logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnnyBG  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2020 5:16:03 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

Groups: Registered

Has anybody tried any of these tally systems with vMix? Our cameras are mounted to the walls, so don't need a camera
operator. As such, we don't need the rear facing lights, so would need a way to turn those off. I guess I could always
put black paper over the rear lights. Also, it would work best for us if we did not have to turn them on and then off when done. I think
that may be how #3 works, so could be a problem. #1 and #2 have wired systems using Cat5 or 6 wire, which is OK for our set up.

1) Metasetz
2) Skaarhoj
3) Cerevo
JohnnyBG  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 8:31:18 PM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

It doesn't seem like these are very popular.
elvis55  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:32:40 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
mavik  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:41:49 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 147 post(s)
You can take birddogs. They have build in tally.
guidogast  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 12:51:52 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Man
Netherlands

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
My solution could help I guess, you can use the NEOFLASH HAT extension to have a bigger light shining at the talent on the stage.

https://forums.vmix.com/...C--ESP32-Board--for-vMix

It's the cheapest one by far! You can get one for $10 per light. Granted, you need to flash the firmware yourself, but hey, if it saves a lot of money, isn't that worth it? Plus, it's easily done if you follow the video tutorial I made. Anyone can do it.

Reconnection to vMix can be done with the Web UI. I'm actively thinking about implementing other solutions for this, such as try to reconnect after a certain interval. Any feature requests are welcome, just post them to the thread, or on GitHub.
spino  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:35:54 AM(UTC)
spino

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 13 post(s)
If you have time to build it, I suggest the project I made using Arduino. It' very simple to do. Everything is explained here:

JohnnyBG  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 6:54:26 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

The M5Stick seems to be quite interesting. There are two problems for me. Our cameras are mounted on the ceiling and walls so will be a major headache to charge or replace batteries each week. If there were a USB port to charge, I could run power to it, and turn it on and off as needed (like we do for the cameras).
The other problem is that we do not have camera operators, so would only need the red "Live" light to show. I am not a programmer, but am always up for a challenge.
Question - Do these need to be programmed or reset each time they are used? We have a few volunteers that run vMix and that might be a challenge for some of them.
guidogast  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 7:05:58 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Man
Netherlands

Originally Posted by: JohnnyBG Go to Quoted Post
The M5Stick seems to be quite interesting. There are two problems for me. Our cameras are mounted on the ceiling and walls so will be a major headache to charge or replace batteries each week. If there were a USB port to charge, I could run power to it, and turn it on and off as needed (like we do for the cameras).
The other problem is that we do not have camera operators, so would only need the red "Live" light to show. I am not a programmer, but am always up for a challenge.
Question - Do these need to be programmed or reset each time they are used? We have a few volunteers that run vMix and that might be a challenge for some of them.

Hey Johnny,

You need to flash the software from github to the m5stick. I explain how to do that in the video. Once the firmware is on there, you need to configure it once and that's it.

As for the power, it does have a USB type-c port so you could use a cheap phone charger as a power source from wherever power is given to the camera. You could purchase the development kit and use some of the mounts to mount it to the wall.

I'm actively developing the software and I plan to add a feature that allows a reconnection to vMix after a certain interval. Still have to think through it, but that's coming in a future version 😄

Hope this helps
JohnnyBG  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 8:45:11 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

What do you mean, "allow reconnection"? Are you saying that it will disconnect while it's in use?
guidogast  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2020 9:53:48 PM(UTC)
guidogast

Man
Netherlands

Originally Posted by: JohnnyBG Go to Quoted Post
What do you mean, "allow reconnection"? Are you saying that it will disconnect while it's in use?

No, it will remain connected as long as vMix is running. The problem is that once vMix is closed, the connection obviously gets lost. I just released v2.2.0 and that allows you to configure the stick to try to reconnect to vMix every x seconds (I recommend 60 seconds or so). That way, you can just leave it on and not worry about having to physically touch the stick.
MarkyG  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 4:10:23 AM(UTC)
MarkyG

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Or you can use my version of Guido's project that uses an M5Stack ATOM Matrix, which is kind of like the m5Stick and the NEOFLASH HAT all in one small package (and half the price of the two). Our cameras are also wall mounted and I easily attached the lights to the bottom of the camera mount with some double-sided foam tape.

Github code and instructions are here: https://github.com/MarkG.../ATOM-Matrix-Tally-Light

Here's a pic of the m5Stick and the ATOM side-by-side. Sorry for the over exposure.

Tally light