logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LeeL  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 4:12:06 PM(UTC)
LeeL

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Why is there no BLACK default video source ?

There is FADE to BLACK but why is that black video source not available for other purposes.
If FTB is available then the source BLACK is already in the system.

Request the video source BLACK be available as an internal source without having to create a Color Black video Input.
Or automatically create input #300 as the color black, so calling or keying over input 300, we know will be black.
chasseb  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 5:56:38 AM(UTC)
chasseb

Canada

go to add input, go to colour select blacl colour and VOILA
LeeL  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 10:30:00 AM(UTC)
LeeL

United States

Yes But EVERY switcher on the planet includes black burst. Why do I have create a BLACK input every time for every program.
BLACK is already in VMIX, its called "Fade to Black". Why can there not be a Virtual BLACK input that I can reference by just calling BLACK ?

This is so simple.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 11:04:50 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
As you said there is a fade to black. Use it ! (There is even a shortcut for it and a alert display in the UI (v24))
Isn't a auto created input #300 not the same as the suggested color input in any position you like (auto AddInput if one feels like it ) ?

There a lot of things EVERY switcher on the planet can not do or allows you to do like vMix ;-)
LeeL  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 3:18:52 PM(UTC)
LeeL

United States

doggy I think you missed the point. As you must be aware, FTB is not the same as having a black input. Your suggestion is not a solution and trying to justify not having a hardcoded Black burst is trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

And I don't care what vMix does that other switchers don't. vMix is a great product if you are a computer weenie. But for those of who actually have television production background, and are producing content for paying clients, we expect at least the basics to be in place. Like BLACK. This is something that should have been in the 1.0 release, not ver 24 !

As far as .24, I spent almost 20 years in product marketing for a multi-billion dollar software company, so I no longer get excited about testing the latest and greatest. So I have no idea what is in 24 at this point. Other than 8 camera replay which 98% of the market will never use. Stability and Reliably are #1 and #2 feature requirements in my business.

spino  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 5:46:15 PM(UTC)
spino

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Frankly, I don't understand what is the problem. Vmix is built to have some inputs that everyone can add. I suppose that what LeeL proposed is to add a button (black burst) to add a new input. Is it so different than create a new input color and select "black"? Furthermore the burst (synchronism) could have a sense in analogic TV but in products like Vmix I don't see the utility.
Paul Fuhrmann  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 7:43:58 PM(UTC)
Paul Fuhrmann

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hey LeeL,

can you further explain what you want to do with this black input?

I am more with the others that when i want to create an black input rather then ftb i just build one via the color input.

But what i hear from the subtext of your posts is special usage of the black input(burst) for a fixed funktion.
Like routing the black input to an aux out to use as an sync generator.

But if you are familiar with software development, you will see that your request will be discarded because you all ready can create an black input..

vMix thinks like an production switcher wich is freely configurable. No chains yes but also doom if you always recreate similar shows wich fit your workflow.
Maybe you will try to build your base show/mixer and save it as an file. Then load this as default to further adjustments.
From my time in Theatre i had such file for my audiodesk ableton and resolume wich only had an empty state but all timesavers like midi triggers and bus routings stored.

I also hate sometimes a bit how adjustment heavy vMix is. But overall you are really fast if compare to different machines to archive the same (Tally Setup, CG Software-Machine, Video-Player [GPIO commands for this])

But tell us your user story and in this context it may make sense what you are requesting.

Greetings Paul
LeeL  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 12:38:38 PM(UTC)
LeeL

United States

Paul, thanks. I guess what I am asking for is a way to access the exiting source that already exist.

BLACK is hidden some where in vmix because it is used in FTB.
All I am asking for is Virtual input called BLACK.

Obviously I do what everyone else does an that is create an input and name it BLACK.
But depending on when you create this it gets an input number 1,2... 12...20 etc. So it gets in the way or I am having to manually drag it to the end of the list.

Unfortunate there is not away to move it to #300. At least I have not found away.

I think what bugs me the most is why is this not already available. That is what I was trying to get across to doggy.

Paul, I get it. Its not a show stopper and I am not trying to make it more than it needs to be. But it seems so simple, so obvious and something is already coded into the system.

Clean Up Your Room
Let me be clear, I think vMix is an amazing piece of engineering. But, it is like they are running so fast, they don't have time to clean up the obvious interface defects.
One module works this way but another using a completely different approach. Example: There is NO cancel or Undo function under multiview / position. If you dare touch a single control the ONLY option is RESET all the settings. What ??? How can they not fix this ?

So the BLACK issue is not as big of a deal, and as I said previously, its seems like something in the ver. 1.0 not a request for ver 24. :)

Paul thanks for input and questions.
doggy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 5:21:52 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Hi LeeL

Quote:
I think what bugs me the most is why is this not already available. That is what I was trying to get across to doggy.

I do get it as there are many such things that are there but not directly accessible. Even indirectly by function (say a status) for example as then one could at least "create" ones own "function".
I just try not not let it bug me especially if i can find an alternative as i know "feature requests" take a while if at all ;-)

Quote:
But depending on when you create this it gets an input number 1,2... 12...20 etc. So it gets in the way or I am having to manually drag it to the end of the list

Assuming you want to acces it by a shortcut for example, calling it by name would solve the number problem (and just minimize that input).
Except for a specific position (1st to last) it's indeed not possible to put it say @ #300 if there are less inputs, would always moving the last be an alternative for now ( through script) when adding other inputs?
LeeL  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 5:52:35 PM(UTC)
LeeL

United States

yes nothing ever works exactly the way we all want and our job is to figure out how to use the tools we have available. Its a challenge but also one of the best parts. :)

And yes naming the input BLACK and referring it by name certainly works which what I have had to do. At least being able to calle an input by name is certainly a bonus.

Doggy, I should say I do enjoy your post. Not sure if you work for vmix support or not but you are certainly every where. I enjoy reading your in-depth replies.

Thanks, Lee
doggy  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 6:12:34 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: LeeL Go to Quoted Post
Not sure if you work for vmix support or not

Just to clarify : NO but do have fun with looking for workarounds :-)