logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Animatic  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:55:12 PM(UTC)
Animatic

Groups: Registered

With the type of events we do we need to be able to play several video files back to back on Que.

Picture an awards show: We start with an animated logo video, then on the first announcement of nominees I dissolve to a the first nominees video, then on the Winner announcement I dissolve to the winner video, then usually back to the logo loop.

This sequence normally continues for 15 to 30 categories.

I thought I could setup three inputs #1 being the Logo Loop, #2 being the Nominees Video List, #3 being the Winners Video List.

The catch is what needs to happen is that each video in the lists are Que'd to the beginning after the switch. Make sense?

Sequence breakdown:

Logo Loop is playing...
switch to Nominee list - First video in Nominee list plays
switch to Winner List - First video in Winner list plays AND the 2nd video in the Nominee list is automatically qued.
switch back to logo loop - Logo Loop plays AND the 2nd video in the Winner list is automatically qued.

switch to Nominee list - 2nd video in Nominee list plays
switch to Winner List - 2nd video in winner list plays AND the 3rd video in the Nominee list is automatically qued.
switch back to logo loop - Logo Loop plays AND the 3rd video in the Winner list is automatically qued.

This sequence repeats till the award show is over.

Is this something I can do? It doesn't have to work exactly this way but the results have to be the same.

Any feed back would be helpful.

Thanks!
Kevin
Damn2Good4U  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:01:40 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
YES you can and do much more...

The vMix possibilities are endless.

Good luck

Animatic  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:24:06 PM(UTC)
Animatic

Damn2Good4U wrote:
YES you can and do much more...

The vMix possibilities are endless.

Good luck

Could you please be a little more descriptive?
How would I go about setting something like this up?

It is extremely important that i get this right the first time...
Normally I would enjoy spending the time experimenting but I have to do this live next week.
Please a brief tutorial on this would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:41:11 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
What you describe is certainly possible, but probably not as "automated" as you might like.
You can play individual items in a list or you can sequentially play them by checking the "Automatically Play Next Item" tick box.
Therein lies the "problem" as the automatic "queuing" becomes a factor of your "timing" the transition at the right time because the playback won't stop automatically.
I would suggest doing it "manually" by pre-selecting which video in the list you want to play (right click on input) before going to "air" with it. Perhaps a little more hectic for the TD/Switcher operator to queue up but will alleviate any possibility of running into the next video accidentally.

Ice
Animatic  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:39:43 AM(UTC)
Animatic

IceStream wrote:
What you describe is certainly possible, but probably not as "automated" as you might like.
You can play individual items in a list or you can sequentially play them by checking the "Automatically Play Next Item" tick box.
Therein lies the "problem" as the automatic "queuing" becomes a factor of your "timing" the transition at the right time because the playback won't stop automatically.
I would suggest doing it "manually" by pre-selecting which video in the list you want to play (right click on input) before going to "air" with it. Perhaps a little more hectic for the TD/Switcher operator to queue up but will alleviate any possibility of running into the next video accidentally.

Ice

Sorry I do not have the program in front of me right now or I would just check this out myself but...

I don't need to worry about "running into the next clip accidentally" because I add more than enough pad to every clip. ie: Nominees intro is about a 30 second read, And I usually have about 3 minutes of pad on my clips. If on the rare case they go long I can always switch to the Logo Loop as my safety screen.

Will "Automatically Play Next Item" Que up the next item on the switch even if the last item never finished playing?
That is what I need.

Thanks for all the help so far,
Kevin
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 12:09:25 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Animatic
No, the clips play sequentially, once one finishes the next one starts, which is why I suggest selecting the desired clip manually each time, it will give you more control over what plays and when from your list.
I would look into doing this with shortcut keys (Next Item) of either Preview or for each play list. You'll have to play with it to find what works best for you.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
Animatic on 2/24/2014(UTC)