logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nomski  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 5:33:56 PM(UTC)
nomski

Groups: Registered

Is there any information on the change to the Audio buffer in the latest update? We've been experiencing some really bad audio and video glitches that we are currently trying to get to the bottom of. I'm wondering if this update could help us out.

Our latest test is to use a PCIe NIC instead of the onboard port which for some reason, seems to have stopped them. Does anyone know if it's even possible for this to make a difference? The glitching seems to build up over time during a day and gets to the point where we get a lock-up of video and audio for around 0.5-1s once every 5 minutes (and it's nearly exactly every 5 minutes) which was pretty terrible when we were live!
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 6:14:13 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
Hi,

Malfunctioning drivers on a system can cause latency and glitching issues in rare cases.
LatencyMon is a good tool for detecting these kinds of issues.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

The change in the latest update is specifically for the Audio Outputs when used with ASIO audio devices.
ASIO audio devices typically demand lower latency then a system processing large amounts of video can handle,
so we have added a dynamic buffer to add more latency when needed in these cases, but it is not related
to latency issues in general, which are typically due to a system being overloaded or some malfunctioning drivers.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
nomski  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 11:00:00 PM(UTC)
nomski

Hi Martin, thanks for the response. We've tried using latencymon to get to the bottom of it but not with any success. We've just updated to the most recent version of vMix anyway. We do currently use an ASIO interface and Dante virtual soundcard in our setup so seems like a good update to have.

I can try again with latencymon but I'm not really sure if it will get us anywhere. It's very frustrating.
newmans  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 8:13:42 AM(UTC)
newmans

Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Done a Show with the .61 this evening.
Dante VS Output was perfect.

But Dante input keeps dropping over time. Over 200 Dropped "Frames" on all 3 Dante Inputs in 90min Show.
Restarted DVS and vMix prior Show, then connected 5 Calls, 1 SDI In via Decklink Duo2, 1 SDI Out, stream an recording.

System:

Supermicro X299 Mainboard
Intel Core i9 10900X
16GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro P2200 5GB

Markus
Vince Beck  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 9:27:18 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
The dropout issue has been plaguing us as well. This happens on a few systems but mostly on 2019 Macbook Pros on Bootcamp (i9 8 core CPUS / 32Gigs of Ram.

This happens on Focurites and UMC404 HD even with just one input.

Everything else is super stable with barely used CPU/GPU and render times in the low 5ms.
nomski  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 6:18:24 PM(UTC)
nomski

H again. After hours of testing it looks like the culprit (maybe) is USBXHCI.SYS

With vMix closed wdf01000.sys is running at about 0.01 in latency mon and USBXHCI.sys doesn't show at all in WPA. As soon as vMix is opened this climbs to 0.2 in latency mon and as soon as it reaches above one we hear and/or see glitchy audio and video. At times, this goes up to 3.5ms etc. If I re-run WPA at this point, USBXHCI.sys is at the top of the list.

Does this make any sense? Also, if vMix is not open, USBXHCI.sys isn't showing at all and it jumps into life when vMix begins to run. Is it required?

Thanks in advance
nomski  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 8:19:45 PM(UTC)
nomski

For want of a better word. I'm losing my s*$t. I cannot get to the bottom of this. I'm starting to consider things like wirecast to resolve my problem but feel like that's just another world of pain.

nomski  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 10:24:39 PM(UTC)
nomski

I think I have made some progress. We are using a Presonus 24r. With the Presonus interface using any inputs or outputs in the vMix preset we get really high execute times on latencymon and it intermittently glitches. So question 1 is whether anyone is using the same interface with no issues and question 2 is whether Martin can shed any light on why this might be happening.

I'm going to add the Presonus question as a new thread for maximum views and hopefully responses.
newmans  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 2:17:23 AM(UTC)
newmans

Germany

I'm not only having Drops with Dante but also with my behringer umc404hd.
admin  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 2:37:51 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
nomski,

As it is a hardware issue you will likely experience problems regardless of software on that computer, so not much we can do about that in vMix.
I would suggest checking for the latest drivers for everything possible, then unplugging all USB devices etc one by one to try and track down the culprit.

This is certainly not a normal thing, and doesn't occur for most users, but in some cases unfortunately bad drivers can cause problems
and it is often difficult to track down in those rare cases.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 9/19/2020(UTC)
nomski  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 5:29:10 PM(UTC)
nomski

Hi Martin,

It's definitely the Presonus 24r, it's fine in a DAW environment but something in the mix is clearly not compatible. I'm not blaming vMix it's just luck of the draw I suppose! Do you know of a big USB audio interface that is tried and tested with vMix?

Thanks!
mtone  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 6:58:24 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
RME make good audio interfaces... not sure how tested they are with vmix but a lot of people recommend their devices with DAWs.. they are expensive though..

Martin.. could it be possible drop outs like this are related to the way in which vmix fixes the buffer settings ? i saw you posted that it uses a minimum of 960 but that seems an unusual number.. no audio interfaces or DAWs ive used have that setting manually.. its always 512, 768 or 1024 etc.. (some dont even use 768).. maybe their is something in the way certain drivers are written that doesnt expect 960 or other "non standard" intervals and therefore leads to glitches ?

for example DVS user guide only lists 512 and 1024... https://dev.audinate.com...help/content/options.htm

is there any reason why it starts with 960 and not 1024 ?
mtone  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 7:44:49 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: newmans Go to Quoted Post
Done a Show with the .61 this evening.
Dante VS Output was perfect.

But Dante input keeps dropping over time. Over 200 Dropped "Frames" on all 3 Dante Inputs in 90min Show.
Restarted DVS and vMix prior Show, then connected 5 Calls, 1 SDI In via Decklink Duo2, 1 SDI Out, stream an recording.

Markus

are you using any other audio interfaces on the vmix machine along with DVS or is DVS the only audio device and then just sending to a stream ?
newmans  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2020 8:56:56 PM(UTC)
newmans

Germany

yes and no, but it won´t change anything if i´m using another or not.
newmans  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 4:30:47 PM(UTC)
newmans

Germany

After testing a lot, i found this behaviour:

If there are no Calls or SRT Input running, everything is fine, no drops on ASIO Inputs.
As soon as I connect to Calls, or other connect to Calls, vMix begins to Drop Audio on my ASIO Inputs.
If I disconnect all Calls or end SRT, everything is fine again.

Markus