logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LaserHarp  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:04:27 AM(UTC)
LaserHarp

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Martin,
yesterday we finish a 2 day congress. We were switching, streaming and recording at the same time with Vmix. All fine except two mp4 recordings. In both cases we recorded more than 3 hours, the recorded file sizes were 4,85 GB and 5,54 GB.
We can not play this files. It seems that they are corrupted. I have tried to open the files in every player, software and computers that we have.

The rest of recordings didn't have any problems. Their sizes were 3,5 GB, 1,5 GB, 1,1 GB, 1,1 GB.

The recordings are stored in a Solid State Hard Drive, NTFS. The Operative System is installed and running in another Hard Drive with W7, 16 GB RAM, i7, Vmix 10.0.0.59

We have recorded in this Solid State Hard Drive large files (more than 6 GB) and we had no problem. The differences were: we used Vmix 9.1.31 and TS Video format, not mp4.

Can you help me with this?. Do you know any tool to repair or analyze the files?. I have to deliver these recordings to my customer and I don't know how to recover them.

Regards

Fernando
admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:48:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi Fernando,

The first thing to do is make copies of these recordings before trying to repair them.
There are repair programs out there that have been known to break things and actually make videos unrepairable in the future, so making a copy is a good first step.

Then, try opening one of the recordings with mediainfo and see what the result it.
http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

I will get back to you tomorrow with some more information after I do a bit of research into the best mp4 repair options.

Regards,

Martin
vMIx
Damn2Good4U  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 8:30:10 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi Fernando,

The first thing to do is make copies of these recordings before trying to repair them.
There are repair programs out there that have been known to break things and actually make videos unrepairable in the future, so making a copy is a good first step.

Then, try opening one of the recordings with mediainfo and see what the result it.
http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

I will get back to you tomorrow with some more information after I do a bit of research into the best mp4 repair options.

Regards,

Martin
vMIx

Awwwwww! Nice one
julianlee  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 4:14:14 AM(UTC)
julianlee

Man

Hi, Martin.

Our user customers, the same situation.
Use Vmix 10.0.0.59 / 4 hours recording / MP4 / 1280x720 / 25M bps / recording file size: 12GB /

File (record) how to repair, I expect.
admin  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 5:18:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

After some research it has been discovered that Windows 7 has an MP4 recording size limit of 4GB.
Windows 8 does not have this limitation.

You may be able to recover the recording by taking advantage of a professional video recovery service such as:
http://mp4repair.org/

I would recommend recording to MPEG-2 TS for long recordings as it is easily recoverable in the event
of power outage or system failure and has no recording size limit.

I've updated the help file with some reliability information on the various formats:

http://www.vmix.com.au/help10/Recording2.html

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
watchfulone on 10/1/2013(UTC)
LaserHarp  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:43:16 AM(UTC)
LaserHarp

Hi Martin, thanks for the info. In my case is too late, but sure it can help other people to avoid this issue in the future.
I have tryied in mp4repair. They analyse the file and show you 3 preview pictures of the video. The cost is 299$ per 1 file. I have to repair 2 files so 600$ are beyond my budget. Do you know another less expensive tool, or free, if possible, to do this job?.

Regards
Fernando

admin wrote:
After some research it has been discovered that Windows 7 has an MP4 recording size limit of 4GB.

You may be able to recover the recording by taking advantage of a professional video recovery service such as:

I would recommend recording to MPEG-2 TS for long recordings as it is easily recoverable in the event

I've updated the help file with some reliability information on the various formats:

Regards,

Martin
vMix

watchfulone  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:17:33 AM(UTC)
watchfulone

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
admin wrote:

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Thank you for that info Martin I never know that MP4 has a limit of 4GB, I too suffer lost after recording a funeral service
that lasted a couple hours which would bring the size to more than 4GB, and now I cannot play the file because it is damage or corrupted.
Using windows 7 64bit
admin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:45:25 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yes, the 4GB limit is an unfortunate limitation of Microsoft's encoder under Windows 7.
We have done MP4 testing for hours on end mostly under Windows 8 which is why the issue didn't show up for us.

It is worth reminding everyone about the importance of always having a backup recording, for example
using the built in recording functions in one or more cameras if available.

Recording to MPEG-2 TS is also a good option and is the format of choice in many professional studios.
(Sony XDCAM is based on MPEG-2 for example)

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Brian Hazelden  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:54:38 PM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The AVI option in Recording Set-Up allows recording in small file sizes - "Restart Every X Minutes".

Can this not be implemented under MP4, or indeed all, codecs with a warning about W7 and MP4?

Brian
LaserHarp  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:23:34 AM(UTC)
LaserHarp

Hi Guys, any suggestiion about free or open source tools for recorvering mp4 damaged files?
I'm trying to find them but is not easy.

Regards

Fernando
Martin Jacob  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:47:42 PM(UTC)
Martin Jacob

LaserHarp wrote:
Hi Martin,
yesterday we finish a 2 day congress. We were switching, streaming and recording at the same time with Vmix. All fine except two mp4 recordings. In both cases we recorded more than 3 hours, the recorded file sizes were 4,85 GB and 5,54 GB.
We can not play this files. It seems that they are corrupted. I have tried to open the files in every player, software and computers that we have.

The rest of recordings didn't have any problems. Their sizes were 3,5 GB, 1,5 GB, 1,1 GB, 1,1 GB.

The recordings are stored in a Solid State Hard Drive, NTFS. The Operative System is installed and running in another Hard Drive with W7, 16 GB RAM, i7, Vmix 10.0.0.59

We have recorded in this Solid State Hard Drive large files (more than 6 GB) and we had no problem. The differences were: we used Vmix 9.1.31 and TS Video format, not mp4.

Can you help me with this?. Do you know any tool to repair or analyze the files?. I have to deliver these recordings to my customer and I don't know how to recover them.

Regards

Fernando

Hi everyone,
No need to get fret, since there are many tools developed to fix damaged MP4 file. Among those tools Remo Repair is the trusted one and employ it to fix MP4 file corrupted due to sudden power failure, improper file transfer process, etc.
thanks 1 user thanked Martin Jacob for this useful post.
daniel514 on 9/10/2014(UTC)