logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Simsyuk  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:28:44 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hi all, need some help if anyone can offer me some guidance?

I'm using a spare room (lets call that the studio) to broadcast a live chat show with four hosts along with guests joining us via Skype (we can't use vCall as I only have one available).

Currently I'm using 4 channel UHF mini wireless lavalier lapel mic system for the hosts to use with the output placed into my PC Sound Blaster Z mic input, it works great (audio input via vMix) but sadly the hosts can't hear the Skype guest (NDI input).

Along with the mic, I'm using a very cheap (ebay rubbish) EX-218 UHF wireless audio tour guide monitoring system so the hosts can hear me directly without the viewers knowing what I'm saying- so far it's doing the job.

I use a spare visual monitor so the hosts can see what is being broadcasted along with the comments from the viewers, the monitor has an audio output, but if I turn this up (so the hosts can hear the Skype caller) I get terrible feedback, an option I don't want to use.

If I don't have a Skype guest then everything is ok, very basic but it works.

Therefore this is my idea of an improved more semi-professional setup:

1. Studio hosts and Skype guest(s) to hear me (as a producer).
2. Studio hosts to hear Skype guest
3. Skype guest to hear hosts - Skype guest uses headsets (this is usually ok via vMix).
3. Viewers to hear all guests
4. Viewers can't hear me talking to hosts and guest

I have a basic 4 channel Xenyk Q502USB sound mixer available if needed (was donated but never used).

I wish to upgrade (purchase equipment) and go a bit more semi-professional but I'm just not sure what to purchase or how to make the idea above achievable.

Any suggestions on how to achieve the above idea (and what to do) would be great, thanks in advance.

Sims.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:57:10 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
In-ear monitoring system is the way to go.
You will need something like the Behringer HA-8000 for example + in-ear kits.

However you will also need an audio interface with several outputs, something like the Behringer UMC 404 HD has 4 ins and 4 outs (even though only 3 can be used). A much better solution is to use a Behringer X Air 18 for example which has 18 ins and 18 outs which can be used via ASIO drivers too.

Then it's only a matter of setting your audio sources in vMix Busses and routing them accordindly to your needs.

You did not mention which mixer you have or if you have an audio interface but I don't think you can do it with your actual equipments
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 7/9/2020(UTC), Tone13 on 9/25/2020(UTC)
AudioGreg  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2020 1:47:01 PM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
basically you need to set up another mix for your talent. obviously everything in the show goes to the Master buss for the viewing audience. creating another mix that just goes to the talent is a workflow you will find in any type of network broadcast. personally I would make one mix for your studio talent, and yet another mix for the remote guests. You can do this in vMix, lets say we use Buss A for the studio and Buss B for the remote guests. Now you can assign whatever you want each group to hear, just make sure these busses DO NOT go back into the Master buss. Add your producer mic to these busses too (hoping you use some kind of PTT on/off switch). Assigning B to be what Skype hears is easy enough. For your studio you just need a local audio output on your computer for A to go to your studio guests. If you don't have a free audio port on your computer, adding a simple USB audio interface is easy enough. Bonus points if you can replace your tour guide system mic with this feed.

once you get talent mixes working you have SO much more flexibility and everybody can hear what they need without affecting the main show mix. shout back if you need more specific setup help.
thanks 2 users thanked AudioGreg for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 7/9/2020(UTC), Simsyuk on 7/9/2020(UTC)
Simsyuk  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2020 6:19:04 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: AudioGreg Go to Quoted Post
basically you need to set up another mix for your talent. obviously everything in the show goes to the Master buss for the viewing audience. creating another mix that just goes to the talent is a workflow you will find in any type of network broadcast. personally I would make one mix for your studio talent, and yet another mix for the remote guests. You can do this in vMix, lets say we use Buss F for the studio and Buss G for the remote guests. Now you can assign whatever you want each group to hear, just make sure these busses DO NOT go back into the Master buss. Add your producer mic to these busses too (hoping you use some kind of PTT on/off switch). Assigning G to be what Skype hears is easy enough. For your studio you just need a local audio output on your computer for F to go to your studio guests. If you don't have a free audio port on your computer, adding a simple USB audio interface is easy enough. Bonus points if you can replace your tour guide system mic with this feed.

once you get talent mixes working you have SO much more flexibility and everybody can hear what they need without affecting the main show mix. shout back if you need more specific setup help.

Thanks for offering your support, may I ask if you could break it down, I managed to sort it for one show but now I can't recall what I did. I've tried to follow the instructions again but I'm getting lost on the Buses!

I did the following:
Mics (4x) plugged into usb mixer
Producer (me), mic plugged into pc mic port - vMix audio input (Bus A)
vMix output (pc headphone socket) plugged in to the tour guide so my presenters and me can hear the Skype caller, the problem is they can hear themselves.

I know I've done this wrong, so any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AudioGreg  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2020 2:40:43 AM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

Sure.

Master - final output to the world/audience. Assign all sound sources to this bus, except for your producer mic

A Bus - lets use this for your studio hosts. Assign only what you want them to hear...producer, remote guests, videos, music.

B Bus - lets use this for what your remote guest hear. Assign...producer, studio hosts, videos, music.

To recap, Studio mics assign to Master and B, Remote guests assign to Master and A, Producer mic assigns to A and B, videos and music assign to Master, A and B.

Then it's just a matter of assigning the Master to your stream output (defaults this way), Bus A to your headphone jack/tour guide system, and Bus B to Skype
thanks 1 user thanked AudioGreg for this useful post.
Simsyuk on 9/2/2020(UTC)
Simsyuk  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2020 2:29:49 AM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

You are an Angel, thank you so much.
Simsyuk  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 6:27:57 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Sure.

Master - final output to the world/audience. Assign all sound sources to this bus, except for your producer mic

A Bus - lets use this for your studio hosts. Assign only what you want them to hear...producer, remote guests, videos, music.

B Bus - lets use this for what your remote guest hear. Assign...producer, studio hosts, videos, music.

To recap, Studio mics assign to Master and B, Remote guests assign to Master and A, Producer mic assigns to A and B, videos and music assign to Master, A and B.

Then it's just a matter of assigning the Master to your stream output (defaults this way), Bus A to your headphone jack/tour guide system, and Bus B to Skype

Me again, sorry for being a pest but finally got around to testing it, the following seems to be working great.

Presenters can hear me
Skype caller can hear me
Presenters can hear the Skype caller
Skype caller can not hear the presenters.

I've followed the instructions above but for some reason the Skype guest can't hear the presenters. I've looked under the Skype settings to see if vMix is listed as a sound input but only NDI audio and the basic microphone input.

With that in mind, I placed the audio mixer (presenter mics) into the microphone input and changed the mic input under the Skype settings, but still no change, it's all strange why they can't hear the presenters!

Any suggestions please?
zenvideo  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 8:07:35 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Simsyuk Go to Quoted Post

Skype caller can not hear the presenters.

I've followed the instructions above but for some reason the Skype guest can't hear the presenters. I've looked under the Skype settings to see if vMix is listed as a sound input but only NDI audio and the basic microphone input.

With that in mind, I placed the audio mixer (presenter mics) into the microphone input and changed the mic input under the Skype settings, but still no change, it's all strange why they can't hear the presenters!

Any suggestions please?

You seem to have a problem with Skype and using the Mic Input (even when using a microphone into it?) if it doesn't register anything with the mixer output connected to it (via something to reduce the output down to mic level, I presume). You probably need to start there, working out how to get something working as an audio input to Skype before dealing with the vMix end of it.

Ultimately, from the suggested plan above, you're trying to use the vMix B-bus output as the input to Skype. It could be done via NDI, but you could also try using a Virtual Audio Cable (from VB-Audio). This is like an audio output (playback device) and an input (recording device) that are linked together. So you would set the output device for Bus B (in the vMix settings) to play out to the VAC and the audio input in Skype to use the VAC as the input.
AudioGreg  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2020 9:18:00 AM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

You'll need to use one of the four extra outputs vMix provides as your return source to Skype. In the vMix setting under Outputs/NDI/SRT, you'll see the 2 main fullscreen outputs that always have Master audio. Below that are outputs 1-4, pick one for Skype. Select the video you want the Skype callers to see, and then click the gear icon. On this page at the very top is a drop down list where you can select what audio goes with the pictures, select Buss B. Click OK. from there I'm guessing you want to NDI over to your Skype computer, so make sure the NDI is turned on for this output (Green).
Simsyuk  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2020 1:33:17 AM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Thanks all for your help, I'll give it a go on Sunday when I'm using it again.
Tone13  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2020 8:25:34 AM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi there, not wanting to hijack the thread but I'm looking at doing the same/similar setup so didn't think there was any point in starting a new topic.

I have been doing a show with 8 vMix Callers and setup comms to each of them separately using audio buses so I'm ok with setting that up. I now need to bring three of those 'vMix callers'into the studio as they are the main presenters.

I'm guessing I can just buy an audio interface with four outputs and route the buses I originally made to feed their vMix Calls return audio (Buses A-C) to an audio interface with multiple outputs allowing me to customise each feed to each presenter and allow me to talk to one at a time if needed?

@DWAM, is there any advantage of having the Behringer HA-8000 if I use an audio interface with 4+ outputs and only have three presenters?

Cheers

EDIT: I have just looked up the Behringer X AIR XR18 and have a few questions. This might be the time to start a new thread so let me know if that's the case...Im a complete noob when it comes to audio interfaces!

I like to keep all my audio inside of vMix if possible as it gives me the greatest flexibility for routing different sources to remote contributors. To avoid using an external mixer and feeding it's 'flattened' two channel output to vMix, I feed my on set talent mics into the cameras....presenter 1 into camera 1, presenter two into camera 2 and so on. I then bring these into vMix via the embedded camera signal via a decklink Quad 2. This means I have access to each microphone for easy audio routing in vMix. At the same time, I need to set up audio buses for comms to the presenters and am wanting to send buses out to them so I can tailor what each presenter gets from inside vMix.

My question is, can an audio interface like the Behringer X AIR XR18 look after all my audio needs (3 presenter mics into vmix and 3 presenter talk back channels via vmix Audio buss outputs) while showing up each input and output in vmix separately with complete independent control of each channel and routing in vMix? This means I could plug each presenter microphone directly into the Xr18 (bypassing the camera) and make use of the future Dugan Automix feature that is coming to it. I have used Dugan Automix on Yamaha mixes and really like it for one man band streams.

Hope that makes sense? Happy to post this in a new thread if too off topic to the original poster.

Cheers
AudioGreg  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2020 12:08:45 PM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

The XR18 is very functional as an interface and a good choice for local vMix audio IO. It's also an excellent stand alone mixer too.

Bringing your remote talent in locally is pretty straightforward, esp if your show is already built for the remote options. The XR18 will allow you to bring in mics individually (or mixed if you prefer) via USB and vMix can pick them up from there. Pair this audio with a local camera in place of the remote call and away you go.

The great thing about using the XR18 as an interface, is that you can leverage all of it's digital tricks like EQ/dynamics/FX on your microphones before you send them out the USB. And you get 18x18 USB IO although it only really has 18in 8out on it's analog connectors. Still, a ton of bang for the buck.

One note, while you can send all of the mics individually to vMix, the Dugan style auto mix only works when mixing them in the XR18, and then handing that mix to vMix.

If you already have return audio/IFB built for the remote talents on vMix audio busses, then just assign them to one of the XR18 USB inputs and then out to an XLR output. From there, I like the Behringer P2, a simple wired IEM amplifier. Connect this via XLR cable to the XR18 output and give them an earbud.

So now your talent has a local camera, and mic/IEM in your studio. On with the show as they say...
thanks 1 user thanked AudioGreg for this useful post.
Tone13 on 9/25/2020(UTC)
Tone13  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2020 2:14:16 PM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

The XR18 is very functional as an interface and a good choice for local vMix audio IO. It's also an excellent stand alone mixer too.

Bringing your remote talent in locally is pretty straightforward, esp if your show is already built for the remote options. The XR18 will allow you to bring in mics individually (or mixed if you prefer) via USB and vMix can pick them up from there. Pair this audio with a local camera in place of the remote call and away you go.

The great thing about using the XR18 as an interface, is that you can leverage all of it's digital tricks like EQ/dynamics/FX on your microphones before you send them out the USB. And you get 18x18 USB IO although it only really has 18in 8out on it's analog connectors. Still, a ton of bang for the buck.

One note, while you can send all of the mics individually to vMix, the Dugan style auto mix only works when mixing them in the XR18, and then handing that mix to vMix.

If you already have return audio/IFB built for the remote talents on vMix audio busses, then just assign them to one of the XR18 USB inputs and then out to an XLR output. From there, I like the Behringer P2, a simple wired IEM amplifier. Connect this via XLR cable to the XR18 output and give them an earbud.

So now your talent has a local camera, and mic/IEM in your studio. On with the show as they say...

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm aware that the Dugan automix will only work on the mixed output of the Behringer but I'm thinking that I could use the main output that is automixed into vMix as the main source and use that as my main presenters audio. I could then also bring in the three presenter mics as three seperate audio inputs (ISO's) and use them for routing. Assuming that works, it should be a very versatile solution.
mtone  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2020 2:45:56 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tone13 Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, I'm aware that the Dugan automix will only work on the mixed output of the Behringer but I'm thinking that I could use the main output that is automixed into vMix as the main source and use that as my main presenters audio. I could then also bring in the three presenter mics as three seperate audio inputs (ISO's) and use them for routing. Assuming that works, it should be a very versatile solution.

I think what you have described will work.. you can actually download the X Air Edit software from Behringer and run it offline if you want to get a feel for the routing without hardware..

in addition i am fairly sure you could also route caller audio via vmix busses to use as XR18 mixer channel inputs and include them in Dugan groups also.. you would probably have to play round with delay settings to keep things aligned but i suspect that may work...

thinking about it... the XR18 seems like a good option for vmix and streaming productions in general as it also allows you to mix audio away from the vmix computer.. There has been discussion in another thread about Dante routing to a laptop for separate mixing which has some complications.. With digital mixers (that are also an audio interface) you should be able to connect via USB to the vmix machine and use with ASIO drivers and then also connect a second computer via network to run the mixing software to control the internal mixer..

I am more familiar with X32 but I think this sort of setup would work on XR18 as well..

EDITED.. just realised XR18 is the only X Air device that can be used as an audio interface so i have edited this post to indicate only XR18..
thanks 1 user thanked mtone for this useful post.
Tone13 on 9/25/2020(UTC)
Tone13  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2020 2:55:31 PM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

Originally Posted by: mtone Go to Quoted Post

I think what you have described will work.. you can actually download the X Air Edit software from Behringer and run it offline if you want to get a feel for the routing without hardware..

in addition i am fairly sure you could also route caller audio via vmix busses to use as XR18 mixer channel inputs and include them in Dugan groups also.. you would probably have to play round with delay settings to keep things aligned but i suspect that may work...

thinking about it... the X Air devices seem like a great option for vmix and streaming productions in general as they would also allow you to mix audio away from the vmix computer.. There has been discussion in another thread about Dante routing to a laptop for separate mixing which has some complications.. With digital mixers like this you should be able to connect via USB to the vmix machine and use as a standard ASIO audio interface and then also connect a second computer via ethernet (or tablet via wifi) to run the mixing software to control the X Air mixer..

I am more familiar with X32 but I think this sort of setup would work on X Air devices as well.. awesome flexibility especially given the X Air range is very affordable..

Some great ideas!

Yep, this seems like a really great solution all round for audio and super flexible.
I also like the idea of a proper sound person being able to do a mix on larger projects by using a connected ipad or midi controller directly to the Behringer and feeding that mixed source into vMix but at the same time, I as the vMix operator having access to each channel independently if needed for monitoring and comms.
mtone  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2020 3:13:26 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)

Some great ideas!

Yep, this seems like a really great solution all round for audio and super flexible.
I also like the idea of a proper sound person being able to do a mix on larger projects by using a connected ipad or midi controller directly to the Behringer and feeding that mixed source into vMix but at the same time, I as the vMix operator having access to each channel independently if needed for monitoring and comms.

yeah pretty sure you can do all this.. might just take a bit of thought with routing but from what i can tell all the features are there..

if you use end up using it as a separate mixer, the best part is the signal never leaves the device so it wouldnt introduce extra latency beyond what is already inherent with the device anyway.. this should be much better than Dante and a separate laptop with VST plugins or running out to analog console and back.. not to mention the Dugan features help for anyone doing group discussions.
DWAM  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2020 5:41:34 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
@DWAM, is there any advantage of having the Behringer HA-8000 if I use an audio interface with 4+ outputs and only have three presenters?

Outputs on an audio interface are not supposed to feed headhones but line level equipments. Furthermore in general you can't set the volume on outputs.
That's where the HA-8000 is handy. It brings you 2 INS (that I feed from vMix busses according to my needs) which you can route to any of the 8 headphones preamps and you can adjust volume individually for each talent (which is a must imho)
Tone13  
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:12:13 AM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

Outputs on an audio interface are not supposed to feed headhones but line level equipments. Furthermore in general you can't set the volume on outputs.
That's where the HA-8000 is handy. It brings you 2 INS (that I feed from vMix busses according to my needs) which you can route to any of the 8 headphones preamps and you can adjust volume individually for each talent (which is a must imho)

Ah, yep....I'm planning on feeding the 3x audio interface outputs with the presenters comms into a wireless IFB system so that I have three independent channels and my producer can talk to each one separately if needed. Or, if I can get away without needing the wirless, will use the Behringer P2or PM1 headphone monitors so each presenter can control their own level.

Thanks