls / webcam plus not having the stability of vMix filling in frames and scaling If I read that correctly
  • I want to record a multiview or virtual studio for that for reference but don`t have any Output free other than Fullscreen which can be used but is a bit DIY with a HDMI ingest-card.

None of this needs to be broadcasted or streamed since its a prerecording.

The license would allow a second machine running another instance of vMix so I could split it up with 2 calls on each machine but before I go into this complicated scenario I wanted to make sure I understood everything so far correctly.

Thanks in advance!

PS: on another note my go-to soundguys complained about the processing which is automatically done in vMix calls like compressions and noise-reduction. Is there a way to leave the signal "pure" for non-live situations? This could be especially useful since we sometimes have access to the guests and can provide them with decent microphones and sound-interfaces as recording kits which drasticall improve the quality of the whole show/format.
mavik  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 7:28:48 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 147 post(s)
If I want to take care of ISO recording and having a custom mix minus I would have to use two busses for each guest? Each guest would need to receive a bus where everyone else is on but not the source signal and I have to have a "solo" bus for the iso recording.
No, You would need guests+1 audio busses. one common for recording and one individual. Maybe you can make use of a tickbox in the settings that makes all sources available as NDI feeds and record them this way.

If I want to record each guest in my native project framerate (25p) I have to use all four Outputs to use vMix internal rendering engine to have a clean signal
Just enable NDI output for all inputs.

With this setup I can`t send my guest a split-screen / output back since my outputs are all occupied with the incoming Calls - not even the PGM can`t be send back
No, see answers above.

Sending all Calls via NDI is possible too but leaves me with the native 29.97FPS of the calls / webcam plus not having the stability of vMix filling in frames and scaling If I read that correctly.
If you are looking for a more relieable and predicable solution don't use call, use SRT. There is software that locks the NDI output to a specific setting. When using this software you have individual NDI feeds that could be ISO recorded easily.

I want to record a multiview or virtual studio for that for reference but don`t have any Output free other than Fullscreen which can be used but is a bit DIY with a HDMI ingest-card.
No, see above.

on another note my go-to soundguys complained about the processing which is automatically done in vMix calls like compressions and noise-reduction
This is how webRTC works. It's browser based. You can change the browser setting and I recommend using beta.vmixcall.com

As we are located in the same timezone you can PM me and we can do a teamviewer session.
thanks 1 user thanked mavik for this useful post.
Arno on 8/11/2020(UTC)
Arno  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 4:56:04 PM(UTC)
Arno

Germany

Thank you very much!
Wrote you a pm and I will post my results once the setup/workflow is complete.
scalerious  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2020 11:40:16 AM(UTC)
scalerious

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
"There is software that locks the NDI output to a specific setting. When using this software you have individual NDI feeds that could be ISO recorded easily."

do you have the names of some of the software that does this? I downloaded Livemind, but when the call drops frames, livemind begins a new file (just like vmix)

I am looking for a solution to record iso's of the callers outside of vmix.

My solution so far is to build a second vmix machine with a separate license and gain 4 more Outputs in which to send calls to and record single file isos.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
mavik  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2020 11:04:10 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Sure, very easy. Take a look at medialooks VT products. I'm available for demo/testing.

Disclaimer: I bought a license myself and do not get any discount nor any benefits from medialooks.