logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DNatz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 4:37:00 AM(UTC)
DNatz

Groups: Registered
United States

First off, y'all have an outstanding product! Please excuse the newbie presence, but I have a quick question.

I was hoping to maximize my Blackmagic DeckLink Quad card and use (3) of the SDI ports as INPUTS and (5) as OUTPUTS. Our studio situation tends to require multiple "confidence" monitors from various sources; PGM, ISO CAM1, ISO CAM2, ISO CAM3, Graphics, etc. In other words, people, in studio, need to see everything. Yes, this tends to turn into a massive headache but our current Ross Carbonite Black Solo switcher gives us that sort of flexibility. Is this possible to accomplish within the vMix software? From what I can see, I am only able assign two independent sources as outputs.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Babbit  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 2:15:38 PM(UTC)
Babbit

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Yep, with the external outputs it's pretty much as you see it. Also, those two external outputs are tied to vMix output 1 and 2, respectively. Keep in mind that vMix output 1 is also for your streaming and first recorder.

As a suggestion, if your cameras are going to be on those SDI inputs, use the loop out functionality of the Decklink card to get your confidences for those cameras. It's sort of doing the reverse of this particular knowledge base article:

https://www.vmix.com/kno...k-quad2-to-be-8-channels

Assuming your 3 inputs are cameras, you get those 3 confidences more or less for free in terms of computing resources. That would leave your other two outputs for the external output usage from vMix, one being program and the other being whatever you dictate on vMix output 2.

There are some other levels of voodoo you can do by using NDI and then turning it around to SDI using Newtek NDI connect, but it all comes with a price in performance.

Comparing vMix to a Carbonite is a bit of a unfair comparison. The Carbonite and other switchers of that flavor all live in the baseband world, while vMix is a jack of all trades at a rock bottom price point comparatively. That said, they both have their values and can co-exist thanks to the SDI functionality. We're living off of vMix Calls and the occasional SRT feed at my job thanks to the pandemic, and they all get piped into Grass Valley Kayaks and Kayennes via Decklink cards.