logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macsam  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:43:48 PM(UTC)
macsam

Groups: Registered

Hi guys, I need your advice.

I am about to get involved in a training business, namely 2-day TV presenter workshops. Working as a / with TV presenters has been my area of expertise, so I am pretty confident I can handle this. Aside from my talking, people talking etc., I obviously want to give the participants some studio time, so they can get acquainted with talking, listening and movement in front of the cameras.

My requirements are:
- max portability and ease of setup: short setup and fold-up time, 1-2 person operation
- 2 static cameras (tripods)
- green screen support (live green screen, post not enough)
- software-based video switching on a laptop computer (obviously, I like vMix)
- ability to record switcher output for further post work for showreels
- cheap :)

Quality is not a big issue - I am thinking SD, as long as chroma key is bearable (vMix's chroma key is decent even with webcams).

Obviously, the bottleneck for the whole system would be the laptop - no built-in HDMI, SDI or analog inputs, but I can't be bothered to use a desktop workstation. This somehow limits my choice of cameras, so I'm thinking of either:

a. cheap camcorders with composite/S-Video out (JVC everio anyone? outputs not hidden behind LCD panel) -> A/D USB video converters (EZcap-style) -> laptop
b. decent webcam via USB 2.0 (Logitech c920 HD for its lens quality / MS Lifecam for its prosumer look) -> laptop
c. cheap camcorder/DSLR with HDMI out -> external capture hardware (Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle) - > laptop (this would require a laptop with USB 3.0 controller)
d. a mix of some of the above (say, 1 camcorder with composite + 1 webcam?)

Camcorders and DSLR with their LCDs would allow me to prepare my shots without resorting to switcher preview, also allowing me to use zooming when needed. Also, they would look a bit more professional, but they do require external hardware for connection.
Webcams would be much easier to use (just plug to USB) and more portable. On the other hand, they would look a bit too consumer-ish - little devices awkwardly sitting on their tripods, and the lenses are probably worse.

Priorities are: cost > portability > quality
I don't want to invest thousands of $$$, this won't be a pro broadcast studio. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:41:45 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
You might want to explore Magewell capture card options and/or an external PCI enclosure such as those from Magma. It adds to the overall cost of your set-up but broadens your camera options and maintains your portability requirements.

Ice