logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jonashn  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2020 11:58:10 PM(UTC)
Jonashn

Groups: Registered
Denmark

Hi guys!

I hope you can help me.

I’m a classical organist, and I’m trying to make organ concerts accessible to a wider audience.
My plan is to have a projector in the church that shows what I’m doing in real time - instead of looking at some organ pipes with me hidden behind them, the audience will actually see what I’m doing.
I think this idea has a lot of potential, but I’m not totally sure what equipment to get.

My requirements are:
a total price of hopefully not more than 3-4000$
A HD camera with no more than 1 frame of latency (or whatever is possible)
A hd projector with a brightness of minimum 3000-4000 ansi lumens
Wireless video (not gonna roll up cable every time I play a concert, esp. not in long complicated churches)

I’ve been researching a lot, and so far this is what I’ve come up with:

Pretty cheap solution; get a Marshall CV506 camera, transfer HDMI through a teradec ace 500 to a projector with minimal hdmi lag like the Optoma HD39HDR (16ms latency at 60fps). (Alternately don’t buy the wireless and just use a 100m SDI cable and a BM Mini SDI->hdmi Converter in front of the projector)

To make this setup nicer, I could get a SDI camera - cheapest option is propably the BM Micro studio camera 4K, connect that to a no-latency sdi streaming thing, and then find a suitable projector. I’m however unable to find any projector that takes SDI in a price range of 1000-1500 usd.

These are all my ramblings. Tell me what I should do. I’m very obsessed with latency, since I don’t want people to see me play a key 100ms after I’ve played it - that would be too annoying to watch.

As a bonus I’d love to put a Atem mini in between the camera and the projector to do a lower 3rd, but I’m unable to find out exactly what latency that introduces.
Jonashn  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 6:32:11 AM(UTC)
Jonashn

Denmark

Anyone? I’d love to get some advice.
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 7:20:15 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Don't focus too much about latency. 99.9% of the audience will not even notice a 5 frame offset.
Each hardware device in the chain will add 1 frame.
Most wireless transmitters will add a lot more latency than cables. Running cables is part of the job. I wouldn't rely on wireless (unless you have way more budget).
Consider HDMI over Fiber which handles very well long distance runs. Or classic SDI (even with HDMI to SDI / SDI to HDMI converters)

Personal opinions :
- static shots are boring to death.
- if you want to produce interest, go for a multicam setup
- a 3 cams / 3 angles would be a good starting point, even with cheaper cams (like prosumer camcorders) rather than a single 4K cam which won't be used at full potential anyway
- I'd do something like:
shot 1 : from aside, medium shot on your face and your hands on the keys
shot 2 : reverse angle but focusing on your feet
shot 3 : something creative, certainly from above, with something like a GoPro maybe with wide angle lens taken from the pipes giving a perspective view on the instrument and you playing it
- This implies a switcher with auto mix capability (unless you have a director). vMix could do the job using the "playlist" feature or with scripting. But vMix could introduce a bit more latency than a hardware switcher.
- Thinks like the ATEM can't auto switch AFAIK, but if you have time to switch from time to time, why not ? After all, it's only 4 more keys and your right foot is available sometime ! ;o)

I have no advice regarding small beamers. I use Christies and Barcos 20000 or 40000 lumens or LED walls... Not the same league.

Don't know how churches are like in Denmark but I did produce a ceremony in a huge French cathedral lately, it's way more complicated than regular venues or concert halls... Light is a critical point...

Not sure to be very helpful here, sorry... Maybe some other guys will have other advices.
mavik  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 10:09:15 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
SDVoE claims to be almost free of latency/delay. But that requires a heavy investment.
I assume there is a very tiny group to judge on the latency. That would be the people being physically in the church and watching the stream in parallel. All others that only watch the stream have no relation to the real action in the church and even 30 sec latency wouldn't be noticed at all.

Marshall does have good small cameras, indeed. GoPros are widely common as well. The biggest part would be to mic the organ and sync it with the video. That said it might make sense to look for cams that can be synced with each other. Something like the z cam E2 if we want to stay small. Marshall cams might have the same capabilities, I don't know.
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 4:31:59 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
@Mavik

Quote:
even 30 sec latency wouldn't be noticed at all

IMAG stands for Image Magnification. Here there is no streaming at all, the idea is to provide the audience physically present with a better view on the performance. So latency matters even though there will be at least 2/3/4 frames minimum.

Quote:
The biggest part would be to mic the organ

No need to do that here. It's only for the people in the church. A pipe organ is loud enough for a church, thus there is no PA at all.

z cam E2 is a good option, but I suspect there is not enough budget to go this way (and I'm not absolutely sure about the auto focus)